Author Topic: The D.E.E.P. - Parlayin' Album Appreciation Thread (1995, G-Funk)  (Read 117 times)

dnjp4life

Got this album recently and heard it for the first time through, I suppose you could call it a lesser-known G-funk gem that some may be familiar with but a lot of people will have never heard before other than maybe the first track 'Coast Love' which I downloaded from here many years ago but completely forgot about until recently.

There's nothing particularly memorable or unique about any of the four (?) rappers in the group but the album itself has a nice groove to it from beginning to end and there's also some R & B in there as well which works well with the G-funk beats.  Listen to the first 3 tracks and you'll probably be sucked in and find yourself listening to the whole thing.

Some interesting things about the album:

- The rapper Paris produced the whole thing so presumably they were connected to him before the album got made.

- A couple of beats I understand were later used by Spice-1 on one of his albums (The intro to the album, and the track 'Playa Man').

- The beat to the track 'Mobbin' Wit Da D.E.E.P.' sounds like Paris attempted to recreate the beat to 'Afro Puffs' as closely as he could - it's very similar.

- There's a feature from Mixmaster Spade in the middle of the album which I was not expecting to hear.

- I don't know about the budget these guys had, but they managed to get the album mastered by Brian 'Big Bass' Gardner so all the beats have a nice clean thump to them.

The Predator

Re: The D.E.E.P. - Parlayin' Album Appreciation Thread (1995, G-Funk)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 10:55:54 AM »
All Paris produced, Brian G cleanin, Afro-Puff's beat clone ...this something i need to check out.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 11:01:49 AM by The Predator »