Author Topic: whats up with all this fuckin VBR shit on these rips now a days?  (Read 286 times)

E. J. Rizo

what ever happen to 192 kbps? i guess this is supposed to be better or something i dont know and on the rips you get all the tracks at different values like for example on knocs explicit rip "Watch Out" is at 161 kbps (VBR) and then on the same rip but the track "Peepin Tom" its at 199 kbps (VBR) anyone know whats goin on now a days? and its not just the knoc cd....i can list a few for example.....

Usher - Confessions
Suga Free - New Testament
Cypress HIll - Till Death Do Us Part

??? ??? ???

Don Seer

Re:whats up with all this fuckin VBR shit on these rips now a days?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 08:41:15 AM »
i dunno.. VBR is supposed to be better, not sure why so many groups have changed to using it.

why u mention those rates.. in winamp with VBR the rate jumps all over the place during play.

Jome

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 09:59:08 PM »
^^ Yeah, it's supposed to jump around like that..
I guess "the scene" aka the rippers/dealers/etc. decided that VBR is better..

Here's the deal:

What are VBR .mp3 Files

VBR stands for Variable Bit Rate. MPEG 1, layer 3 files (.mp3 files) are encoded with a specified bit rate, usually 128 kbps (thousand bits per second) or, sometimes 160 or 192 kbps. Breater bit rates generally mean better sound quality and a closer representation of the original sound. With variable bit rate MP3s, the encoder automatically detects which bit rate is most apropriate for the sound being encoded, live. This means that when there is little sound to be heard, the encoder encodes the MP3 with a low bit rate (as low as 16 kbps or less), but when there is very complex sound to be heard, the encoder uses a much higher bit rate (up to 320 kbps) to attain better sound reproduction.
What are the advantages of VBR encoded MP3 files?

VBR encoded MP3s are generally smaller than standard MP3s of the same sound quality and generrally sound better, especially in the high frequencies.
What are the disadvantages of VBR encoded MP3 files?

The primary disadvantage is that older MP3 players cannot play them. However, the latest MP3-playing software such as WinAMP and Windows Medai Player for Windows, and SoundJam, Audion, and MacAMP for Mac OS all play VBR MP3s. The latest hand-held MP3 players may also play VBR MP3s.

ACGRUNDY

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 11:31:26 PM »
shit, my shit sounds fine, I ain't complaining bout free music  8)
but I will complain bout wack music

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 11:32:05 PM »
The difference between 192, and that new shit people are using, Losless encoding, is amazing.  I got a bootleg that was recorded with FLAC or whatever it's called, it sounded like you were in the room with them.  

Young Dan Iza

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 03:28:53 PM »
vbr is better quality cuz it moves wit the music, or what i mean is that if the song has a high hat it will move 2 the best rate that the hi high will sound on a cpu, i really cant tell the differences

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 04:58:56 PM »
yea but vbr ripping programs have been around for years why the sudden change

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 05:13:03 PM »
yeah i think thats what im trying to ask myself....like its been around for a while now why the sudden change i really cant tell the difference i dont know...but just wondering

chronic01

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • StR8 Westcoast
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2004, 07:12:00 PM »
the heads of all the groups decided to do vbr and therefore the entire scene changes over.
they wait until its for sure that the shit is in perfect order thats why they waited for so long to change
doesnt make a huge difference but its a small step up so i wont complain about it

SINLOC

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2004, 07:14:30 PM »
ya the new suga free album had like 493 kbps and up

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 03:38:17 AM »

Now the standard....like ivtc with vids