Author Topic: Nintendo sticks the fork in one of their competitors  (Read 422 times)

Trauma-san

Nintendo sticks the fork in one of their competitors
« on: November 17, 2003, 02:26:44 PM »
Have yall seen the 'N-gage" or whatever system? The handheld system that runs wireless?  They were attempting to cut into Nintendo's 98% rule over the handheld market with the Gameboy Advance, which has some of the strongest game sales on any platform.  Anyways, I sell video games, and I'm close with the people down at the local game store, the N gage started out at 300 bucks, and sold horribly.  They lowered the price to 199, still didn't sell.  Now, they've started 199.00 for the system, and you get your choice of 3 free games, LOL.  STILL NOT SELLING.  The first time I saw it I knew it would never work.  Long live Nintendo!!!!

Jome

Re:Nintendo sticks the fork in one of their competitors
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 03:27:56 PM »
It's made by NOKIA, and they predicted from the get-go that it would have no future in the States, that's why they're not putting a lot of money in it over there.

The graphics is awesome when compared to other handheld systems, but it looks rather clumsy.

smerlus

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 03:31:15 PM »
the design wasn't that good, when you use it as a phone it looks like you're talking into a game boy anyways

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 04:18:23 PM »
lol, word..
looks kinda like a keyboard when i first saw it

pappy

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 05:06:41 PM »
wtf is n-gage i never even heard of it

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2003, 05:17:28 PM »
its like a phone gameboy keyboard lol

The Watcher

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2003, 05:46:36 PM »
its a mobile phone that plays games. it's taking off really big in australia, i know roughly 20 ppl with them or so, and ever since the copyright on the games were cracked it seems to be taking off really big
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Jome

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2003, 07:44:49 PM »

The graphics is a HELL lot better than Game Boy Advance, and NOKIA is among the biggest phone comps. in the world, but they're going at the biggest handheld console producers in the world, so of course it's tough...

SONY is laying detailed plans on how to steal market shares from NINTENDO at the very moment, Game Boy is pretty superior..

gildedganon187

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I Am No One But The Thing Which You Fear!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2003, 08:13:51 PM »
Long live Nintendo!!!!

LONG LIVE NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn straight and will live forever and ever they will never sell out!.

end gigaganon
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 08:14:46 PM by gildedganon187 »

There Is Nothing I Can't Do, That I Can Try To Get Done.....

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2003, 10:29:29 PM »
Nokia's problem is this:  General lack of creativity.

At first glance, you might think "WOW THATS NEAT!!!" but then, when common sense sets in, you think "What the hell would I want to do that for?".  Just because something is technologically possible (playing games over a wireless phone connection) doesn't mean it's a good idea.  It's just a possible idea.  I could invent a microwave with an lcd on the front of it and a dvd player, but it's not a good idea.  It's possible....   but just not really a good idea.  Nokia hasn't grasped this yet.  

The reason Nintendo is so successful is because long ago they sacrificed being bigger,better,faster for quality.  They don't give a shit that the N gage has better graphics than the gameboy, the gameboy has such high quality games for it that it's always gonna be on top of the market.  I predict Nintendo will eventually regain the home system market too, once people get tired of the other consoles trying to outdo each other's hardware, and decide to focus on quality games as opposed to which look the greatest.  

P.S. Sony's system won't do shit to Gameboy.  They won't be able to match their hardware price which is what draws a lot of parents to the gameboy.  

kottonmouthninja

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2003, 11:24:29 PM »
nintendo kicks ass but i dont like the cube!

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2003, 04:50:44 AM »
Its a stupid idea to be honest really. Who wants a mobile thats looks like that? Its massive compared to almost every phone on the market at the moment, hardly pocket material from what i've seen of it.

You could just buy a really good phone + a gameboy advance and save yourself loads of money, whilst still getting two superior products to the combined N-Gage.

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2003, 05:10:03 AM »
nintendo kicks ass but i dont like the cube!

Don Seer

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2003, 05:54:16 AM »
sorry trauma... but the high quality games argument doesnt cut it.. i mean.. its got Tomb Raider AND Tony Hawks.. with the exact same levels as the PS version...

but.. from my point of view i think that the bad point is.. a small screen isnt suited to that kinda game.. but i may be wrong with that.

and yeah these new generations of phones are called "edge" phones internally by Nokia.. because u have to talk into them at the funny as angle that makes it look like you have a mutant ear

caTASHtrophe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2003, 02:00:12 PM »
If anyone can break into the handheld market and do massive damage to Nintendo its Sony. They have got the console market on lock and trust me they will eventualy do the same with handhelds as well.

Sony isn't dumb and will price the PSP at a competitive price and launch it with a shit load of 3rd party software.

Nintendo have made too many mistakes and are paying for it and imo its just gonna get worse for them.

:P