Author Topic: LOL@ a comparison i jus made....  (Read 508 times)

On The Edge of Insanity

Re:LOL@ a comparison i jus made....
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2003, 06:18:38 AM »
Hey C2 Knuckels, maybe u better listen to jays second album again dogg!

You dont recall a certain song called Sunshine with Foxy and Babyface, or I kmow what girls like with Diddy and Lil Kim?  Guess not

But ya, i can finally admit jay is as good as NAs, both have had great careers and both are still dropping dope shit.  However, Jay has always dropped commercial shit, INCLUDING HIS FIRST ALBUM (aint no nigga, hello!) while Nas did an entire album without commercial music (Illmatic)

yeah but thats the only album other than The Lost Tapes that nas ever put out without a commercial single

It was written - If I Ruled The World
I Am... - Hate Me Now, Nas Is Like
Nastradamus - Nastradamus, You Owe Me
Stillmatic - Got Urself A Gun
God's Son - Thugz Mansion Acoustic, Made You Look Remix

How is Nas Is Like commercial? I wouldn't consider Got Urself A Gun commercial either.

Adam Donnelly

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WYTHENSHAWE
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2003, 06:37:32 AM »
Jay Z Most Overrated Rapper EVER

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2003, 06:38:42 AM »

You dont recall a certain song called Sunshine with Foxy and Babyface, or I kmow what girls like with Diddy and Lil Kim?  Guess not

But ya, i can finally admit jay is as good as NAs, both have had great careers and both are still dropping dope shit.  However, Jay has always dropped commercial shit, INCLUDING HIS FIRST ALBUM (aint no nigga, hello!) while Nas did an entire album without commercial music (Illmatic)

yeah but thats the only album other than The Lost Tapes that nas ever put out without a commercial single

How is Nas Is Like commercial? I wouldn't consider Got Urself A Gun commercial either.

True... i feel that jigga although similar in ways is much more commercial than Nas...

...but then again who cares...he is rich ! and thats definatly why he got in the game...so even if he is a "sell-out" ...he is a rich sell-out that seems happy. Just cos he isnt my favourite rapper of all time doesnt mean id hate on him for doing well.

Don Breezio

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2003, 11:57:08 AM »

i dont know about where you were at but that was all over the airwaves here. something doesnt have to have an R&B hook to be commercial...nas knew it would be a hit so he put it out and im glad he did...thats one of my fav. songs.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2003, 12:15:50 PM »
Yeah but Nas Is Like was succesful because it was an amazing song, but because it had been created in order to appeal to the radio. I mean Ante Up by MOP was a massive track, but it wasn't commercial, it was a song about robbing people for god sake. There is a difference between a dope tracks that gets love and a commercial track.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2003, 12:41:51 PM »

I'm not sure if you misread my post or put the wrong name or something...

Jay-Z has had commercial material from his first album ("Ain't No Nigga") to his last ("Change Clothes And Go").

It's is pretty commercial but if you don't think so then "(Always Be My) Sunshine" certainly is.

He's got atleast a couple each album.

I wouldn't call "Nas Is Like" or "Made You Look (Remix)" commercial at all, and "Hate Me Now", "Thugz Mansion (Acoustic)" & "Got Urself..." aren't in my eye but are in a grey area...maybe.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 12:42:13 PM by C2Knuckles »

Diabolical

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2003, 01:17:31 PM »
Jay Z Most Overrated Rapper EVER
True

His Only 2 Singles From Blueprint 2 Were Commercial

Jome

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2003, 09:42:53 PM »

His Only 2 Singles From Blueprint 2 Were Commercial

That's kinda the point about releasing singles.. they're supposed to sell the album.
You don't put out a filler track as single..

Don Breezio

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2003, 09:53:39 PM »
I wouldn't call "Nas Is Like" or "Made You Look (Remix)" commercial at all, and "Hate Me Now", "Thugz Mansion (Acoustic)" & "Got Urself..." aren't in my eye but are in a grey area...maybe.

nas is like, as waitin for the dj said, was made for the radio...thats why it is commercial...as i said earlier it doesnt need an R&B hook to be commercial. made you look wasnt commercial but the remix was...they made a remix strictly for sales...thats why they put out a video for the remix. hate me now was commercial because that was right at the time where puff daddy was getting to be really really big and they also knew the video would stir up some controversy. thugz mansion is in the grey area i would say...and yeah so is got urself a gun...i could put those in the grey area

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2003, 02:43:17 PM »
Yeah but Nas Is Like was succesful because it was an amazing song, not because it had been created in order to appeal to the radio. I mean Ante Up by MOP was a massive track, but it wasn't commercial, it was a song about robbing people for god sake. There is a difference between a dope tracks that gets love and a commercial track.

Thats what I meant to say. Nas Is Like wasn't created for the radio it was created to be a dope track, so I'm still actually disagreeing with you.

And Jome, there is a difference between the best songs on the album, and what is released as singles. I mean, I don't think anyone would say that Izzo was one of the best two or three tracks on The Blueprint, yet that was released as a single.

Don Breezio

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2003, 02:44:44 PM »
And Jome, there is a difference between the best songs on the album, and what is released as singles. I mean, I don't think anyone would say that Izzo was one of the best two or three tracks on The Blueprint, yet that was released as a single.

lol actually i think thats the only song that brought that album down...i didnt know a song (other than ms. jackson) could get that annoying...the rest of the album was classic material

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2003, 03:08:46 PM »
nas is like, as waitin for the dj said, was made for the radio...thats why it is commercial...as i said earlier it doesnt need an R&B hook to be commercial. made you look wasnt commercial but the remix was...they made a remix strictly for sales...thats why they put out a video for the remix. hate me now was commercial because that was right at the time where puff daddy was getting to be really really big and they also knew the video would stir up some controversy. thugz mansion is in the grey area i would say...and yeah so is got urself a gun...i could put those in the grey area

I don't think that songs made for the radio are necessarily commercial and "Nas Is Like" I don't believe was made for the radio.  They just made the song, it turned out great and they decided to make it the first single.  

I think that labeling a song "commercial" doesn't have to do with how the song was made or the intention for the song.  It's the actual song that will give it that label.

Don Breezio

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2003, 03:44:57 PM »

I don't think that songs made for the radio are necessarily commercial and "Nas Is Like" I don't believe was made for the radio.  They just made the song, it turned out great and they decided to make it the first single.  

lol what do you think commercial is? to be commercial soemthing doesnt have to sound like pharell got his hands on another track. if something is made for the radio its made to promote the album = commercial

eS El Duque

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2003, 06:15:49 PM »
Only thing i see wrong with the comparison is JayZ made a LOT MORE MONEY than Nas