Author Topic: Source Owners Announce Plans For 2003 Awards Show  (Read 174 times)

Duckman

Source Owners Announce Plans For 2003 Awards Show
« on: August 27, 2003, 07:59:03 PM »
Source co-owners Dave Mays and Ray "Benzino" Scott announced their plans for the 2003 Source Awards at a press conference today in New York.

"We get side swiped at these other awards shows and disrespected and used and exploited," founder and co-owner Dave Mays told AllHipHop.com. "This is a show where there is really honor and respect of the true culture, the creativity, all the artists in hip- hop and for the fans to show them this is what we stand for, so its great. "

The awards show, which take place in Miami, Florida, will take place in October and will air on November 11 on BET, a departure from their old television partner, UPN.

At this years awards 30 of the pioneers of the genre will be honored. Mays said an official announcement would be announced in the next two weeks.

A variety of artists appeared showing solidarity with Mays and Scott's plans. Lil Kim, Freaky Zeeky, Jimmy Jones, Swizz Beats, Rah Digga, Jermaine Dupri, Keith Murray, Lil Jon & The Eastside Boyz, Ying Yang Twins, Kool G. Rap and Kool Herc were all in attendance at the press conference.

The awards show was broadcast on UPN from 1999 until 2001.

While there were no altercations during the 2001 Source Awards, Benzino was involved with a police officer and eventually pleaded no contest to driving with a suspended license and reckless driving.

At the 2000 awards in Pasadena, California, DJ Quik was assaulted on the red carpet. Shortly into the awards ceremony, various fights broke out in the crowd and an estimated 75 men stormed the stage.

"We gotta do this award show in peace this year." said co-owner Ray "Benzino" Scott.

Here is a listing of nominees:

Artist of The Year Female:
Eve
Missy
Lil Kim
Ms. Jade
Trina

Breakthrough Artist of The Year:
Bone Crusher
50 Cent
Clipse
David Banner
Diplomats

Single Of The Year/Male:
In Da Club - 50 Cent
Hot In Herre - Nelly
Rock The Party - Benzino
Thug Mansion - 2Pac
Good Times - Styles

Lyricist Of The Year:
Jay-Z
Nas
Talib
Scarface
Twista

Producer Of The Year:
The Neptunes
Just Blaze
Jazze Pha
Kanye West
Timbaland

Artist of The Year Male Solo:
Jay-Z
Nelly
Baby aka Birdman
LL Cool J
Ja Rule

eS El Duque

Re:Source Owners Announce Plans For 2003 Awards Show
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 09:12:14 PM »
solo artist of the year and single of the year are bullshit

Rock The Party - Benzino
 >:(

The Watcher

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 09:30:18 PM »
that whole list is bullshit

the award show is bullshit infact
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

The Big Bad Ass

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 10:07:20 PM »
solo artist of the year and single of the year are bullshit

Rock The Party - Benzino
 >:(
lol, good old Benzino.

PLANT

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 11:11:19 AM »
WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT THAT LIST IS.......

I WONDER WHO THE 30 PIONEERS ARE GOING TO BE?  IT WOULDNT SUPRISE ME IF MADE MEN WERE 5 OF THE 30.....THAT LIST IS ASS :P

Jome

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 07:44:25 PM »
Lmao @ Benzino.. if he wins they're probably gonna boo..

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 09:50:40 PM »
i hope benzino wins too, that would be so funny, cause he would get booed and it woul be worst for him, what a fuck

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 11:59:42 PM »
Fuck these awards.  First off, this story is jacked up in the first place, it apparently forgot about 2002, and all of the shit it says happened in 2000 happened in 2001.  Also, there they go again spouting off all that bullshit about how they get pushed to the side or whatever, and on mtv tonight half the fucking show was about hiphop or rap, even though it was all commercial.  The source is a fucking joke, I hope both of those bastards go bankrupt, and I hope no self-respecting artist helps promote their fucked up little magazine anymore... I don't see any in that list, so it's all good.