Author Topic: Why was "The Next Episode" o.g. left off Doggystyle?  (Read 669 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Why was "The Next Episode" o.g. left off Doggystyle?
« on: August 26, 2022, 08:08:59 AM »
I'm sure this has been talked about many times but I missed it.  This song is dope and would've been the perfect final track for the album and transition from G Thang... "Chill to the next Episode" from Chronic and then the follow up to round up Snoop's album.

Then Warren ended up using it to finish off his album.  In fact, Warren inherited a few of the unused sounds from Death Row for his G Funk album.  Maybe he was the one who brought the sample to Dre?
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

Re: Why was "The Next Episode" o.g. left off Doggystyle?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 09:10:22 AM »
sample clearance

Okka

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 09:15:33 AM »
sample clearance

"Gz Up, Hoes Down" was taken off 'cause of that. Was this too?

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 09:23:34 AM »

that’s what i was under the impression of

i could be wrong, but i don’t see no other reason

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Tony Trey

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 11:48:09 AM »

that’s what i was under the impression of

i could be wrong, but i don’t see no other reason

Normally, I would agree with that opinion. Sample clearances are often issues for hip hop, but why then was Warren G able to get the same sample cleared like a year and a half later? Did the original musician realize they missed out on some easy residual checks by passing on Snoop and Dre? Very strange.

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 12:10:49 PM »
Normally, I would agree with that opinion. Sample clearances are often issues for hip hop, but why then was Warren G able to get the same sample cleared like a year and a half later? Did the original musician realize they missed out on some easy residual checks by passing on Snoop and Dre? Very strange.

maybe they didn’t clear it in time for release .. sometimes those things take a while

or could be what u said….

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 12:11:13 PM »
sample clearance

Warren G got the sample cleared

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 12:12:12 PM »

I got the album Christmas 93' and mine still had "G'z Up, Hoes Down"... but "Next Episode" never made it to stores

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 12:14:31 PM »

yeah that's why I didn't think it was sample clearance because Warren G got the sample cleared.  Surprised nobody has asked this question in any of the interviews of Dre, Snoop, Warren G in all the years

Okka

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2022, 01:53:36 AM »
I got the album Christmas 93' and mine still had "G'z Up, Hoes Down"... but "Next Episode" never made it to stores

We all know that. I own a original pressing with "Gz Up, Hoes Down" too.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 04:05:49 AM »

I got the cassette version with Gz Up Hoez down the day Doggystyle came out because I did not own a CD player at the time

that Christmas I got a Sony Discman and luckily found a CD at the local mom and pop that had it also

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2022, 04:14:48 AM »
We all know that. I own a original pressing with "Gz Up, Hoes Down" too.

I was just making the point that it wasn't immediately pulled, even people who got the album a few weeks later still had it.  I think maybe "G'z Up Hoes Down" wasn't pulled till nearly a year later?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2022, 04:21:32 AM »
I got the cassette version with Gz Up Hoez down the day Doggystyle came out because I did not own a CD player at the time

that Christmas I got a Sony Discman and luckily found a CD at the local mom and pop that had it also

yeah I had only a one of those Sony cassete players with the headphones, and had some wack shit like Wrex In Effect and that's all I really remember listening to as far as hip-hop on cassette.

My attitude then was that tapes and cd's were the same thing so why get a cd player?  My older brother and I weren't that close and he wasn't even a hip-hop head--but I got to give him props because he's the one that got me the cd player--Doggystyle, the Chronic, and Envogue (lol) Christmas 93 because he knew I worshipped Snoop at that time.

I still remember first time I heard "Who Am I" was in the 6th grade cafeteria, there was a rich girl, who used to buy everything and have everything before everyone else just to try to get people to like her, whatever it was, the newest fashion, or music, or anything, to try to get people to like her.  She actually had that shit first, she had taped the song off the radio.  At the time I thought it was better than "G Thang", "Dre Day" or any shit I'd ever heard before in my life.

Themz were the fuccin dayz!!! 

Far as the album, "The Shiznit" actually hit me before any other joint.  That was the one track that really blew me away.  It was like a comic strip or something.  Snoop was like the real life Heithcliff boasting about adventures in the hood and you believed every word, whether he shot somebody or whatever he said in the song, you believed 100% cause you were a kid.  So the guy sounded like some sort of gangsta superhero.  It's like a kid watching WWE he thinks it's all real.  I thought the cops were out searching for Dre and Snoop looking to arrest them--and then Snoop actually did end up getting arrested for a Murder case (ironically).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 04:28:22 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

HighEyeCue

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2022, 12:11:38 PM »
"Tha Shiznit" is probably my favorite all time Snoop joint...but "Murder Was The Case" might be his best all around song

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2022, 05:21:25 PM »
"Tha Shiznit" is probably my favorite all time Snoop joint...but "Murder Was The Case" might be his best all around song

Agreed (as usual) 100%

To this day I still think the best live performance Snoop ever did was when C Style wheeled him out in that wheelchair to do "Murder Was the Case".  Also it's obviously his best music video because it's his Thriller.  Best all around song as you said. 

The close second would be "Gin And Juice".  And that performance where the Dogg Pound was rolling around on bicycles with the Dogghouse in the background those were the days when Snoop was the clear #1 artist in rap.  He held that title from 93' until 96' Pac took the crown.

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue