Author Topic: Older headz... what was your reaction when 7 Day Theory first hit stores?  (Read 815 times)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
Re: Older headz... what was your reaction when 7 Day Theory first hit stores?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 05:58:22 PM »
Got my copy early...I thought it was odd, raw, spiteful, passionate and amazing

I thought 2 live and die in LA sounded all kinds of out of place.

smile4menow

• 'G'
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 07:00:01 PM »
first time i heard it was at blockbuster music on ventura blvd in sherman oaks ca (obviously long gone now, it was a quick bus ride from north hollywood). if heads remember how that store worked you could listen to music there for free, and didnt have to purchase anything. i remember the buzz around the album atthe time at first was mixed, i distinctly remember there being a not so great review of the album in rap pages at the time ( i could be wrong tho). i was expecting something like 'all eyes' so yeah, a little disappointed too. i do rememeber liking "to live and die in LA" and 'hail mary' from jump tho. most of my homies weren't feeling it at first either, untill later that spring once more of the songs were getting burn on power and the beat if i recall correctly. i dont think toss it up as the first lead video helped much either, aside from the dre diss.
I've been to tower on The strip, near dublins.How far from Ventura? That trip was a mess for me lol I remember almost nothing. I almost moved out there in 98. Had a homie who lived in Santa Clarita, worked at the picture place in six flags. I came out for an interview but they wouldn't pay me enough to move out there. I met some real nice peeps who worked at 6 flags... Even karaoked Hail Mary with one of them in a dive bar lol. We made trip to a strip clue near tarzana where one of the hoe's we were with got raped.... Don't ask odd night lol

doggfather

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 10:42:26 PM »
(NOT TROLLING)

to be honest, simply just dont give a f.ck. neva was a Pac fan, dont really like his music either. And in 1996 there was Xzibit and ras kass debut, Westside Connection, Snoop Dogg, Mc Eiht, Mc Ren just from the west i liked. Cant remember, but not sure i even checked in a year...

lmao

?
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 10:50:59 PM »
doggfather sounds like a turd with that post in here

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 11:12:18 PM »
Good replies ya'll. Seems like many can recall this event in detail.

I didn't understanding why the album was under Makaveli and not physically saying 2Pac on it.  But I figured I'd buy it anyway.  So on my way back home, I was confused and thought I got duped because the album looked so simple, compared to All Eyez on Me.  It seemed like a bootleg since the booklet was literally just that single-fold one without a single picture aside from the cover, and with a handprint on the inside.

Yeah, the album almost gave me that "Concrete Roots" type of effect—where you might've wondered if it was a real release or not.  

Now, on youtube there is a classic Suge Knight MTV interview of him talking about a week after Pac's death and he discusses the album.  He even mentions that Pac and Nas had made amends but that he (Suge) was gonna leave the album as it was because Pac wasn't around to change it.  There was also supposedly a "Toss It Up" video already out promoting the album.  (With Pac's popularity it seems strange the video wouldn't have gotten more play)  So there was certainly some talk and publicity on the album, but I don't remember hearing or seeing any of it.  The "Live and Die in L.A." got a lot of video/radio play but it didn't really come out till a month after the album dropped.

The way this album was shrouded in mystery could only have happened before the net really took off.  This wouldn't be possible in our digital era now.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:17:25 PM by Infinite Trapped In 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 12:04:22 AM »
first time i heard it was at blockbuster music on ventura blvd in sherman oaks ca (obviously long gone now, it was a quick bus ride from north hollywood). if heads remember how that store worked you could listen to music there for free, and didnt have to purchase anything. i remember the buzz around the album atthe time at first was mixed, i distinctly remember there being a not so great review of the album in rap pages at the time ( i could be wrong tho). i was expecting something like 'all eyes' so yeah, a little disappointed too. i do rememeber liking "to live and die in LA" and 'hail mary' from jump tho. most of my homies weren't feeling it at first either, untill later that spring once more of the songs were getting burn on power and the beat if i recall correctly. i dont think toss it up as the first lead video helped much either, aside from the dre diss.
I've been to tower on The strip, near dublins.How far from Ventura? That trip was a mess for me lol I remember almost nothing. I almost moved out there in 98. Had a homie who lived in Santa Clarita, worked at the picture place in six flags. I came out for an interview but they wouldn't pay me enough to move out there. I met some real nice peeps who worked at 6 flags... Even karaoked Hail Mary with one of them in a dive bar lol. We made trip to a strip clue near tarzana where one of the hoe's we were with got raped.... Don't ask odd night lol
the tower that used to be on the sunset strip (hollywood) is probably about 10 miles from the spot i was referring to on ventura blvd(sherman oaks/noho). i'm glad you got a chance to see southern cali, santa clarita is beautiful city but very boring (which im sure you found out), alot of people leave the valley/LA and head oyut there to raise their kids cuz its so much safer. yeah, the strip clubs in tarzana are more on the raunchy side, i usually dont fuck with that side of the valley much haha.
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

