Author Topic: Malcolm X's Classic letter about Islam written while in Mekkah.......  (Read 270 times)

infinite59

Malcolm X's (Al-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz) Letter from Mecca
THE PILGRIMAGE TO MAKKAH
When he was in Makkah, Al-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz wrote a letter to his loyal assistants in Harlem... from his heart:

"Never have I witnessed such sincere hospitality and overwhelming spirit of true brotherhood as is practiced by people of all colors and races here in this ancient Holy Land, the home of Abraham, Muhammad and all the other Prophets of the Holy Scriptures. For the past week, I have been utterly speechless and spellbound by the graciousness I see displayed all around me by people of all colors.

"I have been blessed to visit the Holy City of Mecca, I have made my seven circuits around the Ka'ba, led by a young Mutawaf named Muhammad, I drank water from the well of the Zam Zam. I ran seven times back and forth between the hills of Mt. Al-Safa and Al Marwah. I have prayed in the ancient city of Mina, and I have prayed on Mt. Arafat."

"There were tens of thousands of pilgrims, from all over the world. They were of all colors, from blue-eyed blondes to black-skinned Africans. But we were all participating in the same ritual, displaying a spirit of unity and brotherhood that my experiences in America had led me to believe never could exist between the white and non-white."

"America needs to understand Islam, because this is the one religion that erases from its society the race problem. Throughout my travels in the Muslim world, I have met, talked to, and even eaten with people who in America would have been considered white - but the white attitude was removed from their minds by the religion of Islam. I have never before seen sincere and true brotherhood practiced by all colors together, irrespective of their color."

"You may be shocked by these words coming from me. But on this pilgrimage, what I have seen, and experienced, has forced me to rearrange much of my thought-patterns previously held, and to toss aside some of my previous conclusions. This was not too difficult for me. Despite my firm convictions, I have always been a man who tries to face facts, and to accept the reality of life as new experience and new knowledge unfolds it. I have always kept an open mind, which is necessary to the flexibility that must go hand in hand with every form of intelligent search for truth."

"During the past eleven days here in the Muslim world, I have eaten from the same plate, drunk from the same glass, and slept on the same rug - while praying to the same God - with fellow Muslims, whose eyes were the bluest of blue, whose hair was the blondest of blond, and whose skin was the whitest of white. And in the words and in the deeds of the white Muslims, I felt the same sincerity that I felt among the black African Muslims of Nigeria, Sudan and Ghana."

"We were truly all the same (brothers) - because their belief in one God had removed the white from their minds, the white from their behavior, and the white from their attitude."

"I could see from this, that perhaps if white Americans could accept the Oneness of God, then perhaps, too, they could accept in reality the Oneness of Man - and cease to measure, and hinder, and harm others in terms of their 'differences' in color."

"With racism plaguing America like an incurable cancer, the so-called 'Christian' white American heart should be more receptive to a proven solution to such a destructive problem. Perhaps it could be in time to save America from imminent disaster - the same destruction brought upon Germany by racism that eventually destroyed the Germans themselves."

"Each hour here in the Holy Land enables me to have greater spiritual insights into what is happening in America between black and white. The American Negro never can be blamed for his racial animosities - he is only reacting to four hundred years of the conscious racism of the American whites. But as racism leads America up the suicide path, I do believe, from the experiences that I have had with them, that the whites of the younger generation, in the colleges and universities, will see the handwriting on the walls and many of them will turn to the spiritual path of truth - the only way left to America to ward off the disaster that racism inevitably must lead to."

"Never have I been so highly honored. Never have I been made to feel more humble and unworthy. Who would believe the blessings that have been heaped upon an American Negro? A few nights ago, a man who would be called in America a white man, a United Nations diplomat, an ambassador, a companion of kings, gave me his hotel suite, his bed. Never would I have even thought of dreaming that I would ever be a recipient of such honors - honors that in America would be bestowed upon a King - not a Negro."

