Author Topic: Major Moves in Music Publishing Catalog Rights (Sony/Jackson/BMG)  (Read 216 times)

Trauma-san

Well, Michael Jackson & Sony collectively own "Sony/Atv" publishing, one of the largest holders of publshed songs in the world.  BMG Music I believe is #2? #3? I don't know the specifics, but articles have been popping up, suggesting the two are trying to merge their catalogs, and push Michael out, creating the largest publishing company in the world. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 5, 2004 -- Sony's U.S. unit and embattled pop singer Michael Jackson are expected to begin negotiations soon to unwind a partnership that owns the rights to songs by The Beatles, The Post has learned.

Sony is intent on wresting control of the business from Jackson while Jackson, facing child molestation charges in Los Angeles, is likely to agree to exit the partnership because of his financial troubles, sources said.

While no formal negotiations about the exit have been held, general discussions between Sony and Jackson's representatives, including music attorney John Branca and financial adviser Charles Koppelman, about the post-merger direction of the partnership have taken place, sources said.

Meanwhile, Sony will enter talks with significant leverage, since Jackson's half of the partnership carries a $200 million loan from Bank of America — co-signed by Sony.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, the article is incorrect.  The 200 million dollar loan doesn't even exist, and Michael's contended for years he has plenty of money, and he would never sell the Beatles Catalog... so I looked around, and found this from the hitsdaily double rumour mill...

JACKSON'S SONY/ATV NOT FOR SALE Despite N. Y. Post reports to the contrary, inside sources insist Michael Jackson is not looking to sell his 50% stake in Sony/ATV Music Publishing, worth approximately $500 million, and is, in fact, looking for investors to buy out Sony Corp.'s share in the pubbery. (10/5p)

Sikx

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • pulu<3hewi
Re: Major Moves in Music Publishing Catalog Rights (Sony/Jackson/BMG)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 08:24:24 AM »
interesting.. thats hell-a-lot of money..

pappy

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 09:42:13 AM »

However, the article is incorrect.  The 200 million dollar loan doesn't even exist, and Michael's contended for years he has plenty of money, and he would never sell the Beatles Catalog... so I looked around, and found this from the hitsdaily double rumour mill...

JACKSON'S SONY/ATV NOT FOR SALE Despite N. Y. Post reports to the contrary, inside sources insist Michael Jackson is not looking to sell his 50% stake in Sony/ATV Music Publishing, worth approximately $500 million, and is, in fact, looking for investors to buy out Sony Corp.'s share in the pubbery. (10/5p)

ny post is quite possibly the biggest joke of a news paper in america so dont believe what they say.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 12:41:12 PM »
yo wat up with jackos case? the more i hear of it, the more i feel dude probably done some funny shit with some lil kids cuz he gettin mo fucked in the head by the day but at the same time cuz im a big fan of his shit, i like to think his innocent, but if he comes out innocent from this case, is his music career over or he still gone release new albums?

Sikotic™

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 01:08:07 PM »
I hope Michael doesn;t sell it just because of how Sony fucked him over.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 01:45:08 PM »
wait so michael owns the right to all of beatles music? or..

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 02:59:34 PM »

I hope he does have to sell it, just because of how he fucked McCartney over.

(Sony never fucked over Michael. They just had to make a business decision. Michael was supposively Paul's friend)

Fuck Jackson

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 03:03:52 PM »
can someone gimi a brief history of how all dis shit went down

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 03:19:02 PM »
can someone gimi a brief history of how all dis shit went down

It all happened at the peak of Jackson's career. He and Paul McCartney were friends. Paul would complain about how he didn't own the rights to his songs. He would also tell Mike how buying publishing is a great investment. News broke that the Beatles songs were going to be auctioned off. A delighted Paul called up his buddy Mike and told him the good news, and that he was going to bid for them, and hopefully finally get them. It looked like Paul was going to win. But, then an anonymous bidder started bidding and out bid Paul's capacity. So Paul called up Yoko and requested that the two bid together, but the secret bidder was too rich. The secret bidder ended up being Michael Jackson. A devastated McCartney called up Mike and asked what was the deal. Mike answered; "I't's just business", and Paul said; "yeah, but I thought we were friends".

