Author Topic: Uproar as Bush plans visit to Ireland  (Read 127 times)

ITW [the irish boy]

Uproar as Bush plans visit to Ireland
« on: March 24, 2004, 01:36:05 AM »
The country is being shook with anger at the moment with the news that the taoiseach(prime minister) has invited bush to ireland to take part in an eu-us summit. Irish people, the vast majority of whom opposed the war in Iraq, are planning mass protests. All opposition parties have opposed the visit saying he is not welcome here, while the government say that it is the perfect opportunity to question bush personnally over his worrying foreign policy.

I've never seen the country this angered by a state visit. Every newspaper has front page stories about bush bringing armed security men who have the right to shoot, but not immunity (police in ireland are unarmed). There are many reasons why people oppose the visit, many feel it allies us too much with america, others think it will increase  the terrorist threat, and the majority just feel bush doesnt deserve to be put up in our country. How has bush so drastically changed Irish peoples view of america? When clinton visited there were crowds in the streets to welcome him, now they are there to protest. The americans i work with are thoroughly embarressed by the whole thing and i really feel for them.
SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW
BUT DO THEY KNOW TO THINK
THINK ABOUT THINKING
BEFORE THEY KNOW NOTHING
DID THEY KNOW SOMETHING
LETS THINK

Trauma-san

Re:Uproar as Bush plans visit to Ireland
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 05:55:02 AM »
Oh well.  

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 05:56:58 AM »
he got the same reaction and the same stories about security were pushed here when he came to london a few months ago

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 06:00:39 AM »
Oh well.  

infinite59

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 06:11:06 AM »
Thanks for a very informative report straight from Ireland.  All over, many see Bush as the worlds biggest threat to peace and stability.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 06:21:00 AM »
Yeah, nevermind terrorists like Bin Ladin, Saddam Hussein, or these assholes from hamas.  they don't pose a threat, it's Bush.  You guys are going to burn in hell, I'm serious.  You support evil and condemn good.  

ITW [the irish boy]

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 07:06:05 AM »
Yes, we support evil and condemn good ::)

Who do I support that is evil?? I have never said I support terrorism, or anything evil for that matter. I sympathise with their causes, but not with their actions.

And what do I condemn which is good? A war that kills hundreds of innocents, just to oust one man from power? The reduction of human rights in the name of security.

A nice quote from Benjamin Flanklin :
"Those who are willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither liberty or security"

And yeah, we're going to burn in hell for not supporting bush  ;)
SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW
BUT DO THEY KNOW TO THINK
THINK ABOUT THINKING
BEFORE THEY KNOW NOTHING
DID THEY KNOW SOMETHING
LETS THINK