Author Topic: LOL. LeBron James gets his own ...  (Read 217 times)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
LOL. LeBron James gets his own ...
« on: August 20, 2004, 07:27:18 AM »
... COMIC BOOK.

Can someone get it and send it to me? Shit's too damn funny. LOL.

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's LeBron!
Thursday, August 19, 2004
Michael Sangiacomo
Plain Dealer Reporter

LeBron James, known as King James, is about to really get the title - in a comic book.

The comic, "King James," will be available only as a promotion with James' new sports drink: Powerade Flava23, a burgundy-colored drink he created with a sourberry flavor.

Buy three bottles of the drink and get a comic book free. The comic is not available any other way.

The 32-ounce bottles of Powerade Flava23, James' number with the Cleveland Cavaliers, will be available in stores nationwide beginning Wednesday, Sept. 1. The average cost will be between $1.89 and $2.

The deal is part of an endorsement package James has with Coca- Cola.

The comic will be produced by DC Comics, home of Superman and Batman. The story pits James against a secret organization that is forcing him to compete in underground basketball tournaments.

He uses his own skill - and some kind of enhanced superpowers - to fight opponents for the crown of the King of Basketball.

The comic, which hopes to ap peal to both sports fans and comics collectors, will be published with 10 different covers.

Four of the covers will be available only at Kroger Co. supermarkets; four others through mail-in redemption; one at military commissaries; and the last at retail stores and mail-in redemption.

"I've always enjoyed reading comics, so helping to create a comic of my own is really cool," James said Wednesday in a statement from DC Comics. "I mean ripped muscles, impossible moves, scoring at will and beating the 'bad guys' - who wouldn't want to be a heroic basketball player in a comic book?"

James is currently in Athens competing in the Olympic Games with the American basketball team.

Since he was drafted by the Cavaliers last year, James has signed more than $135 million worth of deals for Nike (sports shoes and clothing), Coca-Cola (Powerade, Sprite), Juice Batteries, Upper Deck (sports cards) and Bubblicious (chewing gum).

James' Air-Zoom Generation shoes sell for $110. The shoes and James' other Nike merchandise generated $50 million in revenue last year, Nike said.

source nba.com
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Montana00

Re: LOL. LeBron James gets his own ...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 07:29:38 AM »
WHY GOD WHY?

Is it just me or is this getting out of hand?

But it is kind of funny.

davida.b.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 09:36:37 PM »
LOL

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 04:05:21 AM »
this is kinda old, i remember them talking about this back when the season first started

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 12:09:49 PM »
this is kinda old, i remember them talking about this back when the season first started

well talking and doing are two things. the comic will be "in stores" in like a week, you know.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 12:49:59 AM »

well talking and doing are two things. the comic will be "in stores" in like a week, you know.

oh good for you , you get to buy a comic book of the highly overrated rookie of the year and one of the reasons USA basketball sux  ;)

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09