Author Topic: What i dont understand  (Read 218 times)

pappy

What i dont understand
« on: February 05, 2004, 08:48:53 PM »
the current state of rap with the exception of a few rappers doesnt sell at all.  so manny rappers are trying this pop formula an it aint work.  back in the mid 90's thos the street stuff even as a singles was flying off the shelves.  now record sales suck.  now granted mp3 sharing has affected this.  but why dont they try an go back to the old formula

Code Blue

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:What i dont understand
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 09:27:30 PM »
Put simply rap just ain't as good as it was back then. As we're moving into the future this is happening with EVERYTHING. Our economy sucks.

Don Breezio

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 09:34:36 PM »
its like this...hip hop has to grow...much like you or i...the only problem with hip hop growing is (unlike *most* of us) it hasn't matured...not saying it hasnt at all but the mainstream goes more childish with every single put out.

i dont agree that mp3's have affected sales tremendously...a bit yes but not that much...i buy quality albums...even if i've already had it for 3 months before it drops if its worth my money it will get my money. the problem is a lot of shit dropping now is not worth my money.

basically hip hop needs this. if artists take it back to the old formula it becomes boring...simple as that...it may seem like a good idea but when you're hearing the same shit over and over again its gonna get old. hip hop needs to advance, it needs for somebody to come thru and drop a totally new style. a few have tried (lyrics born for example)...but he's underground. the day an mc can come out into the mainstream with some shit that nobody's ever heard and win over the publics hearts (and money) will be the day hip hop matures.

budsmokeronly

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 02:49:24 AM »
no, the problem is generations.  most music bought is by kids, or people 18 or younger, especially rap.  so whatever is popular and on mtv is what the kids will buy, because it is the popular thing to buy and listen to.  Gangsta rap was popular 10 years ago.  Think about it, most people who were into rap when is was the most popular, were a lot younger.  People change their music tastes as they grow older (most people anyways).  Man, most my friends who I grew up with really ain't into rap anymore, even tho back in the day it was their favorite music.  Times just change, and the kids ain't into the westcoast rap, they into gay shit like nelly and 50 cent, and justin timberlake.  I mean, just look at snoop.  snoop changed his style to fit in for the kids.  Just look at the drastic change from doggystyle to paid the cost.

Don Breezio

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 08:29:36 AM »
^^^ thats a big part of it too. i have a lot of friends who stopped listening to rap right around the times of biggies and pacs deaths because after that shit got a little boring.

Nightfall

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 09:03:06 AM »
no, the problem is generations.  most music bought is by kids, or people 18 or younger, especially rap.  so whatever is popular and on mtv is what the kids will buy, because it is the popular thing to buy and listen to.  Gangsta rap was popular 10 years ago.  Think about it, most people who were into rap when is was the most popular, were a lot younger.  People change their music tastes as they grow older (most people anyways).  Man, most my friends who I grew up with really ain't into rap anymore, even tho back in the day it was their favorite music.  Times just change, and the kids ain't into the westcoast rap, they into gay shit like nelly and 50 cent, and justin timberlake.  I mean, just look at snoop.  snoop changed his style to fit in for the kids.  Just look at the drastic change from doggystyle to paid the cost.

kids cant help it
mtv plays what's hot, mtv DECIDES what's hot! and kids simply follow it

if MTV would play videos by non phixion, blackalicious, the lootpack and polyrhythm addicts, kids would buy their records too, and non phixion, blackalicious, the lootpack and polyrhythm addicts would be the groups that are winning the big awards!

and actually, it arent just kids, a lot of 18+ listen to mtv-rap lol

of course, not every "kid" is like that
ima kid, 15 years old and my favorite rapper is tash and my favorite producers are e-swift, dan the automator, dj spinna, dj khalil and madlib

PLANT

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 09:03:37 AM »
I think eventually rappers will start going back to the old formula and being more creative with there raps.  Because right now people are going to start getting bored really fast of hearing the same old shit IMO.

More people should put their heart into there music and make music that people cant actually relate to.

Nightfall

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 09:04:33 AM »
I think eventually rappers will start going back to the old formula and being more creative with there raps.  Because right now people are going to start getting bored really fast of hearing the same old shit IMO.

nah, if MTV keeps playing the shit theyre playing now, itll never change

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004, 10:05:55 AM »
basically hip hop needs this. if artists take it back to the old formula it becomes boring...simple as that...it may seem like a good idea but when you're hearing the same shit over and over again its gonna get old. hip hop needs to advance, it needs for somebody to come thru and drop a totally new style. a few have tried (lyrics born for example)...but he's underground. the day an mc can come out into the mainstream with some shit that nobody's ever heard and win over the publics hearts (and money) will be the day hip hop matures.

this is pretty much on point. but the best-selling "innovative" artists at the moment would have to be Outkast and Andre was the one who declared hiphop was dead lol. But right now there's artists who do have success stickin to older formulas...50 Cent & G-Unit, they got their love songs too, but basically their concept is doin ruff gangsta shit. WSC is doin well with classical gangsta shit. I agree, not elevatin in any way is boring, but to the generation that started listenin to hiphop a year ago G-Unit is new

And as for underground artists tryin to take hiphop to another level and experimentin, there's enuff and sum of them are very good. The problem is really combinin this with mainstream success

kids cant help it
mtv plays what's hot, mtv DECIDES what's hot! and kids simply follow it
yeah, partly it's MTV's fault, but then again playin "different" hiphop would be risky for mtv too cuz it ain't what these kids listen to. so that's kind of a vicious circle. I'm not sure if playin Non-Phixion and Lootpack would make all the kids get into that type of rap, maybe sum of em would be like "fuck this" and of course mtv don't wanna risk that...and that's how it goes
and actually, it arent just kids, a lot of 18+ listen to mtv-rap lol
lol, word, i know too many people who are my age (18) or older and only know that type of shit. I don't really care, but it really ain't just 13 yr olds

Nightfall

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 11:10:07 AM »
yeah, partly it's MTV's fault, but then again playin "different" hiphop would be risky for mtv too cuz it ain't what these kids listen to. so that's kind of a vicious circle. I'm not sure if playin Non-Phixion and Lootpack would make all the kids get into that type of rap, maybe sum of em would be like "fuck this" and of course mtv don't wanna risk that...and that's how it goes

i know, MTV wont risk shit

and mtv doesnt owe shit to rap, theyre all about money

but seriously, MTV could turn mainstream rap listeners into dedicated blackalicious fans within 1 year

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 02:05:14 PM »
blame the labels they don't like risks especially now so they just follow the trends

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

akaDRooPY

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 02:09:19 PM »
what i don't understand is.. why we Park on Driveways, and we Drive on Parkways ???. mind boggling