"All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of all the Worlds.

Sincerely,

Al-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz (Malcolm X)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: Malcolm X's Classic letter about Islam written while in Mekkah.......
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 08:43:20 AM »
Yeah I love that letter. One of my first experiences in my learnings in Islam was this letter.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 08:52:38 AM »
I'm a white christian man and I never had a problem accepting the oneness of man. I have always treated all men as my brothers and all women as my sisters (adolescent mishaps excluded). I am also Greek and can say that duriing the 400 years Blacks were enslaved by Whites, Greek Orthodox Christians were enslaved by Muslims. So I feel the need to say that,( at least some), muslims seem to only except the oneness of man when that man agrees with their beliefs. And I can never accept a religion where even it's most righteous leaders follow that.

Immortal

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 10:20:46 AM »
thanks for posting that out brother, I aint no Muslim nor a Christian but sure as hell respect that post. Malcolm X was a great man in my opinion and did the right thing as was necessary, peace be upon him.

peace
"Tha Immortality of my Fame is the measure of others torture..."--GZA

infinite59

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 08:42:57 PM »
I'm a white christian man and I never had a problem accepting the oneness of man. I have always treated all men as my brothers and all women as my sisters (adolescent mishaps excluded). I am also Greek and can say that duriing the 400 years Blacks were enslaved by Whites, Greek Orthodox Christians were enslaved by Muslims. So I feel the need to say that,( at least some), muslims seem to only except the oneness of man when that man agrees with their beliefs. And I can never accept a religion where even it's most righteous leaders follow that.

You know why he talks about the Oneness of man?  Is because, if you read the sentence he is talking about how belief in the Oneness of God, has the power to bring all mankind together.  Muslim's are EXTREME monotheists.  The biggest sin a Muslim can commit is associating partners to God.  We don't put race, nationalism, or any man before God.  God is the greatest and nothing is worthy of worship but him.  Muslims believe that the Christians have divided mankind by ascribing partners to God (as have other religions).  But God is One, and there is nothing worthy of worship in reality but God. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 11:30:47 PM »

You know why he talks about the Oneness of man?  Is because, if you read the sentence he is talking about how belief in the Oneness of God, has the power to bring all mankind together.  Muslim's are EXTREME monotheists.  The biggest sin a Muslim can commit is associating partners to God.  We don't put race, nationalism, or any man before God.  God is the greatest and nothing is worthy of worship but him.  Muslims believe that the Christians have divided mankind by ascribing partners to God (as have other religions).  But God is One, and there is nothing worthy of worship in reality but God. 

How is this a response to what I said?

First off you say how a belief in a oneness of God brings people together and christianity is split because christians split God. Then explain why Muslims are split as well. And explain why it's okay for muslims to enslave an entire people and treat then as such unless they convert. That isn't holy in any way shape or form. It's evil, and evil iis with in all men and evil actions are committed by all men. At least every man I've ever heard or read about, except one: Jesus (of course I believe he was more than a man).

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 01:24:57 AM »
That was definitely one o fhis greatest writings. The trip to Mecca really did open his eyes to the truth.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 08:42:44 AM »
That was definitely one o fhis greatest writings. The trip to Mecca really did open his eyes to the truth.

Well if the truth is white people can be good people if they convert to Islam, then I guess he did open his eyes to the truth. I believe that his trip to Mecca washed away much of his ignorance, but that doesn't mean he saw the truth. I will always strongly feel that if he had the resources he would have taken over America and enslave the whites (and any one else), unless they chose to convert, just like every other Muslim leader before him. If Muhammed himself walked around with an army trying to conquer, then I wouldn't put it past Malcolm. I've spoken to a lot of blacks who wanted to convert or have converted, and it all boiled down to the same thing, as far as what interested them the most. Every time it was because Muhammed took no shit and fought back against his oppressors. I always believed that a true faith in God would mean that one would have complete trust in him, and knowing that he will take care of you. Blessed are the oppressed for they will be free. I strongly believe that God will take care of me, so I chose not to fight those who try and bring me down and let God do so (by this I don't mean he will punish them for me, I mean he will bring me up eventually). Wouldn't death be the ultimate reward, since he brings you up with him?

