Author Topic: WHAT DOESN'T MAKE RAPPERS FALL OFF  (Read 494 times)

C-Swift

WHAT DOESN'T MAKE RAPPERS FALL OFF
« on: March 09, 2005, 01:45:27 PM »
Consistency
Originality
Experimentation

Leggy Hendrix

Re: WHAT DOESN'T MAKE RAPPERS FALL OFF
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 01:52:46 PM »
Integrity

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

The New Pollution

• Lil Geezy
  • > You
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 01:53:34 PM »
Experimentation

Experimentation my ass. No one in hip-hop experiments anymore. Most of you people have no idea what the definition of experimental music is.

What doesn't make him suck? Trying to do something that he can't and stick to it. Xzibit tried the mainstream west coast gangster stuff, and he started to suck. Talib Kweli tried to make radio friendly music, and it started to suck.

Same with other genres of music. Nirvana tried to make a Pixies record, and ended up making the worst album of their career (Nevermind). Metallica were good. Then suddenly, they released something like the Black Album (shit album) and they were terrible.

If you're good at one thing, do one thing only. If you're good at more, then please do more. (Like Madlib, or in rock music, Radiohead).

Wessia4LiaNia Chieee Chieee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'M Mo' Than a God I'M a Warrior
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 10:30:09 AM »
HONOR --they lost that REALLY
Lyrical Swords 4 Lia

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 11:25:48 AM »
Experimentation

Experimentation my ass. No one in hip-hop experiments anymore. Most of you people have no idea what the definition of experimental music is.

What doesn't make him suck? Trying to do something that he can't and stick to it. Xzibit tried the mainstream west coast gangster stuff, and he started to suck. Talib Kweli tried to make radio friendly music, and it started to suck.

Same with other genres of music. Nirvana tried to make a Pixies record, and ended up making the worst album of their career (Nevermind). Metallica were good. Then suddenly, they released something like the Black Album (shit album) and they were terrible.

If you're good at one thing, do one thing only. If you're good at more, then please do more. (Like Madlib, or in rock music, Radiohead).

you´re good at simplifying drastically...You cannot predict exactly how good you´re gonna be at doing something. The main point in making an experimental record actually is that you do not now how it´s gonna turn out to be. An experimental record that has been done by somebody who knew what he was doing or going to do very well is a fucking paradox

Also, i would like to know what is so bad about Nevermind. Just cause Cobain admitted the Pixies were a source of inspiration for "Smells Like Teen Spirit", it doesn´t mean they "tried to make a Pixies record" and neither does it actually sound like one. So tell me about why this is such a terribly bad record (and please don´t base your opinion on the cliché of the-more-polished-the-worse, i can understand why people prefer "Bleach" for that reason, but then stick to calling it personal taste)...peace
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 12:38:18 PM by Kill »

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 12:36:02 PM »
Nirvana tried to make a Pixies record, and ended up making the worst album of their career (Nevermind). Metallica were good. Then suddenly, they released something like the Black Album (shit album) and they were terrible.
lol you gotta be the dumbest person ive ever met.

Your trying to tell me that Nirvanas worst album was nevermind, and metallicas worst album was the black album?

Those were their greatest albums.

-Euthanasia-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 12:47:39 PM »
WHAT DOESN'T MAKE A SENTENCE SOUND ANTI-AWKWARD

The New Pollution

• Lil Geezy
  • > You
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 02:53:22 PM »
Experimentation

you´re good at simplifying drastically...You cannot predict exactly how good you´re gonna be at doing something. The main point in making an experimental record actually is that you do not now how it´s gonna turn out to be. An experimental record that has been done by somebody who knew what he was doing or going to do very well is a fucking paradox

Also, i would like to know what is so bad about Nevermind. Just cause Cobain admitted the Pixies were a source of inspiration for "Smells Like Teen Spirit", it doesn´t mean they "tried to make a Pixies record" and neither does it actually sound like one. So tell me about why this is such a terribly bad record (and please don´t base your opinion on the cliché of the-more-polished-the-worse, i can understand why people prefer "Bleach" for that reason, but then stick to calling it personal taste)...peace

Experimental music is something no one has done before and something you wouldn't know how it would sound like after it's been done - people claim Kid A by Radiohead is experimental, but it's basically an Aphex Twin and Autechre rip-off. Talib Kweli didn't experiment, did he? Or did Xzibit for suddenly making Gangster Rap? Karlheinz Stockhausen, Cabaret Voltaire, Faust, Sun Ra, Paul Lansky, DJ Shadow, My Bloody Valentine, Sonic Youth, they all did stuff NO ONE did before. Thus, making it experimental. There's a difference between experimental and unique/creative.

