Author Topic: ICP pulled from the shelves after suicide of fan  (Read 275 times)

KURUPTION-81

ICP pulled from the shelves after suicide of fan
« on: November 08, 2003, 08:48:34 AM »
(AP) A music store pulled the music and other items produced by the shock rap and metal group Insane Clown Posse following the suicide of a Casper teenager. The parents of the teenager don't blame Insane Clown Posse, but say the group's music did not help either.

Jessica Bartlett at the FYE music store in Cheyenne said four customers complained after Insane Clown Posse items were pulled from the store temporarily. Merchandise included wallets, CDs, T-shirts and stickers.

One fan of the group, Chris Ramsay, 23, of Cheyenne, is a self-described Juggalo, a name Insane Clown Posse member Violent J has given to male fans.

''Who are they to tell me what I can and can't listen to?'' he asked. ''I'm 23. I can choose what I listen to.''

Insane Clown Posse's songs have violent lyrics peppered with expletives. They offer graphic images of murder and violence against others and lash out against society.

Ramsay said the music is vulgar and is not for everyone, but he said he and others listen to the music without violent consequences.

Howard and Mari Fochtman, of Casper, are the parents of the teen who committed suicide last month.

They have expressed concern about what they regard as the group's deeply negative message. They worry that the lyrics encourage listeners to believe no one cares about them except other Insane Clown Posse followers.

Fochtman said Insane Clown Posse did not kill his son.

''I won't stand for somebody saying I said that,'' he said. ''But it did not do him any good.''

Fochtman said he believes the rap duo's music and lyrics was a catalyst and other parents should be aware of the group.

Ms. Fochtman said that while Insane Clown Posse comes across in photographs as clownish and non-threatening, its lyrics are foul and refer to murder and suicide and violence.

Both parents said it's amazing that a 17-year-old can't watch R-rated movies but a 10- or 11-year-old can buy merchandise like that sold by Insane Clown Posse

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
Re:ICP pulled from the shelves after suicide of fan
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 04:10:37 PM »
Wow, I haven't visited the board in a month or so and I come in here and see a topic about ICP! :o

;D ;D ;D

Props Kuruption!

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 09:39:46 PM »
This is a strange topic, we've been into it before.  

The group shouldn't have had their stuff pulled from the store, although I'm sure they'd understand since it was a touchy situation.

I don't think ICP's music led to the girl or whatever killing herself.  However, I agree with the father that it 'didn't help'.  Music DOES have an effect on your mind, this is psychological fact, anybody who doesn't think that is an idiot.  You hear a love song, you get dreamy, you hear a pop song you get happy, you hear a rock song you get excited, you hear a song about a guy killing people and about how nobody cares... well... that has an effect on you too.

Above all, though, you have to have responsibility for your own actions.  The world is filled with negative things, it's up to you to responsibly react to them.  That includes negative music.  So nobody can hang these guys for what they say, it was the kids responsibility to deal with what he was experiencing in his life, including the negative music he might have heard.  

The Watcher

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 10:59:09 PM »
^ word
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Don Breezio

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 11:19:07 PM »
yeah i definetely agree...music isnt the cause of death...but i will say that it definetely doesnt help sometimes...there are some songs out there that can really get you down...icp is extremely violent too...one reason i dont like them...

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2003, 03:43:53 AM »
yeah i definetely agree...music isnt the cause of death...but i will say that it definetely doesnt help sometimes...there are some songs out there that can really get you down...icp is extremely violent too...one reason i dont like them...

^^ there are so many more violent groups / lyrics out there...not just in the genre of rap / hiphop ...
...this is an age old discussion...yes people can be influenced to a certain degree by music but i believe this all hinges on the mental stability of the individual listening...
...jus cos i heard gravediggaz suicide lots when i was younger didnt mean i did it..or even contemplated it because of the music...but then again if i was very impressionable sort of person / on certain drugs maybe i woulda taken their advise...

...ya get me ?

Some people are ...and will always be more balanced than others...thats harsh reality of life...to ban a release just in case is ridiculous...lead to cult status of the banned record..and probably the record will be used specifically for that purpose by a small minority because that is how they came to know it "banned".

pZ

The Watcher

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003, 04:09:44 AM »
when you were listening to gravediggaz, you probably weren't already in a mind state where you were wanting to kill someone or bury them alive etc.. that's what this is about. the kid was already depressed and/or unstable and listening to ICP probably didn't help it @ all

army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

D.R.E.-Dogg

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2003, 10:41:33 AM »
music doesn't have to help keeping people from commiting suicide.. he probably chosed this music cuz of his depression or shit, if it wasn't for the music he woulda found something else.. there's nothing to blame the artists for at all

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2003, 02:11:20 AM »
when you were listening to gravediggaz, you probably weren't already in a mind state where you were wanting to kill someone or bury them alive etc.. that's what this is about. the kid was already depressed and/or unstable and listening to ICP probably didn't help it @ all

You've just agreed with me there ;)

hehe

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2003, 02:12:02 AM »