Author Topic: Albums That Grew On You?  (Read 199 times)

kingpin_4eva

• 'G'
  • LADIES #1 LOVER
Albums That Grew On You?
« on: May 26, 2003, 11:23:11 PM »
When I first bought Dj Quik's Balance and Option album I was a bit disappointed, because I loved Rhythm-al-ism so much. After a few more spins in my cd player I liked the cd. I still play it occasionally, but Rhythm-al-ism and Safe and Sound are still my favourite Quik cd's. Balance is a solid album with good songs on there my favourites has to be "Pitch In On A Party","Well", and "Change Da Game."
Another album that grew on me was Snoop's "Tha Doggfather". Good with songs like Snoop's "Upside ya Head", "Gold Rush", "Downtown Assasins", and "Doggyland" and trust me there are more hot songs on there.
Please tell me what album(s) grew on you after a while.
Nah, maybe it's the bitches and the sunshine
Fool, it's the palm trees, cool breeze and one-time
This the home of ragtops and swimsuits
We wear Chuck Taylors, nigga, we don't fuck with Timb boots!

The Big Bad Ass

Re:Albums That Grew On You?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 11:55:00 PM »
I agree with both those you named. I was let down by both, but looking back at them now, they both hotter than most anything that drops today. Another cd that grew on me was Warren G's return of the regulator. I wasn't feelin it the first couple spins, but it grew on me soon after that. Still listen to it today.

pappy

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 12:01:31 AM »
nas-  illmatic...... wasnt feeling it at first an now its my favorite album of all time up there with the chronic.  jay-z - the blueprint an blueprint 2.  

The Big Bad Ass

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 12:08:27 AM »
^^ Yeah, it took me a while to like Illmatic also. Everyone hyped it up so much that when I finally heard it in like 96, I was like wtf? This is supposed to be the best album ever? But after givin it lots of play, it's definitly in my top 10.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 04:48:20 AM »
yea ilmatic, casue the first time your like, this aint bad but, the 2nd or 3rd you just hear the amazing lyrics and beats

Jome

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 07:01:38 PM »
Jayo Felony - Crip-Hop.. at first I would say 2.5 mics, but today I would say 3.5 mics.

Tech N9ne - Anghellic.. at first I thought "wtf is this".. but when you get into Tecca-mode, you'll get it..

Scarface - Last of a dying breed.. at first I thought "too simple", but there's several layers to it..

Any album with Premo-beats.. guaranteed to grow on you..

Mobb Deep - Almost every album.. Havoc knows his stuff, and so does Alchemist.
The Mobb-tracks you don't like today.. you'll like tomorrow, you just need to be in the right mood.

Royce 5'9 - Rock City.. at first I was happy with the purchase, a solid album..
Dope lyrics and dope beats will make it grow on you though.. and turn it into near classic.

Snoop Dogg - NL Top Dogg.. Snoop + The South ?? Oh hell naww..
But when you dig into it, it's pretty enjoyable.. + the Dre-classics.

Styles - A gangsta and a gentleman.. Seems solid, but boring at first..
then you'll discover how REALLY solid it is. A very dope album, but with too many skits..

platinumk777

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 09:39:10 PM »
Snoop Dogg - NL Top Dogg
Tha Relativez - Takeover

DaSchizophrenic1

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 09:46:13 PM »
Illmatic---- for some reason I didn't see what was so special about this album when it first dropped; to me it seemed like it was lacking production, but after listening to it a while (couple years) I realized that those beats were perfectly laced with his lyrics and flow

Hittman2001

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 10:21:29 PM »
For some reason 2001 had to grow on me.  i didnt like it at first because i was not expecting this new sound.  i had no idea about the hype, because i was living overseas and music was not that important to me.  I only bought it because it was Dr. Dre's second album.  I really liked Still D.R.E and it took a while for me to get used to the rest of the album.

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2003, 10:43:32 PM »
Illmatic for sure.  Snoop - Topp Dogg; that definitely grew on me.  Also ICP - The Wraith....I didn't like it very much at all and now I bump it at least a couple times a week.

kingpin_4eva

• 'G'
  • LADIES #1 LOVER
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 10:49:48 PM »
I agree with all y'all opinions on which albums grew on you, but all i have is one question, is that a good or bad thing? When I buy an album I don't expect an album to grow on me, i want st8 heat from start to finish. Most people don't give albums a second chance, because when they in a music store or on the net they sample the first 15 seconds of the song if it ain't what they expect they automatically skip the track. In other words to let an album grow on you, you will have to like the artist to give the album a second chance. That's why for me it is important for an artist to drop a dope debut album so when they might not have a successful sophmore album their fans will still support their work. I hope y'all understand what i'm trying to prove.
Nah, maybe it's the bitches and the sunshine
Fool, it's the palm trees, cool breeze and one-time
This the home of ragtops and swimsuits
We wear Chuck Taylors, nigga, we don't fuck with Timb boots!

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2003, 12:06:42 AM »
Tha Doggfather- SNoop Dogg (at first i was like huh but then the songs with Tray Deee then i listened 2 the whole thing and its a tite cd)

Black Mafia Life- Above The Law (its a diff style then everything else its RAW funk)

theres 2 that i can think of

HHH

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "hello!!"
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2003, 02:14:22 AM »
wu tang - the w  ;D

Dr._Funkenstein

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2003, 07:34:38 AM »
I had to get into KAM's "KAMnesia". Never liked the album that much (can't stand those type of bounce beats) but now I actually listen to it quite often.

Skindiana bon3z

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2003, 10:57:03 AM »