Author Topic: If Thy Kingdom Come had dropped in 97...  (Read 845 times)

Will_B

If Thy Kingdom Come had dropped in 97...
« on: January 17, 2016, 04:01:13 PM »
Would it have been well received?

INTD-90108 VA - Christmas On Death Row
UPC 606949010829

INTD-90109 The Lady Of Rage - Necessary Roughness

INTD-90110 Vibrolush - Vibrolush

INTD-90111 The Whispers ‎- Song Book Volume One

INTD-90112 Jane Jensen - Comic Book Whore

INTD-90113 King T - Thy Kingdom Come

INTD-90114 VA - Gridlock'd Soundtrack

Hack Wilson - real

Re: If Thy Kingdom Come had dropped in 97...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:35:19 PM »
Thought it was for 98

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 06:07:38 PM »
yeah it was 98'... and no it wouldn't of been well-received by Dre's standards.  Reason I say that is that "Got It Locked" generated very little buzz on the mainstream.  Best case scenario it could of created buzz out West and amongst the more devout hip-hop heads and moved it's way to platinum.  I think it would've definitely gone gold on the strength of Dre's name alone with the way record sales were at that time.  Ultimately it would've been a quality record and headz respected quality back then so it would've turned a profit for sure.... damn shame it wasn't released summer of 98 cause the game needed it to keep the South from taking over
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 07:09:08 PM »
yeah it was 98'... and no it wouldn't of been well-received by Dre's standards.  Reason I say that is that "Got It Locked" generated very little buzz on the mainstream.  Best case scenario it could of created buzz out West and amongst the more devout hip-hop heads and moved it's way to platinum.  I think it would've definitely gone gold on the strength of Dre's name alone with the way record sales were at that time.  Ultimately it would've been a quality record and headz respected quality back then so it would've turned a profit for sure.... damn shame it wasn't released summer of 98 cause the game needed it to keep the South from taking over

I wish the song with Crooked I would leak

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 10:04:41 PM »
woulda gone gold, maybe plat....i remember one time i was workin at a record store in the summer of 98 and some kid came up to me with a source page that said "thy kingdome come - album available now", i told him "kid, it's not out, theres nothin i can do for you". he kept insisting it was out, furiously diggin through the "K" section in every genre, until he went into a demonic rage and started shouting at the top of his lungs "DRE NEVER LIES!!!", shit was crazy. jk@infinite- infamous story of thy kingdom come not comin out and the source lyin bout it.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 02:44:58 AM »
he went into a demonic rage and started shouting at the top of his lungs "DRE NEVER LIES!!!"

Dr Dre, providing urban youth with an idealized, gangsta ass father figure since 1991.  ;D

Will_B

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 02:55:38 AM »
Thought it was for 98

97/98. Was conceived earlier I guess and got pushed back a few times anyway

dnjp4life

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 03:45:12 AM »
I think it would have been well-received, but I don't think it would have sold particularly well coming off the back of the Aftermath compilation which many consider a disappointment.  If it had dropped shortly after 2001, or maybe even the Slim Shady LP for that matter, it mihgt have stood a chance to do some big numbers.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 03:57:02 AM »
woulda gone gold, maybe plat....i remember one time i was workin at a record store in the summer of 98 and some kid came up to me with a source page that said "thy kingdome come - album available now", i told him "kid, it's not out, theres nothin i can do for you". he kept insisting it was out, furiously diggin through the "K" section in every genre, until he went into a demonic rage and started shouting at the top of his lungs "DRE NEVER LIES!!!", shit was crazy. jk@infinite- infamous story of thy kingdom come not comin out and the source lyin bout it.

8) 8) 8) 8)

...true story, except for the demonic rage and "Dre Never Lies", lol...

...that was actually one of two heartbreaking tales from the record store that summer.  The other one was the first "Midnight Sale" I ever attended, the night of August 3rd when Snoop's The Game album dropped, I remember putting it in and actually thinking the first song "Welcome to My World" was dope (yeah I was an idiot that year) but by the end of the album I'd realized it was trash.  I remember I was so depressed I nearly gave my whole car away to some ficca who wanted to jack my ride that night

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 03:57:42 AM »
he went into a demonic rage and started shouting at the top of his lungs "DRE NEVER LIES!!!"

Dr Dre, providing urban youth with an idealized, gangsta ass father figure since 1991.  ;D

Dre has served as a great role model, father figure throughout my life.  Don't know where I'd be without him.

doggfather

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 05:53:50 AM »
Lol at dre neva lies.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Don Seer

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 05:57:46 AM »

Dr Dre, providing urban youth with an idealized, gangsta ass father figure since 1991.  ;D

8)

doggfather

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 08:29:32 AM »
If had came out its like tge aftermath compilation.
Real rap fans like it, but the world aint know about.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 08:40:31 AM »
If had came out its like tge aftermath compilation.
Real rap fans like it, but the world aint know about.

Dre had so much juice in 96', and juice at MTV at the time... I mean I've watched documentaries about how this guy and Kurt Cobain basically made MTV what it was.  The programming director said that the station wasn't much, until suddenly the perfect storm developed and he had Nirvana in one hand and the Chronic in the other, and it blew up from there.

So anyway, MTV was playing his "Been THere Done That" video a bit, and they gave him some positive press.  He had a Source cover and the big controversy with leaving Death Row, East/West war, etc.  So Aftermath Compilation had a ton of things going for it that King Tee did not.

I mean, Dre had experienced 3 flops since leaving Death Row.  Aftermath Comp had flopped, The Firm had flopped.  And his Bullworth soundtrack single with LL Cool J had flopped.  So MTV was starting to run out of favors for Dre.  They weren't gonna show any love to King Tee.  And the Source wasn't gonna put King Tee on the cover either.  He was gonna get some play at BET but that was about it.

...so long story short Aftermath Comp got some run in the mainstream that pushed it to double platinum.  But King Tee was likely goin gold.

...btw, I consider "East/West Killaz" to be one of the greatest, most important, under-rated, and timely hip-hop songs of all-time.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:23:25 AM by Infinite Trapped In 1996 »

Fresh Bone

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 10:57:19 AM »
Can't deny 'Let's Make a V' being a single  8)

Quik killed the beat and his verse  :rock: