Author Topic: For all the talk Dre and Cube only recorded 1 track for Heltar Skeltar?  (Read 1108 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Even the track they did was already done by Dre and Sam Sneed.  Seems like they did a lot of studio time and publicity for just one song?
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Okka

Re: For all the talk Dre and Cube only recorded 1 track for Heltar Skeltar?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 09:11:36 AM »
They supposedly recorded a song called "Gimme Fifty Feet" and if i remember right somebody said it was a diss to Eazy-E. I think they at least recorded a few songs together.

Blasphemy

• 'G'
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »
Even the track they did was already done by Dre and Sam Sneed.  Seems like they did a lot of studio time and publicity for just one song?
They never had full time sessions dedicated to recording that album, the bulk of it was talks, plus the 1 poster that Death Row Released. The Era they talked about it was more around 94-95, both had other projects that took precedent over the recording of that album, it was also the time Dr. Dre was slowly working on The Chronic 2, combined with his work on what did get released. From what I've gather Dr. Dre post doggystyle was just going into the studio working on random songs, he never really sat down and forced a entire album type recording session. Honestly when you look at how he does his work it's clear as day he only does that when he needs to.

SOC/Eazy E/DOC was all needed to be released one after another in order to capitalize on the success of the hype.

Nigga 4 Life was made to show the group could do it without Ice Cube, especially because he was basically releasing an album every year.

The Chronic was done fast because he needed to show he could do a Solo album and needed it in order to start Death Row

Doggystyle was needed in order to sell Snoop Dogg at the top of his hype, and even then it wasn't completely finished.

All of Aftermaths projects was done in a timely manner (The ones that did get released) so he can start up the label, then Slim Shadys stuff got released in a timely manner so he can get the hype sells, and eventually he did his own record to show the industry he still had the stuff.

But it's clear from everyone who's worked with him Dr. Dre doesn't stay concentrated on the over all project unless he needs to and might become obsessed with 1 track for a long ass time.

The second issue with the Helter Skelter project was DOC took the lyrics and made his own version of the album. So because he took the bulk of the lyrics/concepts they both decided it wasn't worth releasing there own version especially since they couldn't come up with an album name to match the theme they were gonna go with (End of the World, Chaotic, apocalyptic) and that the DOC's version was possibly going to deal with the same themes.

To be honest I haven't heard  the DOCs version in a long ass time, did it stick with the themes? or did it end up just doing gangster rap again?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 09:37:38 AM »

To be honest I haven't heard  the DOCs version in a long ass time, did it stick with the themes? or did it end up just doing gangster rap again?

To my knowledge the only thing the DOC stole was just the album title.

Okka

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 09:56:23 AM »

He took some of the themes too. That's why Dre chose to scrap the album.

Fresh Bone

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 09:59:59 AM »
I swear there are at least 4 confirmed songs for 'Helter Skelter';

1. Natural Born Killers
2. Gimme 50 Feet
3. Can't C Me (Original)
4. Cant remember the name of the 4th song lol

donfathaimmortal

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 10:18:57 AM »

"Da Hereafter" ("The Year After" / Original version) was previously written and recorded on Death Row with Sean Barney Thomas over a Dre beat. Erotic D also said that there were some instrumentals made by Dr Dre for this album but it seems that a lot of songs were incomplete.

There's also the track "Endonesia" (featuring Ice Cube)

--- EROTIC D INTERVIEW ---

f you have anything back then that you can give up I don’t know what I would give to hear that...
Erotic D : I’m going to try to dig some of it up because me and my artist Six-Two, he be lying about he discovered him and shit. That n-gga been with me since right around the time I was doing Helter Skelter. He was 16 at the time and he had a group called Genocide. I was keeping in touch with them while I was doing Helter Skelter in Atlanta. Before I took him to Dre, Snoop and Daz came by my studio one day and we got to messing around and I have this track where me and Six-Two were rapping against Snoop and Daz. Man, that shit is dope! I got to pull that shit out and let n-ggaz listen to that. I got all kinds of shit from Dre and Doc, and a bunch of motherf-ckers you ain’t never heard of we ended up not putting them out.

Damn, I would love to hear those tracks!
Erotic D : Ah yeah, you fucks with your boy and I am going to take care of you. I got record where you will be like he worked with that n-gga damn I wonder what that sounds like. See I don’t want to produce nobody that already sounds like somebody. I want a motherf-cker that sounds like some old school shit that we used to be able to get away with. I got a little project that I am working on that I will be sharing with you in the next couple of months I got a solo album that I am getting ready to drop soon so I will most def get you a couple of that.

Helter Skelter, what’s the history behind that with you? Dre was talking about this record, before it came out were you supposed to be on that.
Erotic D : N*gga, me and Dre are so tight that I can get on any record that he put out; I just refuse to sit up under Dre like some of these n-ggaz. As far as n-ggaz not coming out I feel I get a better play from Dre because I don’t rely on Dre, so yeah I was going to be on Helter Skelter. You want to know some sh-t? At the time when DOC told me the record was going to be called Helter Skelter I felt really disrespected, but at the same time them n-ggaz broke me off really, really nice. I was getting paid for doing what I was supposed to. Dre hadn't put the record out yet and DOC told me straight up that he wanted to name the record that before Dre could so that was the only motivation behind that title.

From that record, were some of those tracks old Dre tracks?
Erotic D : No, that was all me. I was in the studio for 8 months thinking how I can shock the world. The only thing I used was the original beat that came in by itself on the Brand New Formula, because Doc requested that. I just looped that instrumental, but all them drum breaks and all that was all live sh-t. I hired some of the best musicians I could find to play. The bass lines was live, the saxophones were live, the congas was my sh*t. 80% of helter Skelter was all live drums. We just mixed the sh*t out of those motherf-ckers!
I had five hundred thousand dollars so I didn't have to work, EVER! *laughs*. I ain't got to watch my mouth; I’m the captain of the ship. DOC gave me the keys and the concept of what he wanted and I created all that. He wanted to use a couple of old Dre tracks though and Dre put an injunction on the record which I was like God Damn there is a God thank you. Cause I don’t want to steal nobody music we ain't got to do that. There was one track he wanted to use called "The year after", bringing us back to the two faced n-gga Sean Thomas the keyboard, I let him hear the song and he played keyboards on the original song so he went back and told Dre before the record came out. At the time I was pissed of at him but I should have thanked him because that gave me a chance to remix the record.

Did you ever get to hear any of the stuff Dre and Cube had cooked up?
Erotic D : Ahh, yea, fa sho! When I get to kick it with Dre I hear all kinds of shit that shit was dope, my n-gga.

Do you know anything about a record called 'Gimme 50 Feet'?
Erotic D : No, When Dre do records he never really knows who the beat is going to be for; if it was for 50 Cent, Ice Cube, Em or whoever you know what I'm saying? So I might have heard the beat without anybody on it, but as far as a song ‘Gimme 50 Feet’, I don’t know anything about that. Dre don’t title his records while he is working on them.

Do you know how far along they were with that original record.
Erotic D : I believe Dre told me that they didn't get to far cause conflict of whose label it was going to be on and certain things that Dre didn't want said and Cube wanted to be viewed as boss cause he is a boss, but the word I got out of Dre is basically they didn't get to far. They couldn’t work out the specifics.

I know they had Natural Born Killaz, but I didn’t know if there were anymore?
Erotic D : Yeah they had a few more, but I don’t know the titles of any of them, but those motherf-ckers were ridiculous! They were dope!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:26:09 AM by donfathaimmortal »
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

Blasphemy

• 'G'
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 03:23:41 PM »

1. Natural Born Killers
2. Gimme 50 Feet
3. Can't C Me (Original)
Hhmmmmm if you see the two songs we did hear (NBK/Can't C Me) it's very clear to hear the creative differences on this album. NBK fits the original would be theme of the album, while Can't C Me was just another typical G-Funk record.

It seems obvious Dr. Dre wanted to go into another direction besides gangsta rap at the time, Maybe it was all the gangbanging on death row at the time, but in the NBK video they had the visual representation of Gangsta rap dying with the lowrider going into the water. Dr. Dre tried going in a different direction with "Been there Done That" and the reason he left Death Row is because he was tired of the gangsterism that was infecting the entire place, I mean it's clear as day he runs Aftermath in a much more professional way less aggressive manner. I mean you can tell from the early aftermath releases he didn't want to put down the same G-rap he was doing before. I mean shit it was a total of 9 years with the same lyrical concept obviously he got tired of it.  Then he finds Eminem who's go this more comedic style that contains over the top violence, and dealing with weird ass issues and was lyrically amazing. It was perfect for his creative outlet.

I believe the Can't C Me track was Ice Cubes influence on the record, Ice Cube went straight back to gangster rap around that time, he had stopped all the political stuff was doing, from the speeches on gang violence and the hypocrisy of the government, and went back to his original style. People always seem to forget it was Ice Cubes lyrical style that was the origins of gangsta rap street content. Everyone mentions boyz n the hood and Eazy E but remember Ice Cube wrote those words not Eazy. So when he went back to Gangster rap it was him going back to his original style. It was clear as day he wanted to keep doing that style of music, at the time it's clear he reveled in the style, Look at all the records he was attached too during that period, he had Lethal Injection, K-Dees record, WC, WSC. It's obvious he didn't want to really stop making gangsta rap, so maybe he didn't actually write that many mind altering songs for the album. Maybe his contributions was just the typical lyrics Dr. Dre was just tired of.

Maybe the DOC had written the lyrical themes Dr. Dre wanted and when he left Dre figure cube wasn't going to change his stance anytime soon.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 01:58:51 AM »

1. Natural Born Killers
2. Gimme 50 Feet
3. Can't C Me (Original)
Hhmmmmm if you see the two songs we did hear (NBK/Can't C Me) it's very clear to hear the creative differences on this album. NBK fits the original would be theme of the album, while Can't C Me was just another typical G-Funk record.

It seems obvious Dr. Dre wanted to go into another direction besides gangsta rap at the time, Maybe it was all the gangbanging on death row at the time, but in the NBK video they had the visual representation of Gangsta rap dying with the lowrider going into the water. Dr. Dre tried going in a different direction with "Been there Done That" and the reason he left Death Row is because he was tired of the gangsterism that was infecting the entire place, I mean it's clear as day he runs Aftermath in a much more professional way less aggressive manner. I mean you can tell from the early aftermath releases he didn't want to put down the same G-rap he was doing before. I mean shit it was a total of 9 years with the same lyrical concept obviously he got tired of it.  Then he finds Eminem who's go this more comedic style that contains over the top violence, and dealing with weird ass issues and was lyrically amazing. It was perfect for his creative outlet.

I believe the Can't C Me track was Ice Cubes influence on the record, Ice Cube went straight back to gangster rap around that time, he had stopped all the political stuff was doing, from the speeches on gang violence and the hypocrisy of the government, and went back to his original style. People always seem to forget it was Ice Cubes lyrical style that was the origins of gangsta rap street content. Everyone mentions boyz n the hood and Eazy E but remember Ice Cube wrote those words not Eazy. So when he went back to Gangster rap it was him going back to his original style. It was clear as day he wanted to keep doing that style of music, at the time it's clear he reveled in the style, Look at all the records he was attached too during that period, he had Lethal Injection, K-Dees record, WC, WSC. It's obvious he didn't want to really stop making gangsta rap, so maybe he didn't actually write that many mind altering songs for the album. Maybe his contributions was just the typical lyrics Dr. Dre was just tired of.

Maybe the DOC had written the lyrical themes Dr. Dre wanted and when he left Dre figure cube wasn't going to change his stance anytime soon.

Would be quite a story behind "Can't C Me" if it went from Heltar Skeltar to Dogg Food to All Eyez On Me.  But Pac killed it and ultimately it all worked out when Pac blessed it.

Goon_574

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 07:22:54 AM »

1. Natural Born Killers
2. Gimme 50 Feet
3. Can't C Me (Original)

i think the last track was "Indonesia"

those are the ones listed in the wideawake documents or whatever it is that list all the tracks and reels

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 09:54:17 AM »
Sam Sneed made a beat with the same sample as D.O.C's 'hot, hot, hot, I'm burning up' (can't remember the name of the song) when he was making beats for the Streets Scholars LP and Dre's Helter Skelter, dunno which project his was for. Or is that da hereafter? And Barney Rubble deserves the credit?

But I thought D.O.C recreated some of the samples Dre was gonna use, lyrics and theme of the LP to piss off Dre.

Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 09:55:50 AM »
And wasn't California Love at one point allegedly for the Helter Skelter project?
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

Mietek23

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 01:34:14 PM »
And wasn't California Love at one point allegedly for the Helter Skelter project?

Nope, it was meant to be the first single from Chronic II.

abusive

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 04:51:44 PM »
I'm confused as hell here. I distinctly remember The D.O.C. saying that Dre wanted him to read all sorts of crazy books and write him a dark apocalyptic album which was to be called Helter Skelter. Am I missing something here?
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

Blasphemy

• 'G'
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 06:17:49 AM »
I'm confused as hell here. I distinctly remember The D.O.C. saying that Dre wanted him to read all sorts of crazy books and write him a dark apocalyptic album which was to be called Helter Skelter. Am I missing something here?
I'm pretty sure that was the original artistic goal however, it's very possible that they realized the album might just be branded as a "Horror Core" type of album and not what they saw it as. You gotta remember at the time (and still today) Gangster rap (especially the westcoast flavor back then) was basically the type of rap that was selling huge. I'm pretty sure after the DOC Left and was making his version Dr. Dre figured no way would 2 albums with similar themes sell big in either case, especially so close to each other.  This always made me wonder if that's where Suge Knight got the idea of stealing album names from, because I remember  The Chronic 2000, everyone was talking about how he stole Dr. Dres album name, lol dre must of been pissed like "really again?".