I understand that my hard times pale in comparison to those of slaves, but millions of christians over the beginning years of christianty had enough faith not to fight back. Mohandas Ghandi  had enough undertanding of what is right to know how to have faith in it.

infinite59

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 10:13:00 AM »

Well if the truth is white people can be good people if they convert to Islam, then I guess he did open his eyes to the truth. I believe that his trip to Mecca washed away much of his ignorance, but that doesn't mean he saw the truth. I will always strongly feel that if he had the resources he would have taken over America and enslave the whites (and any one else), unless they chose to convert, just like every other Muslim leader before him. If Muhammed himself walked around with an army trying to conquer, then I wouldn't put it past Malcolm. I've spoken to a lot of blacks who wanted to convert or have converted, and it all boiled down to the same thing, as far as what interested them the most. Every time it was because Muhammed took no shit and fought back against his oppressors. I always believed that a true faith in God would mean that one would have complete trust in him, and knowing that he will take care of you. Blessed are the oppressed for they will be free. I strongly believe that God will take care of me, so I chose not to fight those who try and bring me down and let God do so (by this I don't mean he will punish them for me, I mean he will bring me up eventually). Wouldn't death be the ultimate reward, since he brings you up with him?

I understand that my hard times pale in comparison to those of slaves, but millions of christians over the beginning years of christianty had enough faith not to fight back. Mohandas Ghandi  had enough undertanding of what is right to know how to have faith in it.

So if Christians like yourself are so non-violent, then why is Bush's strongest support group in this country the Christian right?  How come the Christian right has been behind him in the killing of 100,000 people in Afganistan and Iraq?  What happened to thou shall not kill?

Second of all, Muhammad was not a conqueror.  Muhammad (peace be upon him) and his followers were kicked out of Mekkah because they worshipped One God and withdrew from all forms of idol worship.  They had to make hijrah to the neighboring city of Medina so that they could worship in peace.  Then after their numbers grew substantially they bargained with the Mekkan's to allow them to make pilgrimage there once a year.  Then, the people of Mekkah began accepting Islam in droves, so the government go nervous when the saw the strength of Islam.  So the Mekkan government broke that treaty and attacked the Muslims.  It was only then, after more than 13 years of persecution that Muhammad and his followers fought a fierce jihad in Mekkah.  The Qu'ran tells Muslims that they can defend themselves when they are being oppressed, but a Muslim is never to be the aggressor.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 10:16:44 AM by Hajj Ibrahim Islam »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 11:06:07 AM »

So if Christians like yourself are so non-violent, then why is Bush's strongest support group in this country the Christian right?  How come the Christian right has been behind him in the killing of 100,000 people in Afganistan and Iraq?  What happened to thou shall not kill?

Second of all, Muhammad was not a conqueror.  Muhammad (peace be upon him) and his followers were kicked out of Mekkah because they worshipped One God and withdrew from all forms of idol worship.  They had to make hijrah to the neighboring city of Medina so that they could worship in peace.  Then after their numbers grew substantially they bargained with the Mekkan's to allow them to make pilgrimage there once a year.  Then, the people of Mekkah began accepting Islam in droves, so the government go nervous when the saw the strength of Islam.  So the Mekkan government broke that treaty and attacked the Muslims.  It was only then, after more than 13 years of persecution that Muhammad and his followers fought a fierce jihad in Mekkah.  The Qu'ran tells Muslims that they can defend themselves when they are being oppressed, but a Muslim is never to be the aggressor.

