Author Topic: 50 Cent Donates G-Unity Scholarships To Former High School  (Read 127 times)

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
50 Cent's G-Unity foundation has just donated 10 scholarships worth $31,000 to Queensborough Community College in Bayside, Queens, New York.

The scholarships will cover one year's tuition and a $300 book stipend. The Jamaica, Queens rapper attended Andrew Jackson High School in Cambria Heights in his native borough. The school is now called Campus Magnet High School. According to G-Unity consultant Nina Biggar, Fiddy dropped out, but later obtained his GED.

According to director of development Laura Kotkin, the scholarships will be awarded to Campus Magnet High School students and two students from Queens' Springfield Gardens High School and Hillcrest High School.

Since 50 wants the scholarships to go to "forgotten" students, applicants need only a minimum high school average of 70 or C to be eligible. Applicants must write a 500-word essay and submit two recommendations from teachers, guidance counselors or work supervisors. Applications must be turned in by June 24th and the winners will be announced July 15th.

"Stars emerge from all segments of a high school class, not just the top," 50 Cent said in a statement. "It is my goal to help some kids who haven't met their full potential yet."

With the scholarships, Queensborough becomes the first college G-Unity has worked with and the $31, 000 donation is among the three biggest grants the foundation has provided to date. Earlier this year, the foundation supported music education by donating $150,000 for the Boys Choir of Harlem and $100,000 to the Compton Unified School District in California. Biggar revealed that G-Unity intends on renewing the Queensborough scholarships if the applicants successfully complete their first year.

"I think he [50 Cent] really wants to give an opportunity to kids who've shown a lot of improvement but don't follow in the classic scholarship guidelines," stated Biggar. "It will give teachers a really good opportunity to watch out for the kids who have improved."

http://www.sohh.com/thewire/read.php?contentID=7192

Westside Soldier

Re: 50 Cent Donates G-Unity Scholarships To Former High School
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 11:09:58 PM »
thanks for the info. 8)

rafsta

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 11:32:21 PM »
thats cool he's givin them to C grade students...

::Mr. Hahn::

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 12:54:21 AM »
nice to know hes doing something with all that paper.
Currently Training at:
www.VT1GYM.com

Gang Starr

"But they can't take the respect, that I've earned in my lifetime
And you know they'll never stop the furious force of my rhymes
So like they say, every dog has it's day
And like they say, God works in a mysterious way
So I pray, remembering the days of my youth
As I prepare to meet my moment of truth"

Cordless

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 01:04:17 AM »
nice to know hes doing something with all that paper.

true but with the paper 50 has i reckon he coulda given a bit more, if not a lot more

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 10:00:20 AM »
That is nice of him.  However, he doesn't really portray an image of someone who is truly himself.
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"