o g s u e s o n e

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 01:05:01 AM »
I remember that I bought 7 Day and Doggfather on the same day at my local record store. There was this sticker "2pac is Makaveli" on this disc which confused me a bit.
At home I listend to both disc from front to end and was at first dissapointed from the Snoop disc. The Makeveli disc was dark, different but had bangers like Toss It Up and To Live And Die In L.A. so I was satisfied with the things I heard so far. Weeks later I was only bumpin the best cuts from All Eyez On Me and 7 Day and the Doggfather was layin dusty in the corner.

OG-Hendogg

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 01:49:34 AM »
i bought the Makaveli CD like 2 weeks after it was released. I used to watch MTV daily at that time, i loved "to live and die in LA" wich they bumped heavily back then, and expected the Album to sound like that single. The album sounded odd to me at the beginning, it was its time far ahead, it grew up on me pretty fast. At the beginning i skipped many tracks, but more and more i gave the whole album a chance. I remember bumping it in the night with my headphones at full volume  ;D
In fact until today its my favorite CD  8)

fatalsoldier

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 03:35:25 AM »
My favorite Pac album. I don't remember where i was, but that shit was just on a whole new level. From beats to rhhymes and hooks. It was just perfect. I don't even want to call it a rap album. Its in its own lane. No one can ever do an album like that again. Best album in history imo.

JonnyTanna

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2016, 07:55:33 AM »
Man I'm glad someone made a topic about this as this was one of the strangest and mysterious album ever launched. I remembered checking in the HMV in Trocadero, Picadilly circus, for Tha Doggfather and saw Makaveli instead. Had no idea what it was so listened to it on their listening post and loved the intro (Bomb First was as dope an intro as 'Ol' School Shit' on Eazy-E's final album). If they didn't release all of those crappy compilations this would album would have been the cherry on 'Pac's legacy.

I was doing a cd scan at the time where I bought promo CDs from a shop nearby for £2 each and then would put them in HMV bags to refund for cash or vouchers (depending on who's at the tills). I had a couple of CDs and traded it straight in for this album and some vouchers (thankfully this album was cheap only £13. Which was the standard price of new releases)....

Jesus, why do I feel like grandpa Simpson?

How much is premium membership on oldfarts.com?

HighEyeCue

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 09:36:01 AM »
(NOT TROLLING)

to be honest, simply just dont give a f.ck. neva was a Pac fan, dont really like his music either. And in 1996 there was Xzibit and ras kass debut, Westside Connection, Snoop Dogg, Mc Eiht, Mc Ren just from the west i liked. Cant remember, but not sure i even checked in a year...

lmao

?

more of a Dogg Pound fan myself but you cant deny that Pac owned 1996

doggfather

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016, 10:04:46 AM »
Yes, but with his dead, not his music.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Blood$

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2016, 10:13:22 AM »
Yes, but with his dead, not his music.

lmao

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2016, 01:53:45 PM »
doggfarter is a retard

BIGWORM

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 07:50:57 PM »
Man I headed to Sam Da Record Man downtown Toronto to pick up the Snoop Dogg-Dogg Father on CD for $19.99. I had no clue that Makaveli was coming out because I didn't have the internet back then. When I seen it I was like WTF am I going to do I only had like 25 bux on me and there was two albums I wanted. So I said fuck it and bought them both on cassette for $9.99. I still have them on casette with my others in my garage lol...

When I first listed to the Makaveli album I was very disappointed, because I liked the pop sounding AEOM album. After about 5 listens or so I understood what it was and I loved it. It's my second favorite Pac album only behind MATW...