Author Topic: Chromeo feat. Nate Dogg  (Read 202 times)

k1000

Chromeo feat. Nate Dogg
« on: September 02, 2023, 09:04:33 AM »
Don't be excited ; you won't hear this song although the song exists in Nate Dogg's vault.

This is no fresh news as the Canadian duo talked about it on facebook back in 2019:

photo: (click_photo)

article:
"2004! The label asked who would be our dream feature on a song. We answered: Nate Dogg. We somehow got in touch with his manager who said “it ain’t a hit until Nate spit.” He told us to send a track...we had one ready to go, written with Nate in mind. Shortly after, we had a show in LA and they invited us over to hear what Nate did. We were in disbelief. We drove to his house — didn’t know LA well at the time but I think it must’ve been in deep Calabasas. Nate was straight faced, cool as a fan. Played the song. I remember he had 4 stacks of vocals. Played it again. We took pics. Then the manager was like “ok you heard it, we’ll talk”. Later he called me and said “we usually charge 100k but I’ll give it to you for 70”. And that was the end of that. We kept the instrumental and it became My Girl Is Calling Me (A Liar) off the Fancy Footwork album. But those vocals are probably still on a hard drive somewhere. Rest In Peace Nate Dogg, our favorite crooner of all time. ❤️🤘🏼 Funk forever."

However this is news to me as I listened to an interview Chromeo did this week for French Radio:

here: https://www.radiofrance.fr/mouv/podcasts/studio-41/chromeo-dans-studio-41-9450940

or there:
https://rf.proxycast.org/6b18d1de-a161-43f7-a0fc-fcb6715ead3d/23667-28.08.2023-ITEMA_23468721-2023J49318S0240-21.mp3

Nate Dogg's part is at 15'10 where Chromeo says Nate (and DJ Premier also) was the first to understand Chromeo's style whereas funk was considered cheesy in North America ("uncles' and aunts' music").

Although they didn't say in the interview that the instrumental of the song was later used on their 2nd LP in 2007, they explained the song was made in 2004 before the release of their 1st LP.
Also Nate's manager said it's $100,000. Chromeo answered the whole budget for their 1st LP is $10,000. Nate's manager offered $70,000 (They say $80,000 in the radio interview). End of the story. The song sleeps in Nate's hard-drive.

live version

Malcy

Re: Chromeo feat. Nate Dogg
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 11:21:41 AM »
So they wasted Nate's time by going "that sounds good but fuck paying any money for it"?