Author Topic: Do you really give a shit?  (Read 546 times)

Don Breezio

Do you really give a shit?
« on: December 10, 2003, 10:02:33 PM »
if an artist doesnt "keep it real"...do you really care if the artist lives what they rap about? half of them dont live that shit...i heard a couple people bitching about ice cube saying "live by the gun die by the gun" on terrorist threats....who gives a shit if cube isnt a gangster...50 cent isnt a pimp and neither is snoop dogg but people still listen to them. i personally dont give a fuck if eminem really had that horrible of a childhood or if he was a child millionare. as long as the music is good thats what should count.

JTSimon

Re:Do you really give a shit?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 10:24:48 PM »
I can care less if someone is gangster or not.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 05:13:30 AM »
It depends, if it is done well, and convinces you that is what they have been through then i don't really care. I mean the fact that Notorious BIG came from a relatively well off family and went to a private school doesn't stop Juicy from being an amazing tale of rags to riches, because he makes you believe that is what is childhood was like. People like 50 Cent etc who pretend to be gangster just isn't convincing cause you know that he's only doing it to seem hard and sell records, and he doesn't convince you that he actually lives like that.

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 05:20:50 AM »

N-Sane Brain

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 06:28:37 AM »
Most rappers don't do what they claim to do in their songs. Remember "A Nigga Witta Gun"? Dre spits:"I'm the one who's doin' it while these other niggas talk about it." Although he didn't do nothing either ::) Or remember "Nothing But Sunshine" by Atmosphere where Slug is rappin' about his mother's dead and his father's suicide? It's all just bullshit, as he confirmed in an interview. But that's how it is, they are often not "the same" while rappin'.

SGV

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 08:06:41 AM »
People like 50 Cent etc who pretend to be gangster just isn't convincing cause you know that he's only doing it to seem hard and sell records, and he doesn't convince you that he actually lives like that.
Suprised Jome didn't come in here and defend 50's gangsta.

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 08:12:55 AM »
it matters to people that take it seriously. if someone takes this rap shit seriously, and they think that life is all about gucci and women and guns, then it matters. but if not, then why should it matter? i tend to have less respect for fakers (ie: snoop, dre, cube), and even lesser respect for stupid and unintelligent fakers (ie: 50 cent). the main problem is that kids are following these fakers cuz they think that that's how they gotta be. and then you got stupid ass kids shootin eachother over some goddam 50 cent lyrics....that's when it's wrong. but as long as you know the difference between right and wrong, real and fake, it's all good

Jome

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 09:24:25 PM »
I don't care if they're gangster or not..
As long as they play the role good, I don't care..

Good examples: 50 Cent, Mobb Deep, M.O.P., Tray Deee, Goldie Loc, Suge Knight, etc.
Gangsta or not, I don't know. But they're pretty damn convincing.
List could of course have been made longer, but that's some pretty profilic examples.

Bad examples: Dr.Dre, Eminem, Fabolous, Dipset, Nas, Kurupt etc.
They have all claimed to be gangstas at one time or another, but everything tells me none of them really are.
This list could probably have been reeeeaaaally long..

I mean.. everybody knows Robert DeNiro plays gangsta good, but who would like to see Jim Carrey or Jerry Seinfeld play one ??

Don Breezio

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2003, 10:17:10 PM »
i tend to have less respect for fakers (ie: snoop, dre, cube), and even lesser respect for stupid and unintelligent fakers (ie: 50 cent). the main problem is that kids are following these fakers cuz they think that that's how they gotta be. and then you got stupid ass kids shootin eachother over some goddam 50 cent lyrics....that's when it's wrong. but as long as you know the difference between right and wrong, real and fake, it's all good

this is what im talkin about though...why lose respect for them? do you lose respect for will smith playing a cop in a movie when he's not really a cop? i have no problems with any of them...whether they do it well or not...we shouldnt give a shit...i dont know why people do.

The Watcher

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2003, 10:26:51 PM »
in all honesty, i listen to music for music. i dont listen to it to know about their personal lives or whatever, so it doesnt bother me @ all
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

M-O-Z-04

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2003, 10:32:36 AM »
i hav a problem wit 50 cent claimin gangsta if he actually made good music he mite be forgiven but i gotta say fuck him
The boss wants U dead then its off with ur head
especially a bitch nigga that talks 2 da feds
especially a bitch nigga that walks with da feds
2 avoid shows coz niggaz about 2 toss him sum lead -Yukmouth

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2003, 03:58:29 PM »
biggie is a great example, because his mom said in many interviews he was not poor, he had a nice home, he went to a good school, but through his rhymes he could convince anyone

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2003, 04:47:03 PM »
lolmon man, u really think a nigga whos done made millions is still gon be hustlin on the streets??? if they rao about being a g and they were bought up livin like that, then dope, but if they bought up once way actin like they did it another way no matter how good or bad they act it, its weak as fuck

peace

budsmokeronly

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2003, 08:35:26 PM »
it depends.  It all depends how blatent it is.  Such as someone who obviously cannot relate to what they are rapping about then I think that is gay as fuck.  If you rap about gangs, guns, drugs, hoez, and murder and you never even stepped foot in a ghetto, never sold drugs, don't carry gunz, never smacked a bitch, then that is gay and I hate it.  but if you grew up in a city with that shit around you, even though you may not have participated in gang activity, then that is cool.

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2003, 06:07:54 AM »
i tend to have less respect for fakers (ie: snoop, dre, cube), and even lesser respect for stupid and unintelligent fakers (ie: 50 cent). the main problem is that kids are following these fakers cuz they think that that's how they gotta be. and then you got stupid ass kids shootin eachother over some goddam 50 cent lyrics....that's when it's wrong. but as long as you know the difference between right and wrong, real and fake, it's all good

this is what im talkin about though...why lose respect for them? do you lose respect for will smith playing a cop in a movie when he's not really a cop? i have no problems with any of them...whether they do it well or not...we shouldnt give a shit...i dont know why people do.

music is music. when it comes down to it, you gotta ask 'what is this doing to people's lives?' then you might be able to see where i'm coming from. none of that shit is right. none if it is good if people are dying over it. no matter who does it. whether it be will smith or 50 cent, the fact is people are doing dumb shit because of it. that's why i give a shit. cuz a dude on the a train here in new york got killed for his jewels in broad ass daylight picking up his daughter. for some goddam chain around his neck. that's a problem. and i'll bet anythign that the motherfucker that did it heard some shit about 50 and ja