For anyone that ever wonders why I don't sympathize with that bitch, now you know. The only reason I hope the sex claims are false are for the sake of all the children that may have been abused and scarred for life. I could care less for that ruthless son of a bitch, who thinks he's Jesus.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 03:24:16 PM »
For a less biased version, I found an Article: This one is more accurate and more factual than mine, but mine makes Jackson look more like an asshole, and Paul more like a victim. I like my version better. However the fact remains that Jackson outbid his friend McCartney when he should not have.

McCartney is lost for words

Pop singer loses fight to gain copyright of Beatles songs

Martin Wainwright
Wednesday August 16, 1995
The Guardian

The former Beatle Paul McCartney has been outmanouevred over the copyright of his most famous Lennon-McCartney songs by Michael Jackson, the American singer who once joined him in a teasing duet about personal rivalry, This Girl Is Mine. Jackson is reported to have paid $47.5m about £34m, for the British company ATV Music, which owns the copyright to almost all the songs written by McCartney with the late John Lennon.
The Beatles lost control of the copyright after a fierce legal battle in 1969. McCartney failed to buy the copyright in 1981 when he offered more than £21m to Lord Grade, who then controlled ATV Music. A later joint attempt with Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, also failed.

McCartney was reported in the United States yesterday to have joined Yoko Ono in a new bid, competing with Jackson, Coca Cola, the record companies, EMI, CBS and a music publishing house Lawrence Welks. The collection of 260 songs went to Jackson, whose own recent effort, Thriller, sold 35m copies, far more than any other album. His huge wealth will be marginally increased by royalty income - payable whenever the songs are recorded - which brought ATV some £7.5m last year. Negotiations were conducted in London but Jackson declined to make any comment until ATV made an official announcement of the sale.

McCartney, who sends his children to state schools on principle and frequently cites the northern work ethic, is still a prolific composer and has ensured better arrangements for his more recent songs. Only four Lennon-McCartney songs are not included in the purchase, Love Me Do, Please Please Me, PS I Love You - and Tell me Why, which probably mirrors McCartney's current thoughts.

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 03:30:19 PM »
that shit is terrible... why would mike want the that? and its fuckin bullshit how its being for sale like that... and question.. if anyone wants to sample beetles they have to ho through mike...

Sikotic™

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 03:36:37 PM »

I hope he does have to sell it, just because of how he fucked McCartney over.

(Sony never fucked over Michael. They just had to make a business decision. Michael was supposively Paul's friend)

Fuck Jackson

LMAO....man, hate on Michael for that all you want, it is just business. Paul Mc Cartney should of never told him shit. You don't let your friends in on your business plans.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 03:44:40 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is just business, and if it were Tommy Mottolla or Don King I wouldn't say shit, but Michael Jackson thinks he's some sort of saint, or at least he pretends to be. Remember the awards show in Europe where he had kids flocking to him like he was Jesus? Well Jesus wouldn't even outbid his worst enemy. lol.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 03:46:06 PM »
that shit is terrible... why would mike want the that? and its fuckin bullshit how its being for sale like that... and question.. if anyone wants to sample beetles they have to ho through mike...

Yeah they would have to go through the company that Jackson owns. that is probably why the Grey Album had to be haulted.

Sikotic™

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 03:52:43 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is just business, and if it were Tommy Mottolla or Don King I wouldn't say shit, but Michael Jackson thinks he's some sort of saint, or at least he pretends to be. Remember the awards show in Europe where he had kids flocking to him like he was Jesus? Well Jesus wouldn't even outbid his worst enemy. lol.

LOL word. He's definitely no angel.

THA SAUCE HOUSE