Author Topic: 26th Anniversary Of At The Speed Of Life (Xzibit)  (Read 352 times)

Jay_J

26th Anniversary Of At The Speed Of Life (Xzibit)
« on: October 15, 2022, 01:33:21 PM »

I want to celebrate 26th anniversary of this classic album. This is one of those underground albums which becomes succesful by it's own powerful impact. That was not mainstream, there was no big marketing behind it, it was totally underground and didnt give a fuck about what industry of popular culture wants that day. Its an album that the artist does what he wants to does without giving a fuck about about sales.

today i'm sad that Xzibit said that he's going to release a final solo album and will be retired. Damn he is too young to be retired.

i always put xzibit to a different place in west coast rappers. Because xzibit is the only one comes from underground and became famous when he was still underground. Before restless, before he featured on Bitch Please, he was already a succesful rapper and he did it with singles like "paparazzi" and "what you see is what you get"... that's rare!!!

Let me share my favorite joint on the album, i remember i had cassette of ATSOL. I keep rewinding it back in my walkman to listen "Carry The Weight" over and over again. Thayod Ausar is one of the most underrated producers in hiphop i think. I know he didnt produce too much but he has some hits that unforgettable. Wish they can collaborate on the final Kingmaker album.

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

doggfather

Re: 26th Anniversary Of At The Speed Of Life (Xzibit)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 09:56:53 PM »
 8) 8) 8)

classic from start to end!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

HighEyeCue

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 06:25:53 AM »
8) 8) 8)

classic from start to end!

his first 3 are classic to me or at least personal classics 8)

astra4322

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 10:34:15 AM »
Wasn’t my type of west coast sound at release date.

soopa-man

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 11:30:20 AM »
I heard Paparazzi and never really followed up, song had a small buzz… but damn high school with 40 Dayz… I can’t even think of X not being my top 5 that album his features everywhere, his lyrics and delivery his patience and buzz felt like the peoples champ… he worked with all my faves erick sermon, dj quik, Soopafly (also had similar buzz if he played his cards right)

But X rocking with the Dre camp was damn near a timeless time him and Em have a great chemistry wish they made more music together. He was one of the first if not the first to rock over a Em bear outside of D12.  X was a beast with it I rocked his album on my Sony headphones and put a lot of people on. His energy delivery lyrics at that time, uncompromising over any track … salute x

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 04:12:32 PM »
his first 3 are classic to me or at least personal classics 8)

first 3 definitely classix

man vs machine and napalm are great albums as well

weapons of mass destruction & full circle are dope

not a weak album in the catalogue

never really got into his work with the serial killers, but from what i heard those were also solid

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue, Sir Dogg

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 09:12:25 PM »
Great thread and this album truly deserves to be celebrated. 

A coming of age album that has a lot of sentimental value to me.  I'll admit I thought Xzibit's style was a bit rough, and didn't buy in until "Bitch Please" and the report that Dre would Executive Produce his 3rd album.  When I found that out I went out and bought his first two album and spent the next several months in my rotation until Restless finally dropped at the end of 2000.  I remember rapping the whole first verse of "X" to Xzibit's hype man at the Anger Management concert and the song was so new that he didn't even recognize the lyrics he said, "Is that your stuff", I said--"No it's Xzibit's lead single".  He said, "Oh, wait here, I'll bring Xzibit around to meet you."  I didn't believe he really would so I didn't wait around but probably should of.  We did get back stage later though and met Proof backstage.  He saw us wearing D-12 caps and shirts (nearly a year before the release of their album) so he dapped us up and showed us love. 

The album was a coming of age album in my only life too because my first time really bumping it was June 2,000 and I was 18 and had just moved out on my own, and there was a newness to life and the opening track and album is all about a man striking out on his own. 

My only complaint about the album is that there are 3 standout tracks "At the Speed of Life", "Papparazi", and then "Foundation" that are all time classic tracks 3 of the greatest rap cuts ever recorded--and there are other good songs but they get drowned out by those 3 standout cuts that are so high above the rest. 

And then Xzibit got fuccin served with Outlawz response on Makeveli which though I love Xzibit and he's in my top 5 that "Bomb 1st" track went hard as fucc and that was the hardest Outlawz line they ever came with...

