Author Topic: 50 Cent - The Massacare [XXL Review]  (Read 400 times)

TuKer Says: Angeles Records is the truth!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
50 Cent - The Massacare [XXL Review]
« on: February 18, 2005, 03:30:43 PM »
50 Cent - The Massacare
Rating: XL

We've seen it happen time and time again. MC So-and-So debuts strongly only to crash and burn with their second LP. It's plagued the likes Jeru the Damaja, Raekwon, and the Pharcyde. Most artists usually blame the failure of their re-up disc on the dreaded sophomore jinx. But for every MC So-and-So, there is an exception. Someone like 50 Cent, a definitive star that makes more hits than excuses. Although his 2003 debut Get Rich or Die Tryin' moved over 10 million units worldwide, the rap behemoth looks to get even richer with The Massacare.

Relying on the same Formula 50 that brought him success in the past, the G-Unit boss packs his latest opus with pistol-packin' bravado and P.I.M.P. talk that, though expected, is strengthed by his name tax bracket. For the most part, the combination works. Take "Position of Power," where Fiddy recaps his meteoric climb to success over JR's criminally hard drums ("Made a hundred mil off music, hundred grand off crack/ Now I'm about to see my ***eler so I can blow off a stack"). The potent percussion play continues on the broke-Mac-sprayin' "Piggybank," where the Queens native fires back at everyone from Shyne to Jadakiss to Fat Joe, who gets hit with "That fat ***** thought 'Lean Back' was 'In Da Club'/ My shit sold 11 mil', his shit was a dud."

But man can't live off beef alone. So instead of taking shots at rapper, Mr. Jackson aims for the female mind and body, providing explicit and specific instructions on how to reach his G-G-G-G spot, on the Scott Storch-produced "A Lil' Bit" and scrumptious first single "Candy Shop." 50 then thaws out his heart on the potetional summer scorcher "So Amazing," which, along with lead single, features G-Unit First Lady Olivia.

As the project continues, pussy, power, pistols, and paper seem to be the dominating themes. But like one of 50's mentors once said: Been there, done that. What fans (or maybe just critics) wanna hear from an artist positioned as the Biggie or Jay-Z of this new generation is growth and evolution--in layman's terms: classic shit. Instead Hi-Tek's sonically charged instrumental for "Get In My Car" gets bogged down with misogynistic ramblings. The same can be said for "Ski Mask Way" and "This Is 50." While the latter's potential is supplied by Sha Money XL's smorgasbord of key flavors, lyrically there's nothing rewind-worthy.

Rather than push the envelope, 50 opts to play it safe. That's sad, considering there are glimpses of a deeper Curtis Jackson lurking beneath the surface. On the Dr. Dre-produced "Talkin' Bout Me," 50 freaks his version of "Stan" by spitting four verses about himself from the perspective of others. Then, on "Baltimore Love Thing," he pens a conceptual tale about a twisted love/hate relantionship with the female personification of herion. And if you need further proof of 50's depth, just check the introspective "God Gave Me Style," where he informs how lonely it is at the top.

Problem is, 50's deeper message is buried under all the bling-bling, bullets, and battling. That's not to say The Massacare isn't a solid collection that ravages the sophomore jinx. It's just that times it feels like 50 Cent got rich and stop trying.

Other album ratings;

Slim Thug - Already Platinum - XL
Layzie and Bizzy Bone - Bone Brothers - M
Cormega - The Testament - XL
Pimp C - Sweet James Jones Stories - M
Big Noyd - On the Grind - M

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: 50 Cent - The Massacare [XXL Review]
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 03:45:41 PM »
wow album prob isnt gonna be like grodt  (no shit) if xxl is makiin it sound like that. considering they are so biased towards shady/aftermath.

BIG.DADDY

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • back da fuck up before you get smacked the fuck up
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 04:01:03 PM »
i gotta here it for myself, they gave kanye west a XXL and i just didnt see it.

Mr. Humonculous

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 04:01:26 PM »
they sounded like they didn't like the album but they still gave it an XL

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 05:37:46 PM »
Sweet..SLimg thug got XL..i want the album damnt
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 06:23:06 PM »
lol this might suck.. they gave it XL because Aftermath has a bonus.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Oranix

• Lil Geezy
  • Asian Invasion
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 09:27:56 PM »
Seems fake...maybe....

isnt the album called THE MASSACRE? not Massacare...

are they that dumb to get the album name wrong? ??? ???

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 10:33:38 PM »
Can't wait for this to drop!

Don Seer

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 12:33:11 AM »
its very suspect.

for one.. pharcydes second album was huge!! .. and often mistaken for their first ;)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 01:28:02 AM »
Seems fake...maybe....

isnt the album called THE MASSACRE? not Massacare...

are they that dumb to get the album name wrong? ??? ???

hey whats up organix! good to see you made your way over!!

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 01:57:23 AM »
they sounded like they didn't like the album but they still gave it an XL

yup
but i dont expect xxl to give any g-unit/shady/aftermath releases anything below an xl
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Timmeeeehh

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Bloaw.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 02:53:03 AM »
Makes me curious to the album  ;D

Tsjaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Dip Set Movementarian 4 Life

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005, 05:20:39 AM »

Other album ratings;

Ewwww... they only gave Big Noyd a M and Slim Thug a XL....Thoughts Noyds album is way more fiiiire than Slim Thugs....

Elevz

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2005, 05:30:10 AM »

Other album ratings;

Ewwww... they only gave Big Noyd a M and Slim Thug a XL....Thoughts Noyds album is way more fiiiire than Slim Thugs....

Big Noyd's is straight fucking fire! XL at least to me... I guess XXL are rating their albums for the average hiphop listener these days? It might not be such a big commercial succes as 50's new joint but damn, M is a fucking harsh rating for an album which is straight fire.

Good to see 50 scores XL though, should be well worth the money.

wilz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2005, 06:03:32 AM »
I know why it gpt XL. if you remember a while back 50 started on the massacre some time last year but scrapped teh whole thing cos it sucked, am wonderin if XXL are comparing the two? maybe XXL got a sneak peak at the original and agreed it sucked. just a theory

[img]