Author Topic: Daz 2nd Podcast he says that he gets all his music back after 35 years?? wtf?  (Read 422 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Man I wish Reggie Wright would get one of those entertainment lawyers on bomb1st show to explain how all the Death Row Records sales and money was allocated..

...the latest thing is Daz is saying he gets all his stuff back in just a few years because after 35 years artists get their music back? wtf?? I never heard that
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
It’s true. Quick google search found this:

There's a little known section in the US Copyright Act of 1976 enabling any copyright owner to get their rights back after 35 years. Meaning, if you wrote or released a song with a label or a publishing company after January 1st 1978, you can terminate your agreement and get all your rights back.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
It’s true. Quick google search found this:

There's a little known section in the US Copyright Act of 1976 enabling any copyright owner to get their rights back after 35 years. Meaning, if you wrote or released a song with a label or a publishing company after January 1st 1978, you can terminate your agreement and get all your rights back.

yeah I didn't say it wasn't true I just said the industry is really confusing to me and this is yet another surprising rule.  I've never heard of it actually happening either...

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
yeah I didn't say it wasn't true I just said the industry is really confusing to me and this is yet another surprising rule.  I've never heard of it actually happening either...

Hopefully this clears it up for you so you aren’t confused or surprised by it anymore.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Hopefully this clears it up for you so you aren’t confused or surprised by it anymore.

nope still confused...

just for starters....

1.  How the hell does an artist like Danny Boy get the kind of money and advances he was getting at Death Row without the label going into serious debt?  The guy got like a monthly salary of 10's of thousands of dollars and getting signed and advances and paying for his fucking videos, studio time, and albums that never came out??   And the guy only did three songs that really counted as a return on his investment, he did "I Ain't Mad At Ya", "Toss It Up" and "Picture Me Rollin"

3.  Then it really gets bizzare when the internet came to be.  How is any label making any money on anything now that all music is free?

4.  Then Daz wanna sue for every fuckin song.  But with what money are they gonna pay him?  Death Row albums don't really sell any more, all that shit is free on fucking Itunes, everything he did is now free?  So what's all the talk anyway.

5.  Daz sold 300,000 with RRGB, so did he make any bread on that?  What about Dysfunctional Family soundtrack.  Did they lose money on that?

6.  Then look at all the hidden charges Death Row was paying for security, hotels, lawyers, phone bills, cars, transportation to and from events, monthly salaries, all these fucking videos that never came out on anything, all these songs and studio time that never came out, signing all these fucking artists like OFTB and Hammer that never did anything...

7.  Then you got Dre owning 50% of the label so what does that even mean?  Does he like go take out of the Death Row account whenever he feels like it and Suge takes out of it when he feels like it, or he just gets paid for the stuff he did like as if he is an artist or producer well then how does Suge get paid and does Dre get the same? 

8.  Then you got this radio play thing where supposedly artists get paid when their song is played on radio which makes no sense.  A DJ could just go on some random shit station and play his friends song on repeat for a day or two and now his friend is rich??  or 100 years from now somebody plays a Daz song so E1 has to send Daz a check and the guy that played the flute a check?

All very confusing

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
nope still confused...

just for starters....

1.  How the hell does an artist like Danny Boy get the kind of money and advances he was getting at Death Row without the label going into serious debt?  The guy got like a monthly salary of 10's of thousands of dollars and getting signed and advances and paying for his fucking videos, studio time, and albums that never came out??   And the guy only did three songs that really counted as a return on his investment, he did "I Ain't Mad At Ya", "Toss It Up" and "Picture Me Rollin"

3.  Then it really gets bizzare when the internet came to be.  How is any label making any money on anything now that all music is free?

4.  Then Daz wanna sue for every fuckin song.  But with what money are they gonna pay him?  Death Row albums don't really sell any more, all that shit is free on fucking Itunes, everything he did is now free?  So what's all the talk anyway.

5.  Daz sold 300,000 with RRGB, so did he make any bread on that?  What about Dysfunctional Family soundtrack.  Did they lose money on that?

