Author Topic: Muddy Waters, Bozz Scaggs, etc...  (Read 106 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Muddy Waters, Bozz Scaggs, etc...
« on: May 25, 2004, 06:27:20 PM »
I've been getting into music by these artists, but I'm having trouble finding songs on this shitty program I'm trying to use and I always like to hear a few songs by an artist before I buy an album.

Can anyone hook me up with some tracks by Muddy Waters, Bozz Scaggs, and other artists on that type of style? Thanks in advance.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re:Muddy Waters, Bozz Scaggs, etc...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 06:46:57 PM »
The thing is if you go to some bargain or used CD stores you could probably find an album for real cheap. The problem with listening to old blues guys on record or cd is they usually suck. Not take any thing away from the artists themselves but the only way to really enjoy Muddy and others is to be their live. Sadly that isn't possible. But seriously, due to poor quality of terrible recordings, and the lack of amazing producers, the essence of the songs and the artists are never truly captured. You're better off listening to covers of their work as performed by Clapton, Stevie Ray, and Thorogood.

I would also suggest you listen to some Howlin' Wolf. I have some records by him, they're amazing. I only have a few songs on my computer. If you're interested let me know.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 06:48:29 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't mind checking out Howlin' Wolf and any other good stuff you've got.

Have MSN?

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 06:53:35 PM »
Yeah sure.

It's peteNatureBoyflair@hotmail.com

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 06:54:14 PM »
Cool thanks.

Paris

Woodrow

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 07:05:14 PM »
Muddy waters CAN be enjoyed on record... IMO one of his best albums is a live album "At Newport" You should DEF check that one out lincoln.

Some other of my favorites are:
Folk Festival of the Blues (another live one)
Folk Singer
Sail On

he's got a huge catalog and most of it is bomb...

Some other Blues guys I like are:

Buddy Guy,
B.B. King,
John lee Hooker,
Sonny Boy Williamson II
Robert Johnson,
Willie Dixon...

If you REALLY wanna go back to some acoustic blues, check out:
Tampa Red,
Bessie Smith,
T-Bone Walker,
Billie Holliday,
Charlie Patton
Eddie "Son" house...

Hit up Kazza or whatever and pick and choose. The Blues has a LOT of history and a LOT of material to catch up on. A nice set to check out is the "Martin Scorsese Presents..." collection. There was a TV series I think you can pick up at blockbuster too if you wanna check that out. It'll give you a nice starting point and lets you see what you prefer in the music.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 07:06:56 PM by Krayze-Eyez Killah »

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 07:41:44 PM »
Muddy waters CAN be enjoyed on record... IMO one of his best albums is a live album "At Newport" You should DEF check that one out lincoln.

Folk Singer
Sail On

Buddy Guy,
B.B. King,
John lee Hooker,
Sonny Boy Williamson II
Robert Johnson,
Willie Dixon...

Tampa Red,
Bessie Smith,
T-Bone Walker,
Billie Holliday,
Charlie Patton
Eddie "Son" house...

Hit up Kazza or whatever and pick and choose. The Blues has a LOT of history and a LOT of material to catch up on. A nice set to check out is the "Martin Scorsese Presents..." collection. There was a TV series I think you can pick up at blockbuster too if you wanna check that out. It'll give you a nice starting point and lets you see what you prefer in the music.

Thanks a lot for all the help man, I know my Dad's got some John Lee Hooker for sure and possibly some of those other artists. I'll be checking them all out.

Paris

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 08:21:12 AM »

Folk Singer
Sail On

Buddy Guy,
B.B. King,
John lee Hooker,
Sonny Boy Williamson II
Robert Johnson,
Willie Dixon...

Tampa Red,
Bessie Smith,
T-Bone Walker,
Billie Holliday,
Charlie Patton
Eddie "Son" house...

That's the live stuff. That was what I was talking about. It's the sudio stuff that comes out wrong. I just feel it would have been way better to be there live in their young days. For example Robert Johnson everyone knows was uncanny, but on the 40 surviving recordings by him, you can barely make out all the music.