"Got a message for that nicca that made Papparazi
If you ain't in this rap game
for the muthafuckin cash mane
Then what is your real purpose
Non (conservance??)
Edi Amin born worthless
That's until the day I decided to BOMB 1st BITCH"

^^^it's not just the lyrics just the whole fuckin track and feel of it--like the beat cuts off and so when that line comes it hits hard
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 09:18:14 PM by TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96' »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Jay_J

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 11:59:33 PM »

My only complaint about the album is that there are 3 standout tracks "At the Speed of Life", "Papparazi", and then "Foundation" that are all time classic tracks 3 of the greatest rap cuts ever recorded--and there are other good songs but they get drowned out by those 3 standout cuts that are so high above the rest. 

Carry the weight is still my favorite joint on the album. When i first listened to album first time, i fell in love with that song and it was even bigger than other 3 songs you mentioned. Eyes may shine is a fucking banger also to me. Positively Negative another dope joint on the album. You need to check this motherfucker from start to end again my friend.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 03:59:29 AM »
first 3 definitely classix

man vs machine and napalm are great albums as well

weapons of mass destruction & full circle are dope

not a weak album in the catalogue

never really got into his work with the serial killers, but from what i heard those were also solid

yeah I agree...even after Restless he dropped consistently dope material

one of the GOAT West Coast MCs as well

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

Tony Trey

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 07:09:09 AM »
And then Xzibit got fuccin served with Outlawz response on Makeveli which though I love Xzibit and he's in my top 5 that "Bomb 1st" track went hard as fucc and that was the hardest Outlawz line they ever came with...

"Got a message for that nicca that made Papparazi
If you ain't in this rap game
for the muthafuckin cash mane
Then what is your real purpose
Non (conservance??)
Edi Amin born worthless
That's until the day I decided to BOMB 1st BITCH"

^^^it's not just the lyrics just the whole fuckin track and feel of it--like the beat cuts off and so when that line comes it hits hard

Bullshit. The Outlawz dissing Xzibit, who was far more respected and popular than they've ever been without 2Pac, on a track that 2Pac intended to be dissing East Coast rappers showed their absolute idiocy.

Rubinho

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 02:08:04 PM »
Have to bump his again soon. I think that Outlawz line is sick, but I don't see it as real hatefull diss or something

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2022, 01:17:26 AM »
Carry the weight is still my favorite joint on the album. When i first listened to album first time, i fell in love with that song and it was even bigger than other 3 songs you mentioned. Eyes may shine is a fucking banger also to me. Positively Negative another dope joint on the album. You need to check this motherfucker from start to end again my friend.

Come on man.. "Eyes May Shine" and the other couple songs you mentioned might be good songs but not "Papparazi" level

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2022, 01:20:17 AM »
yeah I agree...even after Restless he dropped consistently dope material

one of the GOAT West Coast MCs as well

Yeah he's Top 5 in my book... 2pac, Eminem, Nas, Snoop, then Xzibit.

And his first 3 albums were all Classic, then Man vs. Machine had some great songs but wasn't a great album.  A couple of the tracks in fact were unlistenable. 

Then he had that heroic comeback album later in life when he dropped Napalm. 

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2022, 01:48:17 AM »
Bullshit. The Outlawz dissing Xzibit, who was far more respected and popular than they've ever been without 2Pac, on a track that 2Pac intended to be dissing East Coast rappers showed their absolute idiocy.

It went hard though... cause it was like Xzibit was trying to be all sanctimonious on "Papparazi" and then ended up getting served on Makaveli. 

I'm as big of an Xzibit fan as anyone, but still call a spade a spade--he got served on the most historic album in rap history.  He didn't get it as bad as other rappers though--they didn't even say his name.  A lot of industry cats got it way worse--so they showed respect for him being from the coast and having skills.

I think even Xzibit would admit that when he heard that shit he was like, "damn they got me". 

You say it's "idiotic" okay.  He even calls himself "worthless".  Meaning he wasn't shit until he got wit Pac and decided to bomb first !!!!!!!!!  BOOM !!!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 02:02:41 AM by TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96' »

Okka

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2022, 04:16:32 AM »
One of my favorite albums of all time.