Author Topic: Does anybody know if it's true....  (Read 239 times)

Trauma-san

Does anybody know if it's true....
« on: September 09, 2004, 09:22:14 PM »
That when they play songs on the radio, often they're sped up slightly, so it makes them shorter, and they can fit more commercials in?  I've heard songs before, that were OBVIOUSLY faster than the CD version.  It may be true of all of them, I dunno.  Today I heard "Gin & Juice" on the radio, and it was noticeablly faster, everyone's voices were higher pitched, etc. 

Anybody ever heard that, or worked @ a radio station and knows for sure? 

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: Does anybody know if it's true....
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 09:54:21 PM »
Can't confirm but I have noticed it as well. In fact, a few years ago my Dad & I were discussing it.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Jome

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 10:20:49 PM »
That when they play songs on the radio, often they're sped up slightly, so it makes them shorter, and they can fit more commercials in?  I've heard songs before, that were OBVIOUSLY faster than the CD version.  It may be true of all of them, I dunno.  Today I heard "Gin & Juice" on the radio, and it was noticeablly faster, everyone's voices were higher pitched, etc. 

Anybody ever heard that, or worked @ a radio station and knows for sure? 

I can confirm that.
Certain radio station also add more bass, or remove bass, to make the songs fit their image.

Like the local urban station (commercial) in our city slightly speed the track up, and add a little bass..
And the old boring "serious" non-commercial station remove a little bass to make it easier on the older/more conservative listeners.

It's not a big change though, you gotta have a trained ear to hear the difference.
As for speeding it up, it makes the song shorter, and they also cut some parts of the song sometimes if it sounds natural.. more time for commercials that way.

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 11:05:31 PM »
If anybody listens to rock channels, they also play some old songs that are extremely short, so they can say "12 in a row!" but one of the songs is only a minute and a half, or whatever.  That's why they played that song by Del Amitri so much, called "Roll To Me", it was less than 2 minutes long.  They used to play it like every hour, I finally figured it out. 

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 11:29:08 PM »
They rarely do that...

Suga Foot

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 11:55:30 PM »
only time I noticed that was when they have a live DJ mixing records, and he'll speed up the Acapella to fit whatever instrumental he uses.

MANBEARPIG.

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 12:35:37 AM »
yea I noticed it too, at night when the radio station they always speed it up when mixing and what not, they also speed up alot at night for no apparent reason, I noticed it recently whenever they play Jadakiss- Why they do it which fucks up his previously shitty voice anyway :-\

-KIDRENEGADE-

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 03:14:03 AM »
damn, it sucks. Power 106 and 100.3 the Beat usually speed up songs, which pisses me off. "Gagnsta Nations" sounds wack as fuck sped up!
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 04:27:14 AM »
they also make certain "landscape" scenes in movies longer so the movie gets longer so they can add more commercial and make more money.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 04:34:39 AM »
Yeah, I've noticed that too...they do it every now & then here in Belgium on some radio stations...not often though.

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 08:15:24 AM »
They usually leave verses out. I noticed on the radio version of how come they leave out like half of the song.

pappy

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 09:08:28 AM »
its done a lot.  One of the most noticble songs ive heard is by every1's favorite group on this board... the black eyed peas.  I remember hearing in a station once an it was like hearin the chipmunks do it.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 11:44:52 AM »
I can confirm that also, I kno alot of cats in the radio business. But it doesn't happen all the time though. Only certain time where they're pushing for time, or certain shows which is hosted by different people etc.

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Throwback

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2004, 11:47:07 AM »
they chop it up here in holland im pretty sure. they just take one verse + hook out of the song

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2004, 05:11:58 PM »
they also make certain "landscape" scenes in movies longer so the movie gets longer so they can add more commercial and make more money.

PAL convert is automatically sped up (it's unnoticeable though)...LOL