Author Topic: Clean versions of Death Row Records tracks  (Read 693 times)

dnjp4life

Clean versions of Death Row Records tracks
« on: January 26, 2024, 08:18:37 AM »
How many of these are there that were officially released?  They're always worth listening to because they have different lyrics and small alterations to the beats compared to the album versions.

The ones I can think of from memory:

Dr. Dre - Dre Day and G Thang, Keep Their Heads Ringin'
Snoop - Gin n Juice and Doggy Dogg World
2Pac - I Ain't Mad At Cha, How Do U Want It, 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted, To Live & Die in LA
OFTB - Check Ya Hood (not sure if officially released but the clean version is out there)

What are the other ones?

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
Re: Clean versions of Death Row Records tracks
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 02:15:06 PM »
Roland - Freak Something from the clean version of the Gang Related Soundtrack.  Totally different lyrics. 

HighEyeCue

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 03:48:18 AM »
How many of these are there that were officially released?  They're always worth listening to because they have different lyrics and small alterations to the beats compared to the album versions.

The ones I can think of from memory:

Dr. Dre - Dre Day and G Thang, Keep Their Heads Ringin'
Snoop - Gin n Juice and Doggy Dogg World
2Pac - I Ain't Mad At Cha, How Do U Want It, 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted, To Live & Die in LA
OFTB - Check Ya Hood (not sure if officially released but the clean version is out there)

What are the other ones?

Let Me Ride, Whats My Name, Murder Was The Case, New York New York

almost every single had a clean version...around late '96 they started to just edit the swear words on alot of the tracks

Young Old Head

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 05:27:51 AM »
Recently been on my 90's nostalgia tip and noticed that too. Loved that they actually made the effort to make clean versions not only listenable, but also interesting with new verses.

Spice 1 had some really dope clean versions too btw, most of his early singles. One song in particular ("In My Neighborhood") even has a whole new ending 🤯 The Murda Show with MC Eiht is another one with new parts.

Cash Money Blood Gang

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 06:42:42 AM »
what was the last song ever to have a clean version? area codes??

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 11:01:58 AM »
Its Chris The Glove Taylor who sounds like Nate Dogg and partial sample of the original song - that make up the hook.

Young Old Head

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 03:26:43 PM »
what was the last song ever to have a clean version? area codes??

That's a good question. I didn't even know Area Codes had a whole clean version 😅

Cash Money Blood Gang

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2024, 03:46:05 PM »
maybe snoop sensual seduction

Young Old Head

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2024, 04:25:27 PM »
Yeah, around that time. Snoop & Akon's "I Wanna Love/Fuck U" too

Cash Money Blood Gang

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2024, 06:10:34 PM »
Another part of that chorus (What'cha gonna do when you grow up?) is Death Row Records artist Hugg.

dnjp4life

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2024, 05:17:07 AM »
Roland - Freak Something from the clean version of the Gang Related Soundtrack.  Totally different lyrics. 

I never knew that, I'll have to check it out.

Another one I thought of is OFTB's 'That Was Then, This Is Now' of which both versions have leaked.  I actually prefer the clean version because their vocals are more intense and there's more energy to it, plus it's available in better quality which helps.

killagee

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 02:50:52 AM »
Tha Realest, Swoop G & Lil C-Style - Easy To Be A Soldier When There Ain't No War (Radio Edit Clean Version) [Different lyrics]

BIGWORM

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 07:22:32 PM »

Spice 1 had some really dope clean versions too btw, most of his early singles. One song in particular ("In My Neighborhood") even has a whole new ending 🤯 The Murda Show with MC Eiht is another one with new parts.

The album Spice-1~The Thug In Me is a actual official compilation release with all radio edits.

Eazy-E~Eazy-Duz-It album has a radio edit version with all lyrics re arranged instead of sound effects or silent gaps. Its fun to sing along and try to predict how he will flip the lyrics

The following users thanked this post: djfilthyrich

Suga Foot

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 05:20:49 PM »
Is "Let's Play House" by the Dogg Pound the clean version?  Same with Regulate where the original dirty version leaked years later.  Regulate was on the Above the Rim soundtrack so maybe that counts as a death row release

HighEyeCue

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 06:02:19 PM »
Is "Let's Play House" by the Dogg Pound the clean version?  Same with Regulate where the original dirty version leaked years later.  Regulate was on the Above the Rim soundtrack so maybe that counts as a death row release

yes, the dirty version was later released on Doggy Bag in 2012