Author Topic: where does the security break down in music piracy??  (Read 193 times)

P2G

where does the security break down in music piracy??
« on: November 03, 2004, 05:37:22 PM »
i am not sure how it works.. but cds are always getting ripped bout 2 weeks before the release date.. here is actual cd at, 2 weeks from the release? a pressing plant? djs?

how does it always break down, and get leaked atthe same time.. and probably at the same place, cant they just tighten up how cds are handled before distribution? it could definitly slow down online piracy,  im not sayin thats a good thing, but youd think they would have some kind of tracking to see where its always breaking down.

what do u think

i love men who take pictures with their booty's out

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You know you want me.
Re: where does the security break down in music piracy??
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 05:56:42 PM »

shit i would ask those snertni   how they do it     

P2G

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 06:16:51 PM »
snertni?

Jome

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 08:18:24 PM »
They don't have much choice, they would have done something with it if they could.

Basically, the CD must be ready, pressed and shipped, so the master copy is sent to CD fabrics, and perfect copies are sent to other CD fabrics around the world, as well as those responsible for the CD art, though I'm not sure if the CD fabrics do that themselves, they probably do.

Then there's the cover art/credits, legal stuff, etc. which also must be ready weeks before the actual release, so there's 100 different possible places it can be leaked from.. not to mention that they send CD's to journalists, TV, press, etc. for promo & reviews..
They could probably cut down bootlegging some days, but that would mean lost $$$ in promotion and not enough CD's for the global market for the release date..

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 09:39:58 PM »
Most of the bootlegged cd's online come from jounalists who get advance copies of the album to preview. 

Smart people at Smart record companies have found a way already to stop early leaks... for instance, the recent Brian Wilson presents "SMiLE" CD wasn't leaked early because all of the advance copies were digitally watermarked, so if it leaked, they would be able to trace the mp3 back to a certain copy of the album, and hence know who leaked it. 

Of course he probalby only had to send out 100 or so albums.  Eminem is a much bigger name, and probably sends out hundreds of albums for review before the street date, so it would be much harder and more expensive to watermark all of those albums.  I'd still do it, if I had anything to say about it.

Thirteen

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 09:43:32 PM »
this is an easy question

anytime you're a multi million dollar business entrusting your product to people that make minimum wage and probably don't take their job seriously, there's gonna be theft

every company has theft, it just so happens that the music industry's theft is alot more easy and elaborate

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 11:12:29 PM »
^ ... and beneficial to the rest of us  8)

Jome

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 11:36:45 PM »
Smart people at Smart record companies have found a way already to stop early leaks... for instance, the recent Brian Wilson presents "SMiLE" CD wasn't leaked early because all of the advance copies were digitally watermarked, so if it leaked, they would be able to trace the mp3 back to a certain copy of the album, and hence know who leaked it. 

LOL, if anybody had any intentions to remove the watermark and bootleg the album, they would have done so in 5 minutes or less..

i love men who take pictures with their booty's out

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You know you want me.
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 12:06:19 AM »
this is an easy question

anytime you're a multi million dollar business entrusting your product to people that make minimum wage and probably don't take their job seriously, there's gonna be theft

every company has theft, it just so happens that the music industry's theft is alot more easy and elaborate

scream it like u mean it.. not only r they entrusting people who make minimum wage.."snretni "= interns(had a typo in the previous).. they have nuthin to lose..hell they r workin 4 learnin experience and 9 times out of 10 the real people who get paid aint payin these niggas no mind..

except havin  to get food or whatever... i know a nigga who makes a killin at 1 of them southern labels..they put her freedom on the line.. half the time she gotta get weed and everything else.. u thank she dont get her 5finger discount on shit they r finishin up..soon as she get it..she hittin the connection at the flea market up.. the same nigga she goin to get work from.. she givin him work..put whatever she get on the counter 1 of the dudes hold the booth down..they outside gettin bricks loadin the magnum up..she make more money doin what she does on the side than she would workin 4 that label on minimum salary no taxes or shit..i have sit up and watched her do it..

a high percentage of the advances and bootlegg music come from interns

Don Seer

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 12:12:15 AM »
likes been said above.. the major place is the supply chain.. once its been shipped to retail you just have to know someone behind the scenes in the store... i know that our local virgin has some records in up to a couple weeks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 12:18:19 AM by Overseer »

Sikx

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • pulu<3hewi
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 06:01:43 AM »
it really doesnt effect much ex. eminem's album sales cos he is so huge already, imo.