Author Topic: Soopafly  (Read 175 times)

ACGRUNDY

Soopafly
« on: March 14, 2004, 11:30:09 PM »
aight I was over at another forum and they had a thread sayin that soopafly needs to release an album.  I replied with he is past his prime and shoulda released an album in 97 or 98, and that I wasn't looking foward to an album from him anymore.  I got a few replies of how I was crazy for thinkin that and that soopafly is highly underrated.

Now I got a question for the real rap heads who are not biased.  so the dpg groupies ya shouldn't even bother replying.  My question is:  Do you think soopafly is underrated?

I don't, in fact I think he is highly overrated.  I like his older shit, it was real dope, but for the past couple years he's just been avg.  People all over rap forums praise the shit out of him, and dpg groupies luv him (and that is a lot of people)  I don't think Dat Woopty woop is a very good album, I owned it since it first came out, and it def ain't anything special to me, very avg, and I was highly dissapointed.  whatcha guys with unbiased opinions think?

GangstaBoogy

Re:Soopafly
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 11:45:44 PM »
ahh, a spin off of my thread on wcrydaz...

Quote from: Baby G
Man this cat is ready! Of course he aint gone get the props that he deserve (kuz he from the West), but homie got everything it takes. Yall heard his songs on the Snoop mixtapes? That one "Pass the Dutch Bitch"...it shows all he need is some beats like that. And he ripped that "Light Yo Ass On Fire" beat too.

He should leave Doggystyle. He been ridin with Snoop since 94 and still aint learned. If he get with someone like Universal he'll do iight. Im waitin for a ALL NEW Soopafly album.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Cordy

• 'G'
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 12:21:08 AM »
Soopafly is a good producer and a cool rapper. No he isnt underrated and he does deserve a full length CD.

from the yay

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 12:35:43 AM »
considering he played all the keys on a majority of the rows good shit,plus basically co-producing anything daz produced,as well as solo production,I think he's beyond underated...if you say the name soopafly ,people don't even know who he is,and they should, considering the amount of work he's put in.

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 03:36:34 AM »
Yeah Im right there withcha, Im not looking foward to an album from him anymore. I lost interest, I mean how many songs did he put out in the last 4 years? I bet not more than 10, he had a couple on the Chuuuch mixtapes, and the rest were all guest spots
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

Smoke

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 06:07:38 AM »
ImO it's important the TIME you release an album and the SYSTEM you're in. The time. Look at 50 Cent or Eminem. They've released their albums exactly when ppl started to say: "Damn we need a 50 Cent album!", "Damn we need an Eminem album!". That's why Dre signed them, that's why Dre released their albums before other signed artists who were supposed to drop an album before them. TIME is very important. And Dre is the best knowing it. Right now, i agree, it's not the perfect time to release a Soopafly album. Ppl aint asking "Damn, when is Soopa coming with an album?". There's no interest. When Lil Jay, who has always appreciated him, aint anticipating a virtual album by Soopa, that means it's not the right time. The second important aspect is the SYSTEM you're in. I mean right now ppl wanna hear G-Unit shit, Tha Game and his crew, Rocafella, Aftermath, Shady, etc.. not Doggystyle. Doggystyle is a negative system, right now. Producing wack shit. Ppl aint anticipating "the next Doggystyle" release. Just like they aint anticipating "the next Death Row release" like they could/should (ex. Crooked I, Kurupt). That's why i say it's not the perfect time for Soopa to drop a solo album. Plus i've heard from him he prefeers to produce shit, not to rap. He raps for fun, but he's a producer. So.. let's wait till (hopefully) Doggystyle will be hot again. Right now it isnt.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 06:09:10 AM by .:ACB:. »

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 06:20:05 AM »
^ yep exactly. its only the die hard fans from the dpg forum who want a soopafly album right now. id rather listen to something else, unless he gets my attention again even though its not his fault his album aint out (but its gonna be hard gettin a 2nd chance in the music business). same with knocturnal, its a hit or miss with his new album. but he's lucky they gave him a 2nd chance. but i cant forget about all the shit soopafly produced for death row
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

Smoke

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 06:37:21 AM »
You cant, i know. But the common average buyers of hip-hop music doesnt even know Soopa had something to do with them projects. They know Snoop, they buy Snoop. They know Dre, they buy Dre. They know Warren G, they buy Warren G. But right now they aint anticipating no Snoop, no Warren G, no Nate Dogg, no RBX, no Kurupt, no Daz albums. Just Dre, maybe. But Dre can release it whenever the fuck he wants to release it (if he wants to). That's the difference. An album released by Soopa right now means no promotion, no anticipation, 50,000 copies sold. Less than a G-Unit average mixtape with 2 new tracks and 9 wack remixes.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 06:41:23 AM by .:ACB:. »

BL7

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 07:27:32 AM »
Soopafly is a good producer and a cool rapper. No he isnt underrated and he does deserve a full length CD.

I agree. I had lost interest in Soopafly too, Jay, but I popped in Dat Whoopty Woop and now I can't fuckin' wait for a new Soopa album. ;D