Author Topic: "SET THE DATE!" Snoop and Dr. Dre Reunited (Blender Magazine)  (Read 891 times)

PLANT

"SET THE DATE!" Snoop and Dr. Dre Reunited (Blender Magazine)
« on: January 09, 2005, 08:32:49 PM »
The greatest rap duo of all time began when Dr. Dre made Snoop a star on 1992's smash The Chronic and produced Snoop's debut, Doggystyle.  But they haven't worked together in years - through no fault of Snoop's.  "I don't know why," Snoop told Blender.  "You have to talk to Dre.  I'd love to be back in the studio with him.  We Don't hate each other, we love each other.

"About a year and a half ago, I said to him 'Lets make a record called Break Up To Make Up, just me and you on the whole album, no guest rappers.'  And he didn't want to do it.  We need hurry up and do it while people are still interested.  I'm with it.  What's up, Dre?  Where you at?"

When Blender reached Dr. Dre, he laughed and replied, "Fuck it.  Let's do it.  Set the date."

Here is the rest of the article...

Hot Dogg
Movie star, Pee Wee Football coach, bigger-than-ever hip-hop icon, Snoop Dogg has left his thugsta days far behind. But, as Blender discoverizzles, you still don’t want to make him angry.

Snoop Dogg is mad. The Rowland Heights Raiders are defending their 7-0 record on a sunny Saturday afternoon in late October, but midway through the game, they’re ahead by only a touchdown. And they’re not really paying attention, which happens sometimes with 10-year-olds.

Standing on the grass of a high-school football field, in a multicultural suburb an hour east of Los Angeles, assistant coach Snoop Dogg is wearing black slippers, a football jersey and a silver hat. Before the game, he roamed the stands, bookended by security guards the size of NFL linebackers, signing autographs and posing for photos. Snoop leaves movie sets to attend football practice, even plans video shoots so they don’t conflict with games, and he insists that these kids show focus and concentration. He wants them to be players, not playas.

At six-foot-four, he’s two heads taller than many of the Raiders as he gives a halftime pep talk. “Y’all not playing right,” he snaps, his usually relaxed voice rising tensely. Challenging them, encouraging them, instructing them, he’s like a hip-hop Vince Lombardi, except that Lombardi probably never ended a halftime address by saying, “Now get yourselves some oranges or something.”

The Raiders are quarterbacked by Snoop’s son, Spanky, who already wears a size-eight shoe: He has braided hair like his dad, is tall like his dad, has long eyelashes like his dad, a calm demeanor like his dad and a huge diamond earring like his dad. In the second half, Spanky leads the Raiders to four touchdowns and the team wins easily. As a surprise, Coach Snoop gives each excited Raider a three-wheel WRFF extreme bicycle. And on the sideline, he leads the team in a victory cheer: “Pimp, pimp, hooray! Pimp, pimp, hooray! Pimp, pimp, hooray!”

In addition to coaching Pee Wee Football, Snoop Dogg, 33, is a rapper, a film actor and the host of a TV show (Doggy Fizzle Televizzle, formerly on MTV) and a home video (Girls Gone Wild: Doggy Style). No matter the setting though, he portrays the same central quality: “laid-back,” as he drawled calmly on “Gin and Juice,” his 1994 hit song. If an icicle could rhyme, it would sound like Snoop. “I’m a cool cat,” Snoop says during the three days Blender spends with him in California and New York, which raises the question: What kind of dogg acts more like a cat?

Where other rappers bark threats, he purrs warnings with a feline dispassion. “1-8-7 on an undercover cop,” he cooed on “Deep Cover,” the Dr. Dre–produced song that began Snoop’s career in 1992 — though he sounded so stoned, the talk of murder seemed more like a hazy daydream. In the blazing, tricky, odd new hit “Drop It Like It’s Hot,” the first single off his album R&G (Rhythm and Gangsta): The Masterpiece, he talks about dodging cops and honoring Crips. Like Ice Cube’s scowl and Eminem’s smirk, Snoop’s shrug is a trademark. But after 13 years, he comes across like an amusing TV character whose wicked past is now just an endearing quirk, not so much a pimp as an imp.

“Everybody likes to get down with Snoop Dogg,” Snoop says about himself. “They like my voice, my tone, my style. I try to give people something to smile about, something to dance to. If it’s TV, records, radio, whatever, it’s always a full-on great time with Snoop Dogg.” If pop music is a sitcom, Snoop is Uncle Gangsta, a charming rogue with a smile on his face and a blunt in his hand.

“That’s the thing about Snoop. He’s not walking around saying he’s a killer,” notes Pharrell Williams of the Neptunes, who produced “Drop It Like It’s Hot.” “He’s trying to have a good time: He smokes his weed, he drinks his wine, he hangs with his chicks, he’s not looking for any trouble. And if it’s gotta happen, it’s gotta happen.”

Snoop Dogg is dead.br> He turned down a role in The Longest Yard, a big-budget Hollywood remake starring Adam Sandler, to be in The Tenants, a low–budget indie about two troubled men (Snoop and Dylan McDermott) in the early 1970s who live in the same tenement and become friends and rivals. The film is shooting in a decrepit warren of rooms at the Ambassador Hotel in L.A., where Robert Kennedy was assassinated, a huge building that’s said to be haunted. A producer on The Tenants swears he saw a ghost crossing the ramshackle lobby.

Two Latino kids are writing graffiti in the hallways to give the set a more authentic tenement look. “What smells bad?” McDermott coughs, an oversized pair of plastic eyeglasses exaggerating his sad eyes. In this morning’s climactic scene, there’s some violence with a hatchet and a .38. “It’s like you’re getting punched in the stomach,” a special-effects guy counsels Snoop between takes. “But with an axe.”

