Author Topic: 2001: A space Odyssey {One weird movie}  (Read 143 times)

Immortal

2001: A space Odyssey {One weird movie}
« on: June 09, 2003, 07:59:16 PM »
This was produced in 1968. I checked the reviews at amazon.com and they were appealing, so I downloaded it. After watching the film, I'd have to say that this is one weird movie. It's hard to ackowledge the meaning of the whole film. It has some really interesting space technology scenes that I feel alot of films like Star Wars, etc have adopted their ideas from. The movie is rated a sci-fi classic, although i completely find it very peculiar at the same time. If anyone else has seen this film, then please respond.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2003, 07:59:33 PM by Immortal Tech aka Apocalypse »
"Tha Immortality of my Fame is the measure of others torture..."--GZA

mrtonguetwista

Re:2001: A space Odyssey {One weird movie}
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 08:08:49 PM »
That's the one w/ the computer named HAL..right?

Immortal

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 09:41:04 PM »
That's the one w/ the computer named HAL..right?

yes the Hal 9000 i believe
"Tha Immortality of my Fame is the measure of others torture..."--GZA

mrtonguetwista

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 09:47:05 PM »
Yeah....I read somewhere 'HAL' were the letters right before the letters 'IBM', but couldn't use that in movie due to copyrights.  In the beginning where the apes are beating on rocks with bones beginning the evolution of man. With that instrumental playing that you still hear today in some bass/techno songs.

The Watcher

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 12:34:10 AM »
you think this movie is weird, you should download/rent/buy Donnie Darko. that is one FUCKED UP movie for real, but entertaining at the same time  :D
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

js83

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 01:14:01 AM »
i had to watch that space odyssey shit for my computer class last year...shit was wack as fuck...almost fell asleep watching that bullshit.

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 07:11:45 AM »
This is an excellent film...mind you i havent watched it in nearly 10 years!

I love him as a director...(apart from eyes wide shut)...full metal jacket...2001...etc....brilliant   ;)

Its a weird but insightful perspective on man and life.

pZ

elneckio

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 09:38:12 AM »
I've tried to watch it 3 times, and fallen asleep every time !  Always wake up when the spaceships are dancing with one another, then switch it off  ;D

Used to have the same problem with Bladerunner until I borrowed the DVD and watched it early afternoon, strange how certain films just make me snooze.
"just do what he says.. i find to my expense he's always right." ... Overseer 24/04/02

Liger187

• Lil Geezy
  • Best Fighter In The World
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2003, 01:32:44 PM »
If you go in thinking it's gonna be like star wars or some scifi movie you will be very disapointed. This movie is like part scifi part documentary and part art. You should watch the movie like it was a piece of art. For example the earlier parts of the space station where the blue waltz is playing and you have the station spining its like art. The director of this movies is Stanely Kubrik and is probably the best director of all time, but this is a hard movie to get into. Go watch one of his other movies like A Clockwork Orange. It is one of the best movies ever and is much easier to get into.

HHH

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "hello!!"
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2003, 01:48:17 AM »
I love him as a director...(apart from eyes wide shut)...full metal jacket...2001...etc....brilliant   ;)

Its a weird but insightful perspective on man and life.

pZ

we got that space odyssey on dvd.............but i luv full metal jacket....excellent film !!  ;D