Author Topic: Daz RRGB album was a killer... last great Death Row album 💿  (Read 873 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Every few years I have to make an appreciation thread for this album so fools recognize—because I’m still pissed this album didn’t make more noise at the time of its release—the shit didn’t even go platinum!! How does an album this solid with a perfect lead single to launch “In California” on the monster label of the mid-90’s—fail to even go gold?

I will tell you how... rap fans had been poisoned by 3rd rate talent proliferating the game—No Limit, Ja Rule, and all that bullshit had taken up PAC’s lane and filled the vacuum and it’s a damn shame Daz didn’t get the props he deserved cause it was really a heroic effort for him to come wit this post Dre, post Pac, post Suge, post-Snoop—all the A-team had left him but Soopafly, Tray-Dee, Bad-Azz, LBC Crew still had his back and he had enough in the canon—I used to bump the shit out of this album I had just got my DL and must’ve kept it in rotation for an entire year until Eminem came around and changed the game.

Last album of the greatest era in rap the death row era...props is due
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Proc pka KP

Re: Daz RRGB album was a killer... last great Death Row album 💿
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 12:11:27 AM »
Raw was better

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 03:48:45 AM »
Raw was better

Raw had some bangers, no doubt... but it's sloppy... I mean look at the artwork on the album, and the way it was put together... look at the sequencing... there's filler tracks also

Okka

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 07:20:08 AM »
I consider it a classic. I like "R.A.W." better though. You really do make this thread once in a few years. I thought this was an old thread that somebody upped.

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 07:49:17 AM »
yea raw is prolly his best solo tbh

but this ones right there

The following users thanked this post: Okka

HighEyeCue

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 08:39:25 AM »
a lot of Death Row material on "R.A.W." as well, I go back and forth  between these 2 albums as far as being Daz's best

doggfather

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 10:04:27 AM »
Every few years I have to make an appreciation thread for this album

no. just no.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 10:05:56 AM »
This album was trash. Sounded totally different to what I was expecting (classic G-Funk).

I dunno about his best solo, but I liked Dazamataz. And looking forward to NY, LA or whatever it's gonna be called with Capone.
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

kuruptDPG

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 03:48:55 PM »
i always have baby mama drama on repeat till this day. anyone know how much this album sold at the time? i think it was 250k?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 10:25:09 PM »
i always have baby mama drama on repeat till this day. anyone know how much this album sold at the time? i think it was 250k?

Yes, 250K and shipped 300K.

"Baby Mama Drama" I liked but thought it was one of the weakest songs on the album.  Surprised that's the one you got on repeat.

...And I'm willing to guess the cats on this thread saying it ain't Daz best solo got the album way late, and weren't in record stores the Tuesday it dropped Spring 98' to buy the album.  A lot of the members of this forum weren't really up on shit until Dre's 2001 album came out then they came around.  But who was honestly in that record store on that Tuesday?  If you were there at the time and bought the album day 1 and still say RAW or one of his other albums is a better album then I would be very surprised.

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 10:27:07 PM »
I consider it a classic. I like "R.A.W." better though. You really do make this thread once in a few years. I thought this was an old thread that somebody upped.

It's really like an annual thing round this time of year I dust it off.. because it dropped in March 98'.   Now I've been out of the country and riding taxi's for the last 7 years, but thanks to Bill Gates trying to turn this into prison planet I'm stuck back in America again--but on the good side I get to ride around in my 90's Camri bumping Daz again

Proc pka KP

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 10:39:24 PM »
Got it the day it dropped. Raw is better, got that one before retail.

Rudki

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 03:25:40 AM »
Classic album in my books, as a DPG head....It was more polished than 'RAW'...which I guess, lived up to its name (and was a great album).

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 03:54:16 AM »
Classic album in my books, as a DPG head....It was more polished than 'RAW'...which I guess, lived up to its name (and was a great album).

HighEyeCue

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 02:24:22 PM »
Yes, 250K and shipped 300K.

"Baby Mama Drama" I liked but thought it was one of the weakest songs on the album.  Surprised that's the one you got on repeat.

...And I'm willing to guess the cats on this thread saying it ain't Daz best solo got the album way late, and weren't in record stores the Tuesday it dropped Spring 98' to buy the album.  A lot of the members of this forum weren't really up on shit until Dre's 2001 album came out then they came around.  But who was honestly in that record store on that Tuesday?  If you were there at the time and bought the album day 1 and still say RAW or one of his other albums is a better album then I would be very surprised.

I remember buying it the day it came out as well. This was before I had the internet in '99. I would buy the Source every month and check for what was coming out, this was around the time that No Limit was dominating the charts. But I was still riding with Death Row and even purchased Chronic 2000 which came out the following year. But RR&GB was the last great Death Row studio album like you stated.