He "conquered" Mekkah didn't he? And even after that he had a couple battles here and there with enemies of the people kicked him out of Mekkah. Some even say that he approved the beheading of 600 jews from a tribe near Medina. Don't say that's a lie because you weren't there. I wasn't either so I will not state it as factual. What is factual is how he legalized slavery, war, and polygamy. Of course only for men to have more wives. God forbid he allow women to have multiple husbands. He waged wars on those who did not accept him (christians, jews, other arabs). The corpses are the proof. Didn't he say in his last sermon that "No...apostle will come after me, and no new faith will be born", yet Islam itself split into the Sunni, Shiite, Druze and Alawite just after he died. I'd like to think that one who speaks to God would know of things to come.

Fuck the Christian Right!!!!!! Don't blame Jesus because a whole lot of people who claim to believe in his word, wouldn't follow him down the stairs to save their lives. The difference is Muhammed himself committed evil acts or at the very least condoned them, and he is your perfect human. Not even Ghandi had to go to those extents and he never claimed divinty. Yet he served a great purpose. To me Muhammed was no different than Alexander the Great, or Caesar. You name me one act of blatant evil that Jesus ever committed and I'll join you myself and try and convert people to Islam.

For the record I don't really belong to any Christian sect or attend church, because Jesus never said so. I don't pray because if God knows all and hears all and sees all then aren't I talking to him all the time? Thus praying. I don't commit acts upon others that would hurt if those acts were done to me, because it feels wrong. AND I DON'T GO AROUND TRYING TO CONVERT PEOPLE TO CHRISTIANTY. If I see evil then I do my best to stop it. I may make reference to Jesus, but that is more to tone down the situation. I try and use reason and logic, much liike Jesus would, to keep the peace.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 12:07:03 PM »
Hey Tom, I'm not sure if my message got sent. Did you get one?

pappy

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2004, 07:39:04 PM »
yes i jus replied to you

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 08:51:39 PM »
Shallow, you are speaking some nonsense regarding the details of the Prophets leadership
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

tommyilromano

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 01:16:39 AM »

He "conquered" Mekkah didn't he? And even after that he had a couple battles here and there with enemies of the people kicked him out of Mekkah. Some even say that he approved the beheading of 600 jews from a tribe near Medina. Don't say that's a lie because you weren't there. I wasn't either so I will not state it as factual. What is factual is how he legalized slavery, war, and polygamy. Of course only for men to have more wives. God forbid he allow women to have multiple husbands. He waged wars on those who did not accept him (christians, jews, other arabs). The corpses are the proof. Didn't he say in his last sermon that "No...apostle will come after me, and no new faith will be born", yet Islam itself split into the Sunni, Shiite, Druze and Alawite just after he died. I'd like to think that one who speaks to God would know of things to come.

Fuck the Christian Right!!!!!! Don't blame Jesus because a whole lot of people who claim to believe in his word, wouldn't follow him down the stairs to save their lives. The difference is Muhammed himself committed evil acts or at the very least condoned them, and he is your perfect human. Not even Ghandi had to go to those extents and he never claimed divinty. Yet he served a great purpose. To me Muhammed was no different than Alexander the Great, or Caesar. You name me one act of blatant evil that Jesus ever committed and I'll join you myself and try and convert people to Islam.

For the record I don't really belong to any Christian sect or attend church, because Jesus never said so. I don't pray because if God knows all and hears all and sees all then aren't I talking to him all the time? Thus praying. I don't commit acts upon others that would hurt if those acts were done to me, because it feels wrong. AND I DON'T GO AROUND TRYING TO CONVERT PEOPLE TO CHRISTIANTY. If I see evil then I do my best to stop it. I may make reference to Jesus, but that is more to tone down the situation. I try and use reason and logic, much liike Jesus would, to keep the peace.

At least Caesar was civilized...

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 07:50:19 AM »
Shallow, you are speaking some nonsense regarding the details of the Prophets leadership

I'm more than happy to admit my faults. Could you please point them out?