Author Topic: Suge paid off J-Flex to make Dre diss track — $25,000  (Read 634 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Suge paid off J-Flex to make Dre diss track — $25,000
« on: October 02, 2022, 06:16:03 AM »
That’s still selling out.  I mean it’s hard to say no when someone puts 25,000 in your face back then.  But still, he’s kind of admitting to selling out his homie Dre who put him on and got him on his biggest and classic famous records.

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

Re: Suge paid off J-Flex to make Dre diss track — $25,000
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 10:07:10 AM »
interesting but i’m not surprised

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 08:36:30 PM »
interesting but i’m not surprised

well for his side he said that Dre wasn't really paying him when he was doing the stuff with Dre.. but Dre was supposed to be the music guy so Suge or somebody else at the label should of been making sure Flex was paid.  Dre really made a colossal mistake when he went 50/50 with Suge if he had just gone 51/49 then everything would have been fine.

Nate Dogg was in that classic MTV documentary on the fall of Death Row and he actually didn't find out it wasn't Dre's label until Dre actually left the label (with virtually nothing).  He was under the impression the whole time that it was Dre's label, and that Suge had a piece of ownership or whatever but it was ultimately Dre's label.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 09:26:34 AM »
J-Flex was a dope writer but without Dre delivering the raps "Who Been There, Who Done That" really didn't hit the same

Dre's voice was as key as Flex's lyrics were to all those hits

The following users thanked this post: Okka

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 10:53:36 PM »
J-Flex was a dope writer but without Dre delivering the raps "Who Been There, Who Done That" really didn't hit the same

Dre's voice was as key as Flex's lyrics were to all those hits

I agree that when it dropped "Been There Done That" sounded like a slight let down compared to the string of epic all time bangers Dre had been on with "Natural Born Killaz", "Heads Ringin'" and "California Love" (All written by Flex). 

But looking back "Been There Done That" was so timely and visionary I think it's one of the all time cuts in rap history.  Dre had to rap more smooth on the track because it's theme is like an O.G. looking back on his life (not like a young buck out to prove something). 

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 10:55:44 PM »
Probably the first time I have to respectfully disagree with you on 90's rap—I agree that when it dropped "Been There Done That" sounded like a slight let down compared to the string of epic all time bangers Dre had been on with "Natural Born Killaz", "Heads Ringin'" and "California Love" (All written by Flex). 

But looking back "Been There Done That" was so timely and visionary I think it's one of the all time cuts in rap history.  Dre had to rap more smooth on the track because it's theme is like an O.G. looking back on his life.

i think you misunderstood his post

he said j-flex’s solo track “who been there who done that” wasnt as good as the stuff he was writing for dre because j-flex had mediocre delivery on the mic

everyone agrees that “been there done that” was classic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 11:07:12 PM »
i think you misunderstood his post

he said j-flex’s solo track “who been there who done that” wasnt as good as the stuff he was writing for dre because j-flex had mediocre delivery on the mic

everyone agrees that “been there done that” was classic

Yeah you're right, he was talking about Flex's joint (not the classic that Flex wrote for Dre).  So in that case the streak of always agreeing on 90's rap continues...

Flex's joint "Who's Been There Done That" from the Death Row Greatest Hits album was garbage and part of what ruined Death Row.  Suge and Dre's original agreement was Dre was supposed to have quality control and Suge was supposed to stay out of the way of the music making process.  But he started bringing around subpar mc's like Hammer and OFTB.  Then it was his big idea to have Flex record a low class diss track which dragged down the integrity and status of the label. 

Okka

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 03:55:47 AM »
The diss is a classic though. The truth always hurts. It's a shame they haven't worked together after it though. If I remember right, Dr. Dre wanted to connect with J. Flexx again, but for some reason they didn't link up? Flexx spoke on it in one of his interviews he did earlier this year or maybe last year.

dnjp4life

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 06:45:40 AM »
I’ve always liked J. Flexx’s Dre diss pretty much since I first heard it, and got round to listening to Dre’s track that it takes after a whole lot later. I find myself running a lot of the lines through my head whenever I listen to it, and it’s such a happy and positive sounding diss record compared to all the others out there.

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 11:08:30 AM »
Sam Sneed, Drauma & Sharief
Producers Bud'da, Sean "Barney" Thomas, Mel-Man,..Anyone know anything about Flossy P Of Soul Kitchen Productions? Advertised in Aftermath Album Booklet

Tony Trey

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 03:31:18 PM »
Yeah you're right, he was talking about Flex's joint (not the classic that Flex wrote for Dre).  So in that case the streak of always agreeing on 90's rap continues...

Flex's joint "Who's Been There Done That" from the Death Row Greatest Hits album was garbage and part of what ruined Death Row.  Suge and Dre's original agreement was Dre was supposed to have quality control and Suge was supposed to stay out of the way of the music making process.  But he started bringing around subpar mc's like Hammer and OFTB.  Then it was his big idea to have Flex record a low class diss track which dragged down the integrity and status of the label.

You're really overestimating how impactful Who Been There was on the decline of DR. It was on a compilation that no one bought thwas released after both Dre and Snoop left and after Pac died. I'm not even certain Daz, Kurupt, and Soopafly we're even still on the label when it finally hit store shelves.

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 10:51:49 PM »
I’ve always liked J. Flexx’s Dre diss pretty much since I first heard it, and got round to listening to Dre’s track that it takes after a whole lot later. I find myself running a lot of the lines through my head whenever I listen to it, and it’s such a happy and positive sounding diss record compared to all the others out there.

that’s kinda crazy that u heard dre’s later considering it was a commercial hit

dnjp4life

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 08:03:44 AM »

that’s kinda crazy that u heard dre’s later considering it was a commercial hit

I properly started listening to rap in the very late 90s/early 2000s and Death Row Greatest Hits was one of the first albums I bought. That Dre track from the Aftermath compilation I’m pretty sure got no play on the radio over here in the UK and I only really heard it comparatively recently.

Sccit

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 08:08:14 AM »
I properly started listening to rap in the very late 90s/early 2000s and Death Row Greatest Hits was one of the first albums I bought. That Dre track from the Aftermath compilation I’m pretty sure got no play on the radio over here in the UK and I only really heard it comparatively recently.

makes sense

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2022, 12:21:12 PM »
25k for one track is a lot of money even now

I liked the diss track I thought the beat was dope and j Flexx flowed nicely