Author Topic: One Of My Reviews Got Featured On AllHipHop...Please Check It Out  (Read 81 times)

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
Okay, some of you guys may or may not know that I wrote the article on ''The Game'' that was put up on DubCNN a while ago. I also did an article on Daz long before that (also for the site) which wasn't half as good IMO (I was, and still am, honing my craft). Well, first of all I'd like to say thanks to 'Seer, Nima, Rud, etc. for letting me do those pieces in the first place, as it was those that got me to seriously consider journalism as a profession. I really look at those as my break, and I would love to continue to contribute to the site whenever I can. Since then, I've been trying to get my name out there to other avenues and create some more experience for myself by writing to the likes of ''XXL'', ''The Ave'', and so on. When the opportunity arose to review some material for ''AllHipHop'', I jumped at the chance.

Well anyway, I wrote a review on Planet Asia's ''Jewelry Box Sessions'' mixtape which is now up on the site. I would love it if some of the forum members could give it a read and tell me what you think. Good, bad, indifferent...I would enjoy hearing some honest feedback on the writing. My hope is that at some point I can graduate to the ranks of ''XXL'', or just hip-hop mags in general...but one step at a time, I guess.

http://www.allhiphop.com/reviews/?ID=556

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and critique the review. Its much appreciated, and if you liked it please take the time to read ''The Game'' article that I did. Like I said earlier, hopefully I'll be doing more for DubCNN soon, plus I believe that I'll be doing more reviews for both ''AllHipHop'' and ''WCRydaz'' in the future so keep an eye out for my work!

"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

We Fly High

Re: One Of My Reviews Got Featured On AllHipHop...Please Check It Out
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 02:05:39 PM »
just read. good shit though. could definitely use more reviews from you. where you from?

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 02:09:05 PM »
good review, kept my attention the whole way through.  props man
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 02:12:04 PM »
justin...I'm from the UK, Scotland to be exact - so the internet is my main communications tool for doing this stuff. Right now, since I'm still in education, writing is sort of a ''serious hobby''. Once I've left school I'm taking a year out (deferred my university entry until '06) to continue working and building up my finances, whilst putting together some more pieces I've written to submit to some different outlets. I would love to go to New York eventually since a lot of the writers I've been in contact with (as well as ''XXL'') are based there.

Thanks for the feedback from you both. Props.

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

We Fly High

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 02:21:32 PM »
so youre contributing stuff to XXL soon?

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 02:29:12 PM »
Nah...I dunno about that. Aqua Boogie, the music editor for ''AllHipHop'' who has basically overseen my reviews and given me feedback on them, is a frequent contributer to ''XXL'' (did the article on MC Eiht in the ''West Coast Resurrection'' issue) as are some of the other reviewers like Matt Barone so, like I said...maybe one day. I have already written to them (''XXL'' offices) with some suggestions and examples of my work. That was about a month ago and it states on their site that they take 6-8 weeks to review submissions - and I think that's domestically so it could be longer in my case. We'll see what happens.

Realistically though, I don't think they will be interested until I continue to build up my work to a substantial level - DubCNN and AllHipHop are the only published pieces I have at this moment and if you look at the likes of the afore-mentioned journalist they have done so much work for different places. So, at the moment, any avenue that's open to publishing my work, I'm willing to talk with.  Just have to be persistent...