Author Topic: anybody listen to french rap?  (Read 338 times)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
anybody listen to french rap?
« on: September 15, 2004, 04:26:11 AM »
this topic is prolly gettin 0-2 replies, but I'll do it anyways. does anybody (maybe sum european) on here listen to french hiphop? i've been gettin into it lately and i think in european hiphop production might be on the highest level there is (except sum uk stuff, but the style is quite different, generally). i don't understand alot, but sum shit is mad dope nevertheless. sum nice artists would be

iam
manau
rohff
booba
rocca
profecy
triptik

...anybody?? nobody?

UDollar A.K.A Nino

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm sorry you had to see me like that...
Re: anybody listen to french rap?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 05:19:35 AM »
Yeah I've heard that Manau guy a couple of times, and even rocca, but dunno how i feel about it.. The production, like you wrote, is pretty great most of the time but I don't understand none of the lyrics so thats really annoying.. But if you like to listen to other European mc's, and you like the "gangsta rap" sound in the productions, i would definitely recommend you to give these albums a listen:

L.O.C - Dominologi

L.O.C - Inkarneret

Suspekt - Ingen Slukker the Stars

U$O - Mr. Mista

They are all danish rappers, who for the most part have this guy named Rune Rask producing for them.. And I'm telling you man, he never brings a bad beat with him.. Plus the rappers a crazy.. Orgie-E and Troo.l.s. from Suspekt are sick and can spit some real ish, L.O.C. has one of the best hard voices/flows out there and U$O brings that R&B sound to his flow plus he is the fastes rapper over here in Scandinavia.. So try to tjeck them out if you ever get an opportunity..
"I have loved you," says the LORD. "Yet you say, 'In what way have you loved us?' "Was not Esau Jacob's brother?" Says the LORD. "Yet Jacob I have loved" - Malachi 1:2

The final season of Lost - 2010

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 05:48:39 AM »
no.. i wouldnt be able to handle the accents

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 06:31:01 AM »
ive got a cd that came free with a hip hop mag i bought in Paris. listened to it a couple of times, pain in the arse when you cant understand a word they are saying tho...

its got triptik on it, other than that ive only listened to IAM, and Saian Supa Crew...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

Throwback

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 06:51:09 AM »
ive listened a bit to saian supa crew, IAM, MC Solaar, Manau( check out La tribu de Dana, really dope song. even when you dont understand shit)

and there's some R&B singer that has an single out here in Holland now. its pretty dope.

Theodore

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 08:26:40 AM »
just know starflam, they are pretty good
check out la sonora, donne-moi de l'amour , ils ne savent pas,..

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 10:09:16 AM »
well, i don't understand French either, so i just listen to a few songs just for the beats. These are dope songs right here:

IAM - Nés Sous La Meme Etoile
Match Nul - Eloquence
NTM - Affirmative Action (RMX) same version as the firm with NTM Verse
NTM - Pose ton gun
and of course, don't forget Mission Cleopatra with Snoop Dogg and Jamel

haven't really heard any german, italian, spanish, or any other kind of rap except UK. There's a dope song called "Modern Times" by a group called J-Five. IT samples some old charlie chaplin shit. Awesome song
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 02:20:24 PM »
Manau (which is a group btw, not a guy) is really dope...Tribu De Dana is on their 1st album ("Panique Celtique"), which has a very unique sound, my fav french album. "Pantheon" by Booba is a great album, much rawer and darker than most french rap, i forgot about saian supa crew, "X Raisons" is very good, and every IAM album i know is worth gettin. i speak a little french so i can try to understand sum of it, but it's difficult

Nino: I'ma d/l sumthin when i got time, but i won't understand jack of course since it's danish

white boy: chu mean, accents? they ain't rappin in english with a french accent if u thought so

Danté Williams

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Diggie Dee aka Tha Preacher
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 06:29:58 AM »
Alliance Ethink are funky. It's got that kind of commercial appeal but staying true to hiphop, with a lot of funky influences and a lot of nice scratches. "Fat Comeback", their second album is dope as fuck and features De La Soul, Rahzel, Common...