Snoop is covered in blood, motionless on the floor. Is he thinking about death, summoning thespian emotions of fear and dread? No, he’s napping. Call it the cool-as-a-catnap.

His biggest film roles have been in the comedies Starsky & Hutch and Soul Plane, a farce about an all-black airline, which Spike Lee denounced as “coonery and buffoonery.” “When he does Starsky & Hutch or Soul Plane, it’s just Snoop being Snoop,” observes Tenants director Danny Green, a handsome 32-year-old in a leather jacket. In The Tenants, Snoop is disguised by an Afro wig, a goatee and gold teeth. “People are gonna be surprised by what he does in this movie,” McDermott says. “He’s not the pimp in this movie.”

LL Cool J had originally planned to costar with McDermott, who suggested Snoop after LL had to back out. Green agreed to cast Snoop as an ex-convict who’s writing a history of the black power movement. Snoop’s presence onscreen, says Green, “is about menace. His eyes say to you, this is not a guy you want to fuck with. It’s like, he’s charismatic, he’s cool, but if you fuck with him, things could go bad really quickly.” Let’s take this as foreshadowing.

Snoop’s camp says he made Soul Plane mostly as a favor to the director and now wants to establish himself as a more serious actor. “I just didn’t have the roles to show you how real I could get,” Snoop says, sitting in his trailer and holding a twiggy-looking blunt. “I had roles where it seemed like I wasn’t serious, ’cause those roles were so natural. Now I wanna play roles that are unexpected, like Denzel in The Manchurian Candidate, roles they wrote for a white guy.” He pauses. “You got a lighter?”

As a tape of his son’s game plays on the TV, Snoop lights up. He does not pass the blunt, much to the relief of Blender. He’s due back on the set in 15 minutes. Will the director use special effects to hide the red in Snoop’s eyes?

“I don’t want to, man,” Green shrugs later. “If he works better in a certain state, why would I fuck with it?”

During one scene, the two lead characters get high together, and though the actors used herbal cigarettes, McDermott was nervous. “I was concerned that he was gonna break out his stash, because then the day would be shot. I don’t think I can handle his load,” he confesses.

Two years ago, Snoop declared that he’d given up his beloved indo so that he could “better myself” and “see things clearer.” It was as though Pam Anderson had given up cleavage. When Blender asks why he’s smoking again, Snoop gets annoyed. It’s a surprising reaction since he’s written more weed songs than the Grateful Dead and even made a cameo as a pothead in Dave Chappelle’s stoner comedy, Half-Baked.

“I don’t like talking about weed. That shouldn’t be the focus. It’s my choice to stop and go back when I want to. But the issue is, is his music good, is he in some great movies? How you do it, Snoop Dogg? How you stay looking so fly after so many years?”

Maybe it’s the weed that keeps him looking so fly. But behind the red in his eyes, Blender can glimpse the menace Danny Green recognizes. “Just by seeing his face, you know what he’s been through, you know all his personal history,” Green says.

www.blender.com

GangstaBoogy

Re: "SET THE DATE!" Snoop and Dr. Dre Reunited (Blender Magazine)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 08:51:54 PM »
what a bitch. he was mad at Dre for dissin JD and not Suge, but now he beggin Dre to do an album with him.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Sikotic™

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 09:06:22 PM »
He sounds just like Ice Cube when they were gonna do the NWA album. "Ask Dre."

My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Suga Foot

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 09:09:29 PM »
sounds like someones blowin smoke up someones ass

kalliweed

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 09:15:13 PM »
how is snoop dogg a bitch 4 tellin dre like it is?..thats how grown ups should operation..Dre was wrong 4 dat.Niether Eminem nor the whole G unit made a diss track 4 suge but lil man like Jd ya'll wanna fuck with.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 09:33:50 PM »
how is snoop dogg a bitch 4 tellin dre like it is?..thats how grown ups should operation..Dre was wrong 4 dat.Niether Eminem nor the whole G unit made a diss track 4 suge but lil man like Jd ya'll wanna fuck with.

is Suge Knight a rapper? thank you, you're dismissed
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 09:35:52 PM »

and who cares about the JD beef im sure it was fake and it was Squashed a long fucking time ago

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 09:41:37 PM »
Snoop is lost.  Hope this isnt true.  Dre needs to hook back up w/Cube for an album

Sikotic™

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 09:55:18 PM »
Snoop is lost.  Hope this isnt true.  Dre needs to hook back up w/Cube for an album

YES EXACTLY. But he seems tighter with Lil Jon now :'(

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Gambler

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Raw Impact
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2005, 11:39:20 PM »
thanks for posting the article up ...

8)

kalliweed

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 11:46:36 PM »
BaByG was'nt Suge Knight Label "Deathrow"  dissing dre and his whole aftermath crew..stop actin like you dont know what im talkin about and if u wana go further JD is more of a ceo and producer just like dre. "THE TRUTH IS NOT A SIN BUT AN OFFENCE"

Sikotic™

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 11:51:12 PM »
Is ti really Snoops business who Dre beefs with? Snoop was beefin with Xzibit and Dre didnt say a damn thing.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Gambler

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Raw Impact
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 11:53:36 PM »

who cares who they WERE beefin with ... think FUTURE  ;D

Hope to see them working together and soon

8)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2005, 11:56:52 PM »
hope dre brings back snoop

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2005, 12:19:21 AM »
Whats everyone's problem? Some of you people diss Snoop for suckin Neptunes dick and now that he's down to work with Dre you still bitch. Best news in a long time.
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network