Author Topic: What connection do I need do connect a turntable to my laptop for production?  (Read 187 times)

On The Edge of Insanity

I'm gonna buy a turntable, so that I can have scratching and shit in my beats, and so I can get some of the drum loops and shit that I have on old vinyl onto my laptop. What connection do I need to look for on the Turntables, and what cables and shit do I need to connect it to my laptop to allow me to do the stuff I wanna do with it?

Jim Jones

• Banned
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Get Cool edit pro.....I hope this is helpful. http://support.syntrillium.com/cep/tutorials.html
« Last Edit: June 17, 2003, 02:45:52 PM by Realizm »

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
and get a sound blaster Exitgy sound card

www.soundblaster.com

On The Edge of Insanity

Yeah I know that, I got Cool Edit Pro and a decent soundcard, but what port does the turntable connect to? do all turntables have this connection? what is the cable called? shit like that.

On The Edge of Insanity

Come on, somebody must have the info that i'm looking for, or is this board really that dead?

Suga Foot

ask the dood at the store.  They should be able to help you.

On The Edge of Insanity

ask the dood at the store.  They should be able to help you.

Yeah I'm going to, but I know they gonna try and make me buy something real expensive that I don't really need, so I wanted to get some info on it beforehand so that I don't get ripped off.

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
i'd have to say run it into your auxilary line with RCA cable runing from the out put on the turn tables' mixer to the auxilary line in on the soundcard 8)

SCY

• Lil Geezy
  • The Playa To The Haters
ya auxily leads should just plug strsaight into back like my decks did
walking thru life making ya preparations. big shout out to bentley boys, Phatt Matt, dj stompa, topgroove and not forgetting Giro City Crew

SCY

• Lil Geezy
  • The Playa To The Haters
try looking at technnics they got special turn tables for pcs and technics are best decks on market for scratching, try looking for technic mk11s i head them and they came with optional leads. i think u mite need and amp but not sure i will holla at ma friend he knows
walking thru life making ya preparations. big shout out to bentley boys, Phatt Matt, dj stompa, topgroove and not forgetting Giro City Crew

On The Edge of Insanity

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna go buy one tomoz so that was real helpful.

KonSICKwence

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • STRAIGHT PIMP... what else is there to say?
ite since I have been doin this since day one with turntables  you can do 1 of 2 options on a soundblaster live you could get an RCA to mono 1/4" then get a pc adaptor (1/8") and send that in your mic line drawback is soundblaster is a commercial soundcard not really for proffessional recording even tho it mite try to trick you and say it does it will get you o.k. sound it wont produce better sound than what you had and the other drawback is its mono ! not stereo! you will have a little different osund and your pans on your mixer wont work...  so thus I suggest you cop the M-Audio mobile pre USB interface its made for proffessional recording and a snap to install ( no computer disassembly just plug the usb line in and your speaker sinto it and load the driver c.d.) it has a headphone line so wehn you get studio monitors ( so you can mix accurately) you cna hear your vocals well anyways it has stero in puts and the recording is much better and it also hasstero microphone in XLR jacks with phantom power ( for good condenser mics) you wont go worng with this joint.... to hook it up here simply plug your turntables into your dj mixer ( this is madnatory to amp your turntables) just match the rca's and what line you want it to play on then you will have 2-3 sets of outputs do whichever ones you like best and send rca to 2 connectors ( to make the wire longer if you need to) to another rca to 1/4" width on the other end that plugs into the mobile pre the people at radio schak will tell you this doesn't exist simply because they are non educated but it does I have the wire you cna get them at guitar center or something.

hit me up I have an ebay auction cuz I am selling my odl turntables  ( i got technics and a new rane mixer) and my old mixer and slipmats nad speakers and needles all in good condition peep the link   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2541911546&category=14987&rd=1
TEXT KonSICKwence's Ineffable Productionz... http://www.soundclick.com/pro/?BandID=24092 ..thanx..pz  .[/glow]