K-Mel's solo album (Reflexions) is also dope, plus it has that westcoast sound all over it. He even features Nate Dogg and Warren G. His first single "Bitch" is dope, download that, you'll like it.

I also like Lord Kossity a lot. He's kinda dancehall / hip hop. Dope mixture, dancehall rugged voice with a hiphop vibe, specially on his latest album, "Koss city".

Timmeeeehh

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Bloaw.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 07:18:50 AM »
IAM; I have some songs of them, lay back :D

Saian Supa Crew, from an album from the RZA..

Tsjaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2004, 07:48:33 AM »
Well, because I live in Belgium I've got the advantage that I can speak both Dutch & French, so hell yeah...I listen to French rap.
I'm kinda surprised that some of you actually have heard of cats like Rohff, IAM, NTM (Nique Ta Mère = Fuck Your Mother ;) ), Booba, etc...two thumbs up for not being narrow-minded when it comes to Hip-Hop! Next to the States, the French rap-scene is the biggest in the world, along with the UK of course.

I thought I was gonna see the name "Sniper" too, 'cause that's one of the most popular Hip-Hop groups in France, along with IAM & NTM. If you're able to download a song of them, I suggest you do it, 'cause practically every song they got is banging. They're (in)famous for making songs about topics such as racism, terrorism, Arrafat, life in the streets, etc...Not your typical commercial group.

And yeah, La Tribu De Dana by Manau is like a classic. Truth be told, it was a very commercial song which also had a lot of success here in Belgium, and because of that, they lost a bit of respect from some people who claim they "weren't real Hip-Hop". Well fuck that, 'cause their album is very creative, by using those typical Celtic instruments.
Too bad that you guys can't understand the lyrics of that song, 'cause it's very interesting. It's a story about a guy who leaves his family to go on war with an other tribe, and he explains everything that happens...he's just a soldier but his aspirations consist of trying to be leader of his tribe (tribe = tribu) and eventually they're having a hard time on the battle-field & there's a lot of bloodshed, but they never give up. At the end he wins the war & returns to family. Imagine Nas or Biggie rhyming about that...it's the same thing. You can just close your eyes and picture it as if it's happening right now.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2004, 10:15:29 AM »
^^ 'commercial', fuck that, that shit's hella creative...the whole album is great, "L'avenir est un long passé" (dope lyrics too, from what i understand), "Qui est la Belette?", "Je Parle", etc...

Sniper is cool too, i heard a few songs by them. Never really liked NTM (always found that name kinda retarded), but sum of their shit is ok

Alliance Ethink are funky. It's got that kind of commercial appeal but staying true to hiphop, with a lot of funky influences and a lot of nice scratches. "Fat Comeback", their second album is dope as fuck and features De La Soul, Rahzel, Common...

K-Mel's solo album (Reflexions) is also dope, plus it has that westcoast sound all over it. He even features Nate Dogg and Warren G. His first single "Bitch" is dope, download that, you'll like it.

I also like Lord Kossity a lot. He's kinda dancehall / hip hop. Dope mixture, dancehall rugged voice with a hiphop vibe, specially on his latest album, "Koss city".

those sound dope, i'ma check em out too

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2004, 02:52:46 PM »
Have heard a few tracks now and there but never really got into it enough to buy a whole album of the stuff.

Might have to check out some Alliance Ethink stuff though, sounds like they got some dope guest appearances and I remember a French guy I know saying that  DJ Hi-Tek has produced a couple of tracks for them in the past.

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2004, 06:32:09 AM »
^^^^Yeah, that definitely could be true.
RZA has worked with Saïan Supa Crew.
Denaun Porter produced a song for Rohff

It's good to see American producers working with foreign artists...

Danté Williams

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Diggie Dee aka Tha Preacher
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2004, 06:58:38 AM »
Its Alliance Ethnik tho, I misspelled it in my first post. Sorry.