Author Topic: Crash is the movie of the year  (Read 505 times)

Sikotic™

Re: Crash is the movie of the year
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2005, 12:48:51 AM »
Definitely the best movie of the year. I haven;t seen a movie that good come out in a long time.

Cinderella Man is good, but it doesn't compare to Crash.

You've already seen Cinderella Man? If so you're saying Crash is in a higher league altother?

Yeah, Cinderella Man is just another boxing story, nothing wrong with that because I love boxing, but it's been recycled before.

Crash has more originality and a better plot.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2005, 07:01:46 AM »
^ EXACTLY

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2005, 09:03:06 AM »
Definitely the best movie of the year. I haven;t seen a movie that good come out in a long time.

You've already seen Cinderella Man? If so you're saying Crash is in a higher league altother?

Yeah, Cinderella Man is just another boxing story, nothing wrong with that because I love boxing, but it's been recycled before.

But higher league? That's a bold statement. When a movie is just so good I can't see any movie being in a higher league. Take Shawshank Redemption or Million Dollar Baby. THey're may be better movies, but I could never say any movie is in a higher leaue than those two. You know what I mean?

Personally I'll take traditional greatness over different and very good. When a "different" movie comes out it doesn't have to be as good to get the fans behind it because they've never seen it before. Kind of like Nas's Rewind. It was cool to hear the story backwards, but that doesn't make the story any better than okay at best, and the rapping was just average. However because it was "different" it got a lot more praise in other areas where it shouldn't. I have yet to see Crash so I won't comment on it, but Kill Bill is a movie I absolutely hate. It may not be a bad movie but thanks to all the hype and praise I find it repulsive. The first one is just a big fight scene, with a few cliche moments that reviewers made sound brilliant, and a whole lot of homage to tacky western and martial arts films of yester year. When someone told me he was mad it wasn't movie of the year I almost slapped him. I'll watch Crash and tell you what I think, but to be in a better league than Cinderella Man? I'm not holding my breath. Of course it's okay if you think so.

P.S. it's not a boxing movie. It's a movie about people. A man striving to succeed, and either winning or losing. That's what all great movies are about; people. Everything else in them is just a technicality.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2005, 09:12:13 AM »
^ you are absolutely right, but its just , oh man, like for 1, crash carries such a strong message, its so well made, also  acting and actors are greatm the plot is just so well thought out, it had humor in it and then such sad parts, i was blown away...

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2005, 09:21:19 AM »
^ you are absolutely right, but its just , oh man, like for 1, crash carries such a strong message, its so well made, also  acting and actors are greatm the plot is just so well thought out, it had humor in it and then such sad parts, i was blown away...

Well then. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing it. I just don't expect a higher league than Cinderella Man because there is no such league in my opinion, but if it's in the same league I'll have a great time watching it.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2005, 10:41:11 AM »
but Kill Bill is a movie I absolutely hate. It may not be a bad movie but thanks to all the hype and praise I find it repulsive. The first one is just a big fight scene, with a few cliche moments that reviewers made sound brilliant, and a whole lot of homage to tacky western and martial arts films of yester year.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is not a tacky western, neither is the rest of the trilogy.  Once Upon a time in the west is not tacky either.  You are ragging on Kill Bill for its cliche moments yet praise a movie like Million Dollar Baby? Cinderella Man(i havent seen it but the way you described the whole movie is a cliche-"It's a movie about people. A man striving to succeed, and either winning or losing")?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2005, 01:31:49 PM »
but Kill Bill is a movie I absolutely hate. It may not be a bad movie but thanks to all the hype and praise I find it repulsive. The first one is just a big fight scene, with a few cliche moments that reviewers made sound brilliant, and a whole lot of homage to tacky western and martial arts films of yester year.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is not a tacky western, neither is the rest of the trilogy.  Once Upon a time in the west is not tacky either.  You are ragging on Kill Bill for its cliche moments yet praise a movie like Million Dollar Baby? Cinderella Man(i havent seen it but the way you described the whole movie is a cliche-"It's a movie about people. A man striving to succeed, and either winning or losing")?

I wasn't referring to Good The Bad and The Ugly as tacky or cliche. I was talking about a lot of the other Spaghetti Westerns and a lot of the Martial Arts films from overseas (there are a lot of good ones, but htere are a whole lot of bad ones). As for the cliches. I remember one review adding all this depth to it; "When the Bride, ready to pounce, visits Vernita at home, a school bus pulls up carrying Vernita's young daughter. The Bride sees that her actions will have consequences, and we see it, too. It's these consequences that give the film dramatic weight and make it more than a Tarantino masturbatory fantasy or chop-socky's greatest hits." That scene where the killer feels remorse because the traget has a child has been done so many times it really gets old fast. To mention it in a review as a reason why this is more than a bang bang slice boom flick just doesn't sit right with me.

