Author Topic: Stopping diseases?  (Read 204 times)

Elevz

Stopping diseases?
« on: November 29, 2004, 11:18:56 PM »
I was watching tv last night and there was a show on with the purpose of collecting money for medicines for HIV infected people and people suffering from aids in Africa. Charity, and we should support that since it's kinda unfair that we over here do get our medicines just because we do have the money for it, while they don't.

Then again, this got me thinking. Has there been a small miscalculation made in the human intelligences? The world 3000 years ago was quite well balanced. Humans didn't have much property and the animals in this world really kept each other in balance. The diseases also played a big part in this, just to make sure everything would stay balanced as it was. But then the humans started their evolution. We first used stones to fight animals. Then we started using spears. Bows and arrows... And then guns. We gained ourselves an unfair advantage. And that's when science started kicking in, and so we got further and further in this, protecting ourselves from the bad bad world outside of us. And then we found ways for protecting ourselves from diseases.

Then again, look at the world as it is now. We're acting as if the whole world and the universe around it, is human property, and it all started with humans just being one step smarter than nature. Maybe we're not because we'll be killing the world this way, but hey. Is this whole evolution wrong, and where did it go wrong? How natural is it that we're trying to protect ourselves from dying? Come to think of it - we're killing rare elephants just to get a little powder from their teeth, for us to create (placebo based?) medicins? Is the life of a healthy rare elephant worth less than the life of a (probably not chronically) diseased human?

Whether you're an atheďst like me or a believer - are humans overly intelligent? Should we even want to protect ourselves from diseases?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 11:22:31 PM by Elevz »

Trauma-san

Re: Stopping diseases?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 11:42:15 PM »
Are you fucking stupid?

Elevz

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 12:11:42 AM »
Yes I am stupid. Besides that, I'm not saying I'm supporting this theory - you should try and get medicines for all, but after all, isn't this just a bit "against nature"?

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 12:22:16 AM »
Before you get ahead of yourself and talk about stopping diseases, tell us how you've managed to completely stop thinking? How are you able to shut off your brain like that?

Elevz

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 12:24:57 AM »
I was just thinking about the world as a whole, not just about human society. Humans seem to have taken over the world and I wonder if that's something to be happy about. Once again, I just posted some thoughts - I'm not saying we should stop supplying medicins or whatever.

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 06:35:27 AM »
Humans aren't powerful enough to destroy the world, it would destroy us before we would destroy it.  Even if you're not a creationist, and believe in the big bang, then you believe that all life on the earth arose from molecules from an explosion.  Don't you believe, then, that a force THAT powerful, would be able to rebuild itself, long after the earth had ceased being able to support us?  Think about it.  The human species would die off without the earth to support it, and then the earth would rebuild itself, just as it did during the big bang.  So what's to worry about?  That knowledge shows that the earth is far more powerful than we are, so why worry about our ability to destroy it?  If you believe in the 'natural' so much, then you should understand by definition it would be impossible for us to destroy what naturally occurs.

If you believe in Creationism, then you should know that humans are superior to all other life forms, and as such we are meant to prosper on the earth, not kill ourselves off... and, you should also know that if we get too far out of hand, there is a day of judgement to stop that. 

Timmeeeehh

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Bloaw.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 08:25:59 AM »
Well I gotta agree wit some points. The human body can't stay up with our evolution. Example: if you're on your bike, you're riding against a wall, you have some serious medical problems. Another example: Your eyes aren't "good" enough to see everything when you're driving your car, we're not adjusted to those speeds yet.

Also you've got things as fucking with plants and genetic things and DNA and shit. Why do we need to know what kind of diseases we're going to get? Do I want to know whether or not I'll get cancer when I'm 50?

The human is every day surrounded with electronics and metal. Is this really good for us?

Aight, you can think right now: "What the fuck man. I am healthy, fuck all that". But are we really happier now? What's the fucking point of this evolution? What's our goal?
Knowledge is cool, I agree, it makes life easier, but till where do we want to go?

I've just "freestyled" these questions, I haven't thought them over and over. But I think it's really important to think about these things and how you're gonna work with your opinions on it in your life.

Tsjaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Timmeeeehh

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Bloaw.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 08:33:38 AM »
Humans aren't powerful enough to destroy the world, it would destroy us before we would destroy it.  Even if you're not a creationist, and believe in the big bang, then you believe that all life on the earth arose from molecules from an explosion.  Don't you believe, then, that a force THAT powerful, would be able to rebuild itself, long after the earth had ceased being able to support us?  Think about it.  The human species would die off without the earth to support it, and then the earth would rebuild itself, just as it did during the big bang.  So what's to worry about?  That knowledge shows that the earth is far more powerful than we are, so why worry about our ability to destroy it?  If you believe in the 'natural' so much, then you should understand by definition it would be impossible for us to destroy what naturally occurs.

If you believe in Creationism, then you should know that humans are superior to all other life forms, and as such we are meant to prosper on the earth, not kill ourselves off... and, you should also know that if we get too far out of hand, there is a day of judgement to stop that. 

I thought the USA had over 3x enough bombs to destroy all humans on the world....
A president was willing to destroy the world (or all humans on it, I've forgot) in order to destroy the communism?
And those threats with believe, and terrorists and all that. There might be one idiot who HAS the atombombs and shit to blow up this planet, and thinking: "It's beter to have no world, and to start it all over. So God (or who else) will be respected."

Okay, you can say: "so what when we start it all over?". I don't know, but I don't want to think about it. And I don't think any living person wants to think of it...

But what is your point?? I mean, I don't believe you won't give a fuck if we would start it all over. I think if you would knew it, you would be ready to offer your life to stop it. So your friends, relatives could live on.

Tsjaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Elevz

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 08:51:32 AM »
I'm not saying we as humans are doing wrong when it comes to medicins (well, maybe we are when it comes to the healthy rare elephant being killed to create placebo medicins). We were born this way, for the struggle to stay alive as long as possible. Thing is we might have been born just slightly too intelligent, so that we could manage to possess the world and control things such as diseases and disasters, which were originally meant to keep the worldpopulation in balance. Look now, how many milliard humans are alive on this world today? At some point we do control life or death, and we can't help it.

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 05:35:10 PM »
Yall are missing my point, though, I think.  You're saying we were born too intelligent, and that's maybe unnatural.

There was a meteor shower or whatever the fuck that killed all the dino's off millenia ago, that's pretty unnatural too.... but yet here is the earth, still here, and we consider what we know of to be natural.  To a dinosaur, though... the earth is very unnatural. 

So what I'm saying is... we don't have much effect on the world, it has an effect on us, it will go on long after we're gone, we can't do 'unnatural' things without it eventually righting itself.

Fathom

• 'G'
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 05:47:13 PM »
You make a very interesting point.  But isn't everything a part of nature.  We didn't gain an unfair advantage, because we are part of nature.  If we developed as we did in the natural world it means that this segment, this point in time we were meant to be where we are.

Trauma-san

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 06:05:03 PM »
^ EGGG A FUCKING ZACTLY. 

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 09:17:33 PM »
since it's kinda unfair that we over here do get our medicines just because we do have the money for it, while they don't.

why is it unfair that we have money for medicine and they dont? if they want money make them earn it or build up their own fuckin economy. i say fuck helpin em with 1 cent.

I need some meaning I can memorize
The kind I have always seems to slip my mind

Elevz

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 10:46:09 PM »
They were born in poor countries so earning $10 there is about as hard as it is for us to earn $5000 and still the medicins cost the same or more. They need to build up a decent economy, that's true, but the problem is the USA, Asia and Europe are already at a huge advantage because of what we already have. They got nothing, they got to build it from the ground up and that'll be a huge problem.

Elevz

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 06:34:42 AM »
You make a very interesting point.  But isn't everything a part of nature.  We didn't gain an unfair advantage, because we are part of nature.  If we developed as we did in the natural world it means that this segment, this point in time we were meant to be where we are.

Everything is part of nature, but somewhere in the past century we managed to stay one step ahead of it, so we're by far not as vulnerable to diseases as we were in the Middle Ages. Maybe we're meant to be where we are now, but I wonder if that's true since I can't really call the world balanced as it is right now, while it always used to be balanced.

8) Oh, stop bragging about that balance.  8)

I just wonder, does the world get better by our science? We still are selfish beings, we'll always put the humans first, like in the example of the placebo medicins.