Author Topic: no blacks on Michael Jackson trial  (Read 273 times)

Drudge

• Muthafuckin' OG
no blacks on Michael Jackson trial
« on: February 23, 2005, 02:52:26 PM »

Not that I believe whites are out to get Michael, but, this could spell his doom. However, some of Michaels die hard fans are white.

Jury selected to try Michael Jackson

2 hours, 31 minutes ago

SANTA MARIA, United States (AFP) - The final jury was selected in Michael Jackson's child molestation trial, leaving the pop superstar's fate in the hands of four men and eight women.

AFP Photo

AFP 
 Slideshow: Michael Jackson

The 12-member panel ranged in age from a 20-year-old man to a 79-year-old widow.

There were no African Americans. The jury was described as being formed by eight non-Hispanic whites, three Hispanics and one Asian.

The selection process, which had twice been disrupted by week-long suspensions, wrapped up far quicker than expected, with Judge Rodney Melville clearly keen to see the case make some headway.

Once the jury was sworn in, attorneys moved on to selecting the eight alternate jurors who will act as replacements if required.

With the jury seated, the focus will switch to dozens of pending motions that the judge will have to deal with before the two sides can begin the trial proper with opening arguments and witness testimony.

Jackson, 46, is charged with molesting a then 13-year-old boy at his Neverland Ranch, near here, in February and March of 2003. He has denied the charges.

With a lengthy and star-studded witness list that includes the likes of Smokey Robinson, Eddie Murphy, Elizabeth Taylor and Stevie Wonder, the small court house in Santa Maria, California looks set to take on the trappings of a red-carpeted movie premier venue.

During questioning on Wednesday morning, an African-American woman, holding one of the alternate spots, said she doubted Jackson would ever be given a fair hearing.

"How can he get a fair trial anywhere when even the ex-sherrif of Santa Barbara county gets on TV and tells the world he is a child molester?" said the woman, a former corrections officer.

"A jury of your peers? How is this man going to get it here?" she said.

Tuesday, the only black potential jury member had been bounced by a peremptory challenge from the prosecution, despite an objection by Jackson's lead lawyer, Thomas Mesereau.

Jackson, 46, listened attentively throughout the morning's proceedings and offered a wry smile when one prospective juror, a retired ex-military man, commented on the singer's career: "I'm not so much into his music but I sure like his moves."

Selecting an impartial jury had been expected to take several weeks, given the stellar celebrity of the defendant, the nature of the charges he faces and the blanket media coverage accorded the trial.

The process was disrupted twice, first for a death in Mesereau's family and again, last week, to allow Jackson to recover from a highly-publicised bout of flu.

Among the motions pending before Melville is one calling for the litigation history of Jackson's accusers to be brought into evidence.

Jackson's legal team is seeking to portray the family of his now 15-year-old accuser as "professional plaintiffs" who made a living from making "outrageous" charges in fraudulent lawsuits.

They specifically want the judge's permission to tell the jury about a 1999 suit against a US department store that included a sex assault allegation and resulted in a 150,000-dollar settlement.

Since the mayhem that surrounded Jackson's arraignment and first trial appearance, the daily scene outside the courthouse in Santa Maria has calmed considerably.

Slightly more than a dozen Jackson fans were on hand to chant messages of support for their idol as he entered the court on Wednesday, compared to several hundred who turned out when the trial opened on January 31.

music is like magic

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: no blacks on Michael Jackson trial
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 02:55:23 PM »
the chomo is guilty >:(

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 11:29:33 PM »
In reality, though.... there aren't many blacks that live in that county.  It was funny when they were talking about who was dismissed... either side could dismiss a certain number of jurors for no reason... just say they didn't like them and move on.  So they would dismiss some, and not say why, but it was obvious.

For instance, the prosecution dismissed a guy who was a musician.  They obviously felt he would be sympathetic to Michael.  The defense dismissed a woman who's mother works in the D.A.'s office, etc. 

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 12:39:00 AM »
so what? michael jackson hasnt been black since the early 80's
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 12:24:13 PM »
damn, looks like micheals fucked befo shit even starts.....nah hopefully his innocent and if he is, thats what the outcome wil be.

but if he is guilty, than as big a fan of his music i am, then he gotta go.

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 12:55:57 PM »
its a jury of his peers and mike isnt black so his peers arent either

dexter

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 12:56:24 PM »
Tru^^

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 03:34:39 PM »
my law teacher was saying how stumped he was, cause like, suposebly , 2 of the jury people were raped, and some african black man in my class said that "the black comunity doesnt like mike", wich i think is kidna false, but mike got $, and he got pros doing the jury selection, so i think if hes inocent, he will be pproven it

B-Blaze

• 'G'
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 08:35:15 PM »
People from the East love michael more than anyone in the world....thas where he does ALL of his touring i can't even remember the last time he did a show in the states except for that one special he had on TV thas what he needs Asians and middle eastern people.

They love dude to Death....

madsamoan

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 09:26:38 AM »
so what? michael jackson hasnt been black since the early 80's

That's true. So i'm guessing he's going to get acquitted. Ahh-heeee-heeeeeee!! Sha-mon!

Sikotic™

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 11:19:28 AM »
Things keep looking worse and worse for him. I think it's a toss up.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 11:21:39 AM »
Thats good cause if he is found guilty, he has a good marit to appeal on.