6.  Then look at all the hidden charges Death Row was paying for security, hotels, lawyers, phone bills, cars, transportation to and from events, monthly salaries, all these fucking videos that never came out on anything, all these songs and studio time that never came out, signing all these fucking artists like OFTB and Hammer that never did anything...

7.  Then you got Dre owning 50% of the label so what does that even mean?  Does he like go take out of the Death Row account whenever he feels like it and Suge takes out of it when he feels like it, or he just gets paid for the stuff he did like as if he is an artist or producer well then how does Suge get paid and does Dre get the same? 

8.  Then you got this radio play thing where supposedly artists get paid when their song is played on radio which makes no sense.  A DJ could just go on some random shit station and play his friends song on repeat for a day or two and now his friend is rich??  or 100 years from now somebody plays a Daz song so E1 has to send Daz a check and the guy that played the flute a check?

All very confusing

First off, study up on some business classes and that’d clear up nearly half of the issues you are confused about. The rest of them, simple answer, now you know why Death Row went out of business. A lot of bleeding money and poor decisions being made.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
First off, study up on some business classes and that’d clear up nearly half of the issues you are confused about. The rest of them, simple answer, now you know why Death Row went out of business. A lot of bleeding money and poor decisions being made.

I don't think it's that simple, mate.  You are just trying to make it sound simple.  I didn't even mention that Suge was spending crazy money.  The way him and Pac were spending in 96 was outrageous spending.  And then after Pac died and Suge went to jail--even up until 1998 that Greatest Hits album Pac came out with was on Death Row that shit had to have generated millions for the label.  They also had 3 other posthumous Pac albums all selling platinum and on Death Row.

Remember when Suge came out of jail he still had big money riding around in limos and acting like it was 1996 all over again--spending all this money working on and promoting a Crooked I album that never came.  Which was also strange from a business standpoint.

So.... point is the shit you are talking about, didn't really happen until maybe 2006 or so... Hell, Suge even still seems to have money to this day.  So... I'm not saying you are wrong I'm just saying you are trying to make it all sound more simple than it is.

Sccit

music isn’t free on itunes

labels get paid per stream

to listen to music on itunes, you need to either pay for the service or pay for the album

no, it doesn’t generate as much money as it used to.. but for a label like death row that generates tons of streams per day, that still translates to $$$$

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I don't think it's that simple, mate.  You are just trying to make it sound simple.  I didn't even mention that Suge was spending crazy money.  The way him and Pac were spending in 96 was outrageous spending.  And then after Pac died and Suge went to jail--even up until 1998 that Greatest Hits album Pac came out with was on Death Row that shit had to have generated millions for the label.  They also had 3 other posthumous Pac albums all selling platinum and on Death Row.

Remember when Suge came out of jail he still had big money riding around in limos and acting like it was 1996 all over again--spending all this money working on and promoting a Crooked I album that never came.  Which was also strange from a business standpoint.

So.... point is the shit you are talking about, didn't really happen until maybe 2006 or so... Hell, Suge even still seems to have money to this day.  So... I'm not saying you are wrong I'm just saying you are trying to make it all sound more simple than it is.

Suge (Death Row) was spending more money than he (Death Row) was making. That’s the gist of it. All the flashy things you saw in videos, bought on credit or rented. So everyone who praises Suge and all that, he was a horrible businessman.  He was thug trying to run a business that ended up getting bigger than what he could handle. 

He had a few good years (94-96) where Death Row was making great money and could do no wrong.  But when times started to get tough and concessions and cuts had to be made and restructuring of the business to stay afloat, he didn't have the knowledge to accomplish it.  Just kept throwing more and more money at the company expecting that to be enough to pull the nose up.  Amateur businessmen make that mistake all the time. 

You ever hear the comparison: It's easy to look like a great investor when the stock market is doing great.  It's the people that continue to make money with the market is down that are the true geniuses.  Same thing with this, the really great businesses are the ones that continue to make money or weather the storm when times are tough.  Suge couldn't do that.