I heard my share of experimental music.

About Nirvana.
It is partially - if not, the main - reason the production that made the album so bad. It doesn't suck, but it's so powerless. Besides, it's pretty bland. In Utero is without a fucking doubt 10 times the record Nevermind is. Oh and another thing, the Pixies were a source of inspiration for the whole record. Clean power punk with catchy hooks, power chords, bass lines that follow the guitar, etc. It's all Pixies. Their early stuff was Black Flag, Melvins, Black Sabbath, Beatles and Minor Threat (well, on Incesticide) influenced. Later on, Nirvana devolepped into a rather unique band.

Nirvana tried to make a Pixies record, and ended up making the worst album of their career (Nevermind). Metallica were good. Then suddenly, they released something like the Black Album (shit album) and they were terrible.
lol you gotta be the dumbest person ive ever met.

Your trying to tell me that Nirvanas worst album was nevermind, and metallicas worst album was the black album?

Those were their greatest albums.

Yes, because Rolling Stone magazine and MTV tells you to. The Black Album is the first album by Metallica that sucked, and a lot followed. Of course, someone who has no ear for metal whatsoever knows it better than I do - eventhough 2/5 of my band consists of metal heads, oh and guess what? I'm in a punk and metal hybrid band - and I'm wrong for noticing that Metallica progressed up untill ....And Justice For All (their songs got more structured with every release, yet kept it very "street"), suddenly, they had this overproduced pop record - yes, pop - produced by the same guy that produced Aerosmith. For Christ's sake, a guy like that working with a thrash metal band? Give me a fucking break. They became the prototype of shit bands like Korn. The Black Album is the "classic" the mainstream media tells you to like.

Nevermind is produced like a fucking Blink-182 record. It's so fucking clean, it took all of the power from the songs. If you are going to make distorted rock, don't fucking clean the distortion. Bleach however, was a great album. It had the feedback, the lo-fi sound - which Nirvana needed - and the Melvins influence which made Seattle rock so great (Green River, Soundgarden, Bikini Kill, etc). In Utero's their best work, though - and any real Nirvana fan that got passed his/her "omfgz li3k k3rt c0bane waz my id0l" phase would tell you that In Utero is their best. Nothing on Nevermind could possibly compare to songs like Radio Friendly Unit Shifter, Heart Shaped Box or Scentless Apprentice.

And if I'm the first person to tell you this, everyone you know has a shit taste in rock music.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 04:27:58 PM by The New Pollution »

music is like magic

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 03:15:40 PM »
witha reply that  fucking long i think yo might be in relations to kmk. but i agree with rampant those albums where fucking sick. and to answer the question , they are in love withthe benifets of being a rapper not the art of spitting. look at fiddy, jay-z cah money, snoop dogg, etc. damn

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 04:09:09 PM »
Consistency
Originality
Experimentation

I assume when you say "fall off" you mean skill wise.  Because 50 Cent has the best selling album of the year right now, and his skills have fallen off.

Anyway..

What makes a rapper keep his skills is if he stays hungry.  Eminem for example, he had a 2nd and 3rd album that was better than his first.  Why is this?  This is because after his first album he stayed on the road, he never had anytime to get comfortable, he stayed on the road, and kept struggling to earn more support.  He had a lot of songs biult up, and then came home at the end of his tour and knocked out the rest of the album with about 7 Dr. Dre produced tracks.  Then, after the success of that album, Eminem was a public figure, his name was getting hated on in the media, 9-11 happened, so he had alot of material for a 3rd album still left in his repertoire.  Then the movie gave him inspiration for a couple more classic songs, "8 Mile Road" and "Lose Yourself".  Now he's had time to relax and contemplate his success.  His no longer hungry, his rhymes are weak now, and he lacks subject matter that relates to his fans.

