Author Topic: Just got back from Gangstarr at Astoria  (Read 208 times)

On The Edge of Insanity

Just got back from Gangstarr at Astoria
« on: November 20, 2003, 04:36:38 PM »
Man, that shit was blazing, well worth the money I paid for it, would have paid double that considering how dope is was.

When me and my mate first got in there was some hiphop three piece performing on stage. Dunno who they were, and their music was pretty wack, so everyone just kinda ignored them.

After that they played about half an hour of like really chilled out reggae music, not really the sort of thing to build you up for Gangstarr, and without any weed pretty pointless really.

Next up was UK female rapper Estelle. Her performance established four things:
1) Her rapping is average at best
2) Her singing is actually better than her rapping
3) Her choice of beats is terrible
4) She's damn fine

The only real crowd reaction she got was when she did her verse from Trixsta, and thats not even own song, which pretty much summed up her performance.

After Estelle we were then subjected to another 45 minutes or so of the reggae music, until finally Gangstarr appeared.

Premo was out first to do his soundcheck, wearing some sort of strange mask. His appearance led to chants of "Premo, Premo" from the crowd, and having done a few scratches and shit, and mixed together a few beats, he removed the mask and out came Guru. From then on, they rocked the house for like 2 and a half hours, playing everything you could ever have wanted them to play from old stuff to new and back again. Big Shug appeared about half an hour into the show, and was basically just the hype man as well as obviously contributing his verses from the two Miltia tracks, and performing one solo track. The crowd throughout the show was great, everyone was real hyped to be seeing Gangstarr live, and Guru's constant interaction with the crowd certainly helped to keep it lively. Guru sounded great live, just like on the records, and his freestyles were also off tha chain. Premo seemed to have almost godly status with the majority of the crowd, and his scratching was top notch throughout the performance. After two encores they departed to mass cheers from the crowd, after Big Shug had sung along to some old school soul track for like three minutes or some shit like that.

Overall an amazing concert, they completly killed it and showed why they are the best group in hiphop today. Only down points were the shitty reggae music (why was there no hiphop dj present), and the fact that Freddie Foxxx didn't appear (man Militia live would have been so dope with them all up there on stage) as I'd been praying he would.

The Watcher

Re:Just got back from Gangstarr at Astoria
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 04:46:57 PM »
ive got a concert coming up im going to, Gangstarr and Blackalicious!
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Pink Floyd

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 05:37:29 PM »

In between the words "up" and "I'm," should be either the word "that" or "which."

The Watcher

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 06:08:18 PM »

In between the words "up" and "I'm," should be either the word "that" or "which."

top work! i guess you're the spelling b champ of your family
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Pink Floyd

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 06:36:44 PM »

top work! i guess you're the spelling b champ of your family

Your error had nothing to do with spelling.

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 03:30:36 AM »
Next up was UK female rapper Estelle. Her performance established four things:
1) Her rapping is average at best
2) Her singing is actually better than her rapping
3) Her choice of beats is terrible
4) She's damn fine

The only real crowd reaction she got was when she did her verse from Trixsta, and thats not even own song, which pretty much summed up her performance.
a little harsh i'd say she is very talented try listenin to more of her studio stuff, i heard her live it wasn't amazing but not many ppl rap like their studio stuff

on a side note funny how hiphop is kinda anti gay but when rappers come to london one of their most common spots is there astoria which is a gay club in soho (full of freaks if you ask me), just strange to me, i think even eminem performed there(if not em definatly d12 did)! But it is very good place to have a hiphop show as your neva very far from the stage so you can get into the performance more than when your with another 80 thousand ppl and the artists look like a dot so you end up watchin it all on a screen which sucks.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003, 05:58:04 AM »
Congratz bro...bet it was a filler!

^^

The Astoria has always been that kind of venue im talking for around 12 years that i remember...

...my fav hiphop venue was the fridge / brixton ...

Adam Donnelly

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WYTHENSHAWE
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2003, 05:40:02 AM »
I went to the Manchester gig last night it was PHAT  8)
We had no Reggae music though