Author Topic: 50 Greatest West coast albums of all time *DISCUSSION THREAD ONLY*  (Read 1361 times)

Diabolical

Re: 50 Greatest West coast albums of all time *DISCUSSION THREAD ONLY*
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2005, 07:58:31 AM »
What i should have said is yeah, he does count as westcoast.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2005, 11:50:27 AM »
Personally....I can definitely see some people putting Game in their Top 20s, and I might even put it in there when I finally think of my list. It's hard comparing that album to the many other classics the west has put out, but depending on the taste of the person judging it, it can make a lotta sense. Many younger heads would definitely put Game in their list versus the older classics that old heads love the most. And for west coast fans who like east coast rap a lot, they probably love Game's album and definitely see it as a great album. It doesn't have many weakpoints about it, and is much more consistent than a whole lot of albums, and even some of the best west coast albums had some weak spots and songs you skip over when you play them.

I think I am gonna include DOC in the countdown...it was real hard for me to decide because he's from Texas, but I bet most people in Texas who are 21 and younger think he's west coast and have no idea he's from Texas, just like most people think MC Breed is from CA.

LAZEEEEEEEEEEE

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • The Oracle
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2005, 02:13:17 PM »
Personally....I can definitely see some people putting Game in their Top 20s, and I might even put it in there when I finally think of my list. It's hard comparing that album to the many other classics the west has put out, but depending on the taste of the person judging it, it can make a lotta sense. Many younger heads would definitely put Game in their list versus the older classics that old heads love the most. And for west coast fans who like east coast rap a lot, they probably love Game's album and definitely see it as a great album. It doesn't have many weakpoints about it, and is much more consistent than a whole lot of albums, and even some of the best west coast albums had some weak spots and songs you skip over when you play them.

I think I am gonna include DOC in the countdown...it was real hard for me to decide because he's from Texas, but I bet most people in Texas who are 21 and younger think he's west coast and have no idea he's from Texas, just like most people think MC Breed is from CA.
i dunno bout dat..... the game had tons of weak spots on his album.... and personally i can think of like 150 westcoast albumz off da top of my head that are better.....If you put game in your top 20 it'z obvious you haven't herd much west coast albumz.....

Rudki

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2005, 02:18:06 PM »
^ yes

Game repeated so much shit, he did the name dropping thing way tooo many times....but thats whats wrong with these polls, not everyone has heard a wide amount of shit and so sadly  u will get people who list THE DOCUMENTARY in there top 20 but havent even heard albums like King T - Thy Kingdom Come, which to me is a westcoast classic, yes it could have been polished alot, but its still a gem to me..

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2005, 03:27:50 PM »
You coulda heard 200,000 west coast albums, but that doesn't mean that you might not feel that Game's should be top 20...most of y'all always accuse people who don't share your same views of being too young, or not hearin enough music, when that's not always the case. I'm not just speakin for myself, but for many others around. You have to take many things into account...for one, things you might consider to be a weakpoint on Game's album may not mean anything to somebody else, and then there are people who consider Chronic and Doggystyle to have many weakpoints that most of us definitely don't see as being weakpoints. My homeboy around the corner is 18, but TV and radio raised him and he didn't get into rap til 98-99, versus me who's just 20 but musically was raised by the dudes in the neighborhood and at school and got into rap in 92-93. With him, he doesn't even think Chronic, Straight outta Compton and Doggystyle are that impressive to him. He likes all Jay-Z albums better than them, he likes Nate's music and me better, and even though he knows it's nowhere near as influential, he'd rather listen to Game's album than those. Now most of us, including me at times, wanna just slap him in the face and we would all call him an idiot, but music taste is all defined by what you are raised on. I've played him all the classic (in my eyes) west coast albums, and since he didn't get into rap til 98-99, he just can't get into those albums as much. So it's many people who are similar to him and just don't get into a lot of other albums. Even like "King T" I'll admit in a second, I've never heard his album, and if I heard it at this point in time, I probably wouldn't get into it a whole lot since I'm hearin it so late. But I'm sure that if I was older and I heard it when it dropped, I'd think it was much better than Game's album.

T.Dot

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2005, 03:50:23 PM »
As a whole, the west coast is wack, but it has it's hot spots. That being everything released by Cube and 2Pac, The first Chronic, Doggy Style, Dogg Food, Black Sunday. I won't say everything else out of West is wack but I'll say 90% is. Can't give credit of Em and G unity to west or theid be on the list as well.

Acgrundy

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2005, 04:04:43 PM »
You coulda heard 200,000 west coast albums, but that doesn't mean that you might not feel that Game's should be top 20...most of y'all always accuse people who don't share your same views of being too young, or not hearin enough music, when that's not always the case. I'm not just speakin for myself, but for many others around. You have to take many things into account...for one, things you might consider to be a weakpoint on Game's album may not mean anything to somebody else, and then there are people who consider Chronic and Doggystyle to have many weakpoints that most of us definitely don't see as being weakpoints. My homeboy around the corner is 18, but TV and radio raised him and he didn't get into rap til 98-99, versus me who's just 20 but musically was raised by the dudes in the neighborhood and at school and got into rap in 92-93. With him, he doesn't even think Chronic, Straight outta Compton and Doggystyle are that impressive to him. He likes all Jay-Z albums better than them, he likes Nate's music and me better, and even though he knows it's nowhere near as influential, he'd rather listen to Game's album than those. Now most of us, including me at times, wanna just slap him in the face and we would all call him an idiot, but music taste is all defined by what you are raised on. I've played him all the classic (in my eyes) west coast albums, and since he didn't get into rap til 98-99, he just can't get into those albums as much. So it's many people who are similar to him and just don't get into a lot of other albums. Even like "King T" I'll admit in a second, I've never heard his album, and if I heard it