2pac is another rapper who had a 2nd and 3rd, and even a 4th and 5th album that were better than his first.  Same reason, he never sat back, relaxed, and got comfortable, he stayed on the grind, and stayed hungry.  He said he used to get a kick out of the fact that in the daytime he was making movies with Janet Jackson and at nightime he was partying with the same homies from the hood that he'd always partied with, at the same spot, he never left his people, or forgot about his people, he stayed the same.  Infact, he even spent about a year in prison while his album was #1, and that experience made it even easier for him to relate to his people and come up with fresh material for another album.

So that's how rappers stay on top.  They stay hungry.  They don't get comfortable.

..... Also, experimentation can work as well, look at groups like Outkast, their sound is still fresh even after all these years.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 04:12:17 PM by Safar, 1426 Years After Hijrah »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The New Pollution

• Lil Geezy
  • > You
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 04:26:07 PM »
..... Also, experimentation can work as well, look at groups like Outkast, their sound is still fresh even after all these years.

Uhm, there is nothing experimental about Outkast.

Sikotic™

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 05:43:35 PM »
Staying broke
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 06:37:06 PM »

Then how do you explain the fact that they have a new sound and new subject matter with every album?

Southernplayisticadallacmusic-   Their first album they were a couple of young kids, bragging about being playa's and thuggin, they had tracks like "Players Ball" and "Call of Da Wild", granted, it was still very intelligence, but it was more high energy and rebellious then anything.  Organized Noise produced tracks that sounded a little West Coast.

Atliens-   The next album was space aged.  Andre 3000 stared experimenting with his image and his persona, he was rockin Islamic turbans, women in "aTliens" even had viels on, and in a couple of their video's they were traveling through Pyramids.  This time organized noise slowed the beats down, and they became took on a persona of hip-hop philosophers.

Aquemini-  This album was more funk, Andre started dressing crazy, even dressin drag, the sound changed more then the message did, but they still showed progression, it earned 5 mics

Stankonia-  Outkast really took off as producers on this album.  They had their own sound, they no longer needed Organized Noise.  Andre was going through a divorce, and he was questioning everything about himself and about his life, Big Boi went back to being a gansta.  And they even experienced with Techno sounds (Bombs Over Bagdad was a huge success) and voice changes on the album. 

Speaker Box/Love Below-  Andre totally went all the way out to left field, started thinking he was Jimmy Hendrix or Lenny Kravitz or something, left hip-hop all together and made a rock record, and Big Boi had an all new sound as well, they didn't even come together much for this one, so they had to do two seperate cd's.

....... How in the world is that not classified as experimenting?  State your case!
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 08:40:09 PM »

Then how do you explain the fact that they have a new sound and new subject matter with every album?

Southernplayisticadallacmusic-   Their first album they were a couple of young kids, bragging about being playa's and thuggin, they had tracks like "Players Ball" and "Call of Da Wild", granted, it was still very intelligence, but it was more high energy and rebellious then anything.  Organized Noise produced tracks that sounded a little West Coast.

Atliens-   The next album was space aged.  Andre 3000 stared experimenting with his image and his persona, he was rockin Islamic turbans, women in "aTliens" even had viels on, and in a couple of their video's they were traveling through Pyramids.  This time organized noise slowed the beats down, and they became took on a persona of hip-hop philosophers.

Aquemini-  This album was more funk, Andre started dressing crazy, even dressin drag, the sound changed more then the message did, but they still showed progression, it earned 5 mics

Stankonia-  Outkast really took off as producers on this album.  They had their own sound, they no longer needed Organized Noise.  Andre was going through a divorce, and he was questioning everything about himself and about his life, Big Boi went back to being a gansta.  And they even experienced with Techno sounds (Bombs Over Bagdad was a huge success) and voice changes on the album. 

Speaker Box/Love Below-  Andre totally went all the way out to left field, started thinking he was Jimmy Hendrix or Lenny Kravitz or something, left hip-hop all together and made a rock record, and Big Boi had an all new sound as well, they didn't even come together much for this one, so they had to do two seperate cd's.

....... How in the world is that not classified as experimenting?  State your case!

I agree....If anyone in hip-hop has experimented, it is Outkast.  And look how long they have been around and STILL selling albums!

RuffRyder189

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 10:14:12 PM »
staying true to who you are.