Author Topic: Nelly feat. Tim McGraw "Over & Over"  (Read 446 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Nelly feat. Tim McGraw "Over & Over"
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2004, 07:38:41 PM »

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2004, 07:39:11 PM »
this shit sucks

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2004, 08:18:33 PM »
this shit sucks

Oh.  Not a big country fan?

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2004, 08:19:22 PM »
its not really country... and no.

davida.b.

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2004, 08:23:55 PM »
I say this loud and proud, the only good Country artist is the late, great, Johnny Cash. Thats it. I'm not checking this out

Trauma-san

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2004, 06:30:08 AM »
^ You're so full of shit, nearly all country from the 60's and 70's was in a similar vein as Johnny Cash, if you like him, you'd like dozens of others.  You're just too stereotyped against listening to it.  Country music is great. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2004, 07:23:55 AM »
^ You're so full of shit, nearly all country from the 60's and 70's was in a similar vein as Johnny Cash, if you like him, you'd like dozens of others.  You're just too stereotyped against listening to it.  Country music is great. 

He's obviously never took the time out to listen to Merle. And yes country music is great. Not a fan of a lot of the new stuff though.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2004, 10:56:53 AM »

He's obviously never took the time out to listen to Merle. And yes country music is great. Not a fan of a lot of the new stuff though.

Agreed.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Trauma-san

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2004, 04:25:14 PM »
Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, Conway Twitty, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, George Jones, George Strait, Alan Jackson, Patsy Cline, Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn, Randy Travis, Glen Cambell, there's dozens of great country artists who had dozens of hits. 

The real beauty in Country Music is generally, they aren't singer-songwriters (some are).  The reason this is a benefit is that in Nashville, you have groups of GREAT songwriters who sit around all day writing songs for the artists... so you have someone with a great voice like Randy Travis, who can release an album every 6 months if he wants, because all he has to do is pick and choose from all these great songs.  So typically, country musicians will have album after album of good, quality songs.

On the flip side, you have the norm in Rock, and Rap; the band is pretentious enough to think they can write, so they sit around writing for 4 years, then put out an album; half the songs suck because they don't have the talent to produce enough songs to whittle away down to a good solid dozen tracks, and you only get 1 album every 3 or 4 years. 

In the meanwhile, George Strait has released 5 albums with 60 songs written by the greatest songwriters alive. 

Country REALLY gets slept on.  I understand it's just not some people's flavor, though, depends on where you come from, I guess you have to relate to it a little bit. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 04:27:29 PM by SMiLE »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2004, 04:35:41 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Country still sells huge though. It's the only genre that hasn't suffered since the internet file sharing revolution.

And there are great singer song writers their too. Kristofferson was always a champ, and Cash and Merle wrote a lot of their songs.

davida.b.

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2004, 04:43:50 PM »
Well, I never heard of any of the artists you mentioned SMiLE, so I guess when I get the chance, I'll listen to some of their shit. I guess I shouldn't judge an entire genre based on a few crappy artists (Dixie Chicks, etc).

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2004, 05:00:57 PM »

In the meanwhile, George Strait has released 5 albums with 60 songs written by the greatest songwriters alive. 

I haven't listened to George Straight in too long a time. Thanks for reminding me. I just broke out some of his CDs and put 'em in. Great songs, sung by a great singer!!!!!!!! You can't ask for anything more.

Trauma-san

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2004, 11:31:32 PM »
George Strait is releasing an album in October called... get this... 50 #1 hits.  That's the name of the album.  The motherfucker has 50 NUMBER ONE HITS.  He's a monster.  Nobody else is even on his level in country!  People respect and love Johnny Cash, or George Jones, but neither one had 50 #1 hits.  I think Alabama had 42 #1 hits or something, but good god almighty. 

I wasn't saying there aren't any singer songwriters in Nashville, just that most don't write their own songs.  Some do... Alan Jackson does, Dwight Yoakum does, Shania Twain does, etc.  They almost never write a full album, though, and they have the benefit (or the wisdom?) of picking from all the nashville songwriters catalogues, Dwight Yoakum will write like 3 songs, then pick 9 or 10 from other songwriters, and have a great album on his hands, every year.  In my opinion, that's the way to do it.

Download "Tell me Something Bad About Tulsa" by George Strait.  It was on his CD from last year, it's an unbelievable song vocally, in my opinion.  Maybe my favorite song ever by him. 

Trauma-san

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2004, 11:36:27 PM »
Well, I never heard of any of the artists you mentioned SMiLE, so I guess when I get the chance, I'll listen to some of their shit. I guess I shouldn't judge an entire genre based on a few crappy artists (Dixie Chicks, etc).

Yeah, the Dixie Chicks are trash.  They're imposters, they don't even want to be considered country anymore.   Anyone that goes around saying they don't want to be called country, I mean, come on.  That ought to tell you they're pretentious and fake as hell.  Be what you are, don't be ashamed of the type of music you make.  Fake-ass bitches.  All 3 of them are about 3.5's, as well.