As for your claim that movie about people is a cliche; I disagree. It's not cliche it's reality. That's what life is about; people and their journeys; emotional as well as physical. I have never seen the type of ending in Million Dollar Baby, and I know no one has seen it too many times. No way is it a cliche. Baby was done so well it really captured reality and brought to the big screen. It made you feel real emtions, deep emotions. I watch Kill Bill and I say "cool". I watch Baby and I say "beatiful". Tarantino has never and I predict will never evoke that kind of feeling with his movies. It's nicely done but it doesn't have that real essense to it.

Cinderella Man is a real life story brought to the screen by Ron Howard, there is nothing drastic he coud have done to change it with ouit ruining what really happened. You can't call real life a cliche. It's more than a movie about a boxer who comes back and wins, it's about a man struggling with his family and succeeding. It's done perfectly. Not so much different than Raging Bull, which also wasn't a boxing movie. This isn't Rocky 4.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2005, 02:19:58 PM »
Whats similiar about Raging Bull and Cinderella Man?  Raging Bull is about guilt, redemption, and punishment.  None of these themes seem to come out at me when i think of Cinderella man. 

The only reason I brought up those films from spaghetti westerns is that those were Tarantinos main influence for Kill BIll's style. 

The journey of MDB is cliche, the plot twist is unexpected but the restof the film has cliche all over. Regardless, it was still an amazingfilm and deserving of the best picture award.  It could have gone to the Aviator but the lenght of the film ruined it.

Maybe its me but i prefer endings that dont tell you "look, heres the ending now clap"

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2005, 06:40:12 AM »
Whats similiar about Raging Bull and Cinderella Man?  Raging Bull is about guilt, redemption, and punishment.  None of these themes seem to come out at me when i think of Cinderella man. 

The only reason I brought up those films from spaghetti westerns is that those were Tarantinos main influence for Kill BIll's style. 

The journey of MDB is cliche, the plot twist is unexpected but the restof the film has cliche all over. Regardless, it was still an amazingfilm and deserving of the best picture award.  It could have gone to the Aviator but the lenght of the film ruined it.

Maybe its me but i prefer endings that dont tell you "look, heres the ending now clap"

I didn't mean they were similar in story. I meant they were similar in the sense that they aren't "boxing" movies. They're both about people. If you really want to think about it, no stroy is completely originally and has been a lot of times over again so everyhting can be cliche. The difference some are dome well and some aren't. I didn't give a shit about the revenge story Kill Bill, but the father figure/daughter relationship in Baby really moved me. Swank trying to gain Clint's acceptance in the beginning and how dedicated she was made it so much more than the Karate Kid, and all the other movies where the reluctant trainer takes on the cocky kid with all heart but little skill. Baby was so much more than a man training a girl to become a fighter. Kill Bill was little more than a revenge story with a lot of fightng. Every plot has been done over and over a gain in some dgree, but everything person is different, so when a movie focuses on the people more than the plot it becomes a great piece of cinema.

Doggystylin

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 12:15:36 AM »
Just saw Crash and I gotta say WOW, I mean I already had high expectations because everyone said it was amazing etc etc, but wow it really did live up to my expectations and that NEVER happens. Amazing story, great editing, great acting, great sound, great dialog. Plus it was a movie about L.A. and that makes it a huge plus,lol but regardless it was a very well made film. It really made you understand each character's (races) situations and it really took you through their world and struggles, I mean you might not agree with some of the things they do but atleast you can see where their coming from.

I am gonna be forcing some people to watch this movie. Oh yeah plus it was cool bein persian and understanding what they were saying when there wasnt any subtitles, lol plus that persian girl was HOT, and so was that puerto rican girl, god damn. tittaaaayz

Sikotic™

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2005, 12:26:26 AM »

But higher league? That's a bold statement. When a movie is just so good I can't see any movie being in a higher league. Take Shawshank Redemption or Million Dollar Baby. THey're may be better movies, but I could never say any movie is in a higher leaue than those two. You know what I mean?

Personally I'll take traditional greatness over different and very good. When a "different" movie comes out it doesn't have to be as good to get the fans behind it because they've never seen it before. Kind of like Nas's Rewind. It was cool to hear the story backwards, but that doesn't make the story any better than okay at best, and the rapping was just average. However because it was "different" it got a lot more praise in other areas where it shouldn't. I have yet to see Crash so I won't comment on it, but Kill Bill is a movie I absolutely hate. It may not be a bad movie but thanks to all the hype and praise I find it repulsive. The first one is just a big fight scene, with a few cliche moments that reviewers made sound brilliant, and a whole lot of homage to tacky western and martial arts films of yester year. When someone told me he was mad it wasn't movie of the year I almost slapped him. I'll watch Crash and tell you what I think, but to be in a better league than Cinderella Man? I'm not holding my breath. Of course it's okay if you think so.

P.S. it's not a boxing movie. It's a movie about people. A man striving to succeed, and either winning or losing. That's what all great movies are about; people. Everything else in them is just a technicality.

You're overanalyzing things pal. If it helped you prove your point then more power to ya lol
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

bui21

• 'G'
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2005, 12:00:55 PM »
i wsaw previews of i..it was good..but ill guess this will be the next movie i see i theaters....