Author Topic: FATLIP - TORPOR (Official Discussion)  (Read 7441 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: FATLIP - TORPOR (Official Discussion)
« Reply #195 on: August 31, 2022, 07:04:09 PM »
admittedly I don't listen to a ton of new music but the album is dope for sure 8)

the Pharcyde joint with Butch who has always been criminally underrated is my favorite as well

I got the album off bandcamp digitally, I switched to digital years ago, the last physical CD I purchased were the WideAwake joints in probably 2011, The Chronic Re-Lit and The Lost Sessions...nothing beats the anticipation of opening up a new CD though and going through it, not to mention the sound is much better than mp3s

Homie you didn’t cop the physical cd of Compton??   That was the last physical cd I got (before Torpor).  For special occasions I still get the physical cd’s.  Like this being dubcc fam I copped the physical cd.  Before that I got both Lost Sessions and Chronic Relit as you did. 

I got LBC Crew Haven’t You Heard on cd 💿 that’s one of my all time favorite releases.  I still bump that all the time.  My son really loved that album too. Some fond memories of driving around listening to that album with my son when he was 7 going to the Kansas City Royals game.  He told my x-wife’s mom the next day he wanted to be Snoop Dogg when he grew up and smoke weed everyday (I couldn’t have been more proud)

Then, Dre’s Compton album was such a huge moment in rap and Dre’s production value must be heard in CD quality.  It’s one of those albums that you never forget your first time listening to it.  It’s like an event.  I still remember my first time putting it in for a spin summer 2015 that was a great day.  King Mez sets it off kind of building suspense and I hadn’t heard Dre on record in years so you were wondering how he’d sound at that advanced age and Mez’s voice sort of melted into Dre’s it almost sounded like a young King Mez when Dre first came in. 

Dre comes in “I just bought California !!”

Though I didn’t just buy California I had just gotten confirmed for my first legit job ever in my life at age 32 (before that I’d always been wiping assholes in nursing homes for like 12 an hour) so getting a legit teaching job overseas I actually thought I was Dre in the moment. 

…so still something special about those physical albums
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: Sccit, HighEyeCue

Sccit

« Reply #196 on: August 31, 2022, 09:23:37 PM »
Homie you didn’t cop the physical cd of Compton??   That was the last physical cd I got (before Torpor).  For special occasions I still get the physical cd’s.  Like this being dubcc fam I copped the physical cd.  Before that I got both Lost Sessions and Chronic Relit as you did. 

I got LBC Crew Haven’t You Heard on cd 💿 that’s one of my all time favorite releases.  I still bump that all the time.  My son really loved that album too. Some fond memories of driving around listening to that album with my son when he was 7 going to the Kansas City Royals game.  He told my x-wife’s mom the next day he wanted to be Snoop Dogg when he grew up and smoke weed everyday (I couldn’t have been more proud)

Then, Dre’s Compton album was such a huge moment in rap and Dre’s production value must be heard in CD quality.  It’s one of those albums that you never forget your first time listening to it.  It’s like an event.  I still remember my first time putting it in for a spin summer 2015 that was a great day.  King Mez sets it off kind of building suspense and I hadn’t heard Dre on record in years so you were wondering how he’d sound at that advanced age and Mez’s voice sort of melted into Dre’s it almost sounded like a young King Mez when Dre first came in. 

Dre comes in “I just bought California !!”

Though I didn’t just buy California I had just gotten confirmed for my first legit job ever in my life at age 32 (before that I’d always been wiping assholes in nursing homes for like 12 an hour) so getting a legit teaching job overseas I actually thought I was Dre in the moment. 

…so still something special about those physical albums

there’s nothing like buying a physical copy of an album and cracking it open for the first time

some will never know the feeling

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #197 on: August 31, 2022, 09:36:40 PM »
there’s nothing like buying a physical copy of an album and cracking it open for the first time

some will never know the feeling

Yeah, when that NAPSTER/MP3 controversy first blew up in 2000 I was sincerely worried the industry was going to die and that it would ruin rap music as we'd known it in the 90's.  I remember when MMLP came out I would get mad at people who downloaded the album and they would be like, "Why do you care how much Eminem makes money he's already rich."

I read a great article back then in Rolling Stone the journalist wrote what your saying Sccit, that the industry would never die because buying music in stores is still an event, and the experience of opening up the cd, looking through the liner notes, putting it in the stereo in high quality for the first time.

But... I do think MP3's did fucc up hip-hop.  Because it's more about singles now, when before it was about building anticipation and spending years to make sure the project was right before it was released.  You'd get little snippets to wet your appetite, and then you'd be the first one in your hood that knew about it and spread to others, only the DJ's and the Hip-Hop headz knew which artists were gonna be the next big ones to break like Bone, or Outkast, or Eminem--I had all those guys music way before everyone else around my way did.

Now, everyone gets it all instantly, some college nerd at Duke on the computer has all the albums for free, instantly.  There's no buildup to a big release.

