Author Topic: Suge ordered to pay 107 million.....  (Read 527 times)

ABN

Suge ordered to pay 107 million.....
« on: March 30, 2005, 11:09:53 AM »
Marion "Suge" Knight has just been ordered to pay $107 million to a woman who helped him start Death Row Records and was owed profits after being forced out of the label.

After four years of legal battle, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Ronald M. Sohigian ordered Knight, Death Row Records and Tha Row Inc. to pay Lydia Harris $45 million in economic damages, $2 million in non-economic damages and $60 million in punitive damages.

The verdict was reached after Sohigian discovered that Suge and his legal team violated court rules that ordered them to answer questions and submit information to the opposing counsel during the discovery process. The suit was filed in 2002, but never reached trial.

In her suit, Harris said that she and Suge became equal founding partners of Death Row in 1989 and that the mogul forced her out of the venture when he realized the label's profitable potential. Harris also accused Knight of defaming her in an attempt to tarnish her credibility in the music industry and with new artists.

"His conduct made it clear that he did not intend to honor his agreement or pay the shares of profit due her," Harris' attorney, David Casselman, said. "He also publicly insulted her and falsely accused her of promiscuity and incompetence."

Harris was Vice President of Death Row when the imprint was launched, but was later dismissed without knowing. Casselman said he plans to collect Harris' judgment by freezing Knight's assets. Suge's lawyer refused to comment yesterday and the infamous boss denied the accusations in court papers.

This settlement doesn't mark Knight's first major civil judgment. In 2003, he was ordered to pay $5.5 million to artist managers who claimed that Suge stole one of their acts. He's also been locked up three times in eight years on assault-related charges.

Michael "Harrio" Harris, Harris' husband, told The Los Angeles Times in 1997 that he had invested $1.5 million in 1991 for a half stake in an entertainment company dubbed GF Entertainment that would feature a division called Death Row. Suge denied Harris' claim. At the time, Harrio had already served 10 years of a 28-year sentence for selling crack cocaine and attempted murder, but asserted that he and his spouse negotiated contracts with major labels while he was incarcerated. He was sent to state prison in 1987. According to Casselman, Knight denied knowing Lydia Harris in the case's initial deposition. He later admitted to knowing her.

wc-reppin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: Suge ordered to pay 107 million.....
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 11:21:19 AM »
Shit does he even have this....I know I saw an article in LA times awhile back that the building was taken over for tax reasons...

Ratchet

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 11:47:46 AM »
NOW THATS FUNNY!!!!
HAHAHA FAT FUCKER...CARMA FOR PAC PUSSY!

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 12:22:58 PM »
I dont think suge even has that kind of money ???107 million.... thats a lot of fucking money....

Chad

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 01:16:22 PM »
he's got it...somehwere
Resume: BBC / HipHopDX / TMZ / Billboard / XXL / LA Weekly / AFH // Ice Cube. MC Ren . Sir Jinx . DOC . Too Short . Fredwreck . DJ Jazzy Jeff

www.chadkiser.com
Twitter:  @chadmkiser
IG:  chadmkiser

We Fly High

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 01:16:39 PM »
kurupt now realizes that he made the worst move of his career.

kellyboy

• 'G'
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 01:21:02 PM »
lol damn...i bet the court battle would last a lil longer and simon will counter it somehow (eg. crooked i's legal shit)...

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 01:29:33 PM »
I remember watching a Death Row documentary a few years ago that explained in detail this whole situation with Harry "O".  Apparantly it's all true.  He put up the seed money to start the company.  Although, I don't see how that entitles him to 105 million.   
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 01:40:03 PM »
Suge about to release 7 new Pac albums to pay that
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 01:43:36 PM »
I remember watching a Death Row documentary a few years ago that explained in detail this whole situation with Harry "O".  Apparantly it's all true.  He put up the seed money to start the company.  Although, I don't see how that entitles him to 105 million.   

I saw that same documentary. If you recall, there were hundreds of millions of dollars that were made during the death row era, most of which went to Interscope but Suge pocked over a hundred mil easily. If there is documentation showing Harry O as an owner or partner of death row and if he did not get his share of the profits, then he's entitled to a hefty sum of cash. I wouldn't be surprised if it would reach the 9 figure range. The only issue that's really important is whether or not he will actually see any of that cash since Death Row and Suge are pretty much broke.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

MOB

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 01:44:44 PM »
what about interscope?

italianguy

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 02:16:57 PM »
probably this is the end of death row records and the return of kurupt with the dogg pound.... it's not so sad. We don't have to hear bullshit from suge  anymore

Ozir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside!
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 02:30:56 PM »
If he doesn't have the 100 mil they'll start to go after the catalogue.  If that happens it will truly be the end of Suge and Death Row Records.

Can you imagine the boss move of all moves?... Dre buying back the Death Row catalogue for cheap so Suge can pay his fines.

MOB

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 02:32:14 PM »
why would suge sell his catalogue to dre?

acbaylove

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 02:50:49 PM »
kurupt now realizes that he made the worst move of his career.

Well actually i think he's still technically on Antra Records, lol.