Author Topic: DJ MUGGS - SOUL ASSASINS III DEATH VALLEY COMP (Official Discussion)  (Read 1885 times)

The Predator

Best mic' work is by Scarface, Meth and especially Slick Rick and CeeLo Green.
Instrumentals by Muggs are slightly pimped out or a touch trippy, better then expected.

DJ Muggs Releases ‘Soul Assassins 3: Death Valley’ LP Feat. Ghostface, Westside Gunn, Freddie Gibbs, Boldy James, Ice Cube And More

August 26, 2023

DJ Muggs is an undisputed legend. Over the course of his distinguished and diverse career, he has conquered music in not only multiple genres but multiple languages.  As the creator and producer of Cypress Hill, the multiple-time Grammy Award nominee has overseen the production of four platinum and three gold albums, traveled the world many times over, with Cypress Hill as headliner, a major festival regular, and performed in front of millions of fans.  Longtime Cypress Hill documentarian Estevan Oriol masterfully captured Cypress’ musical/cultural influence and legacy with his 2022 Showtime Film Insane In The Brain.

While Cypress Hill is a full-time + undertaking, Muggs also remains extremely active as a solo artist.  Not only has he produced hits for Cypress Hill, but he’s also responsible for indelible classics like House Of Pain’s “Jump Around” and Ice Cube’s “Check Yourself,” was tapped to remix for U2, Janet Jackson and Depeche Mode and produced gems with MF Doom, Westside Gunn, GZA, Action Bronson, Conway The Machine and many, many more.

In the last few years, Muggs has been more active than ever.  Releasing collaborative projects with Mach-Hommy, Roc Marciano, Yelawolf, Rome Streetz, Jay Worthy, and most recently Champagne For Breakfast with Meyhem Lauren and Madlib. 

Yet, his Soul Assassins albums have always held a special place in the hearts of fans.  Muggs Presents: The Soul Assassins Chapter 1 (1997) was his first solo studio album and featured collaborations with Dr. Dre, B-Real, RZA, GZA, Mobb Deep, Goodie Mob, KRS-One, MC Eiht & Wyclef Jean.  He returned to form with Soul Assassins II (2000), featuring collaborations with Xzibit, Cypress Hill, GZA, Goodie Mob, Kool G Rap, Dilated Peoples, Kurupt, Ras Kass and Everlast.  The third installment in the Soul Assassins series, Intermission, was released in 2009 and proved to be aptly-titled; until now. 

DJ Muggs has released the first new Soul Assassins album in 14 years with Soul Assassins 3, Death Valley, which is now available.

DJ Muggs Soul Assassins 3: Death Valley features guest appearances from Freddie Gibbs, Ghostface Killah, Westside Gunn, Ice Cube, Method Man, Boldy James, MC Ren, CeeLo Green, B-Real, Scarface, Roc Marciano, Devin The Dude, Evidence, Meyhem Lauren, Jay Worthy, Rome Streetz and Slick Rick among others. 

“You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be attained” states DJ Muggs.

Soul Assassins 3: Death Valley TRACKLISTING:

The Time Has Come

It’s On FEAT Boldy James

Check In FEAT Jay Worthy & Spanto

Sicilian Gold FEAT Ghostface Killah & Westside Gunn

67 Keys FEAT Roc Marciano, Meyhem Lauren & Rome Streetz

Mister Cartoon Interlude

Jokers Wild FEAT CeeLo Green

Shell Casings FEAT T.F.

Street Made FEAT Freddie Gibbs & Scarface

Where We At FEAT Boldy James

We Ain’t Playin’ FEAT Devin The Dude, Jay Worthy, T.F. & 2 Eleven

Burn The Playbook FEAT Evidence & Domo Genesis

Majik

Crazy Horse FEAT Roc Marciano & Crimeapple

Metropolis FEAT Method Man & Slick Rick

We Coming For The Safe FEAT Boldy James

Skeleton Bones FEAT Rome Streetz

Dump On Em’ FEAT Ice Cube, B-Real & MC Ren

DJ Muggs Outro FEAT Estevan Oriol & Spanto

***All Songs Produced by DJ Muggs

« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 09:51:55 AM by Jay_J »

The Predator

Re: Soul Assassins III Death Valley Comp - DJ Muggs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 02:59:46 AM »
Also -

Rap luminaries on the defining moments from 50 years of hip-hop

DJ Muggs of Cypress Hill on the arrival of the E-mu Sp-1200

Once Marley Marl started sampling, it really flipped the whole rap game on its head and created this new artform. Even if I only had $20 to my name, I would go to the 99 cent van and buy 20 records to sample, based on how cool the artwork looked. That’s the beautiful thing about sampling: the sense of discovery. It made us appreciate hip-hop’s roots in blues, jazz, soul, and funk.

Everyone was sampling James Brown, so the challenge was digging deep in the crates so you could find something new. Back then you weren’t allowed to sound like anyone else. If Cypress Hill sounded the same as NWA we would have been booed off the stage! You couldn’t dress like anyone else or use their slang either.

It was the arrival of the SP-1200 in 1987 that changed things. You might have a jazz song that’s 14 minutes long and there’s a one-second chord change that sounds really special. With the SP-1200 you could extend and loop that one moment until it becomes this whole other musical world. Me, Alchemist and Madlib might all hear the same song, but be inspired by different sections and each use different samples. That’s the beauty of the sample. When you found the perfect sample and flipped it into something new, it was like discovering a piece of gold! For rap producers it remains the best feeling in the world.

astra4322

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 03:11:20 AM »
Album is really good 8)

The following users thanked this post: Okka

doggfather

https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 01:24:11 PM »
Album of the year candidate

The Predator

Re: DJ MUGGS - SOUL ASSASINS III DEATH VALLEY COMP (OFFICIAL DISCUSSION)
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 08:33:22 AM »

I found this beat on a cassette tape from 1998, digitized it, and put it up on Instagram. CeeLo heard it and asked me to send it to him” DJ Muggs affirms. “CeeLo comes from the point of view of a cholo with “Jokers Wild,” paying respect to the streets, and Chicano culture; that he honors and respects.” - Muggs

DJ Muggs also collaborated with auteur Jason Goldwatch for a Soul Assassins 3: Death Valley cinematic movie, which was filmed on location in Death Valley and will be released on September 8, 23.

-------

MIXED BY DJ MUGGS & RICHARD "SEGAL" HUREDIA

MASTERED BY BRIAN "BIG BASS" GARDNER

The Predator

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 09:22:08 AM »

DJ Muggs on Soul Assassins 3, The Alchemist, Cypress Hill & Origin of Eminem/Everlast Beef

doggfather

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 11:43:31 AM »

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Jay_J

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 12:18:24 PM »
is there any one song that is interesting?

astra4322

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 08:47:06 PM »
Most of them.

Jay_J

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2023, 02:15:27 PM »
Most of them.

name me your favorite please, i'ma listen to it.

astra4322

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2023, 01:25:08 AM »
I think track with Scarface and aonther one with Cube.

doggfather

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2023, 03:47:25 AM »

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

doggfather

Re: DJ MUGGS - SOUL ASSASINS III DEATH VALLEY COMP (Official Discussion)
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2023, 01:05:42 PM »

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

doggfather

Re: DJ MUGGS - SOUL ASSASINS III DEATH VALLEY COMP (Official Discussion)
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2023, 12:02:57 AM »
checkn right now!

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