Sccit

« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2022, 10:25:46 PM »
Yeah, when that NAPSTER/MP3 controversy first blew up in 2000 I was sincerely worried the industry was going to die and that it would ruin rap music as we'd known it in the 90's.  I remember when MMLP came out I would get mad at people who downloaded the album and they would be like, "Why do you care how much Eminem makes money he's already rich."

I read a great article back then in Rolling Stone the journalist wrote what your saying Sccit, that the industry would never die because buying music in stores is still an event, and the experience of opening up the cd, looking through the liner notes, putting it in the stereo in high quality for the first time.

But... I do think MP3's did fucc up hip-hop.  Because it's more about singles now, when before it was about building anticipation and spending years to make sure the project was right before it was released.  You'd get little snippets to wet your appetite, and then you'd be the first one in your hood that knew about it and spread to others, only the DJ's and the Hip-Hop headz knew which artists were gonna be the next big ones to break like Bone, or Outkast, or Eminem--I had all those guys music way before everyone else around my way did.

Now, everyone gets it all instantly, some college nerd at Duke on the computer has all the albums for free, instantly.  There's no buildup to a big release.

real talk

and that rolling stone writer was wrong, because buying a cd is no longer an event to the general consensus.. now it’s seen more as a novelty and spotify has put a HUGE dent in the game as far as artists making a living off of music. unfortunate.. just like everything else, technology eventually damages real life.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #199 on: September 01, 2022, 01:50:08 AM »

real talk

and that rolling stone writer was wrong, because buying a cd is no longer an event to the general consensus.. now it’s seen more as a novelty and spotify has put a HUGE dent in the game as far as artists making a living off of music. unfortunate.. just like everything else, technology eventually damages real life.

Well, at first it seemed like the journalist was right.  Because Napster and MP3 hit big in 2000.  But if you remember in 2002-2003 the industry was still somewhat healthy.  You had record stores everywhere and you had artists like 50 Cent selling record numbers and then lesser known artists like Xzibit still had gold sales even on one of his lesser albums Man Against Machine.  But yeah.. the industry really started to tank after 2007.  All the stores started closing down as well, there was really only Best Buy selling cd's.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #200 on: September 01, 2022, 04:19:30 AM »
I still have my laptop thats 10 years old with a CD/DVD drive so I do listen to alot of the old stuff on CD still...just for the convenience I switched to digital mostly (I have an Ipod which is older than my laptop) but you guys are right nothing will ever beat the physical copy 8)

Sccit

« Reply #201 on: September 01, 2022, 07:16:06 AM »
Well, at first it seemed like the journalist was right.  Because Napster and MP3 hit big in 2000.  But if you remember in 2002-2003 the industry was still somewhat healthy.  You had record stores everywhere and you had artists like 50 Cent selling record numbers and then lesser known artists like Xzibit still had gold sales even on one of his lesser albums Man Against Machine.  But yeah.. the industry really started to tank after 2007.  All the stores started closing down as well, there was really only Best Buy selling cd's.

yup .. and now even best buy doesn’t sell cds any more.

new cars don’t even come with cd players

the nail in the coffin wasn’t napster.. it’s what napster led to. ipods, which eventually led to smart phones that have access to all music in the world at all times on one app. thievery.

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #202 on: September 01, 2022, 09:21:14 AM »
Spotify can still go bankrupt

Al Bundy

« Reply #203 on: September 01, 2022, 01:30:29 PM »
You can have the best of both worlds. I buy physical CD's and rip them into my music server so that I can play them anywhere on practically all of my networkable devices.

Also, you don't have to use Spotify to stream music. Tidal and Qobuz have the same music but in real CD quality or HIGHER.

Sccit

« Reply #204 on: September 01, 2022, 01:32:49 PM »
You can have the best of both worlds. I buy physical CD's and rip them into my music server so that I can play them anywhere on practically all of my networkable devices.

Also, you don't have to use Spotify to stream music. Tidal and Qobuz have the same music but in real CD quality or HIGHER.

that access to the best of both worlds worlds killed the more important world, because most people simply don’t buy music due to the availability on multiple pay per month (and sometimes even free) services

so the fact that u buy cds is dope .. but 99% of people nowadays don’t think that way

btw are u active on instagram? i tried to add you recently

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #205 on: September 01, 2022, 02:26:38 PM »
Who’s on Twitter

Sccit

« Reply #206 on: September 01, 2022, 02:28:49 PM »

Al Bundy

« Reply #207 on: September 01, 2022, 04:36:14 PM »

that access to the best of both worlds worlds killed the more important world, because most people simply don’t buy music due to the availability on multiple pay per month (and sometimes even free) services

so the fact that u buy cds is dope .. but 99% of people nowadays don’t think that way

btw are u active on instagram? i tried to add you recently

I don't go on there much anymore but i'll check it out next time.

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

O.G A.Geesta'z

« Reply #208 on: September 02, 2022, 07:26:17 AM »
Finally got around to bumpin the album all the way through yesterday.
I must say im fuckin impressed, i didnt expect it to be that good
Fatlip goes hard, every track was good. I'm lowkey going to be looking out for the next project yall drop.
I gave some Sccit some constructive critism about it nothing crazy tho.
Overall 3.5/5.. solid album
The West is Back

doggfather

« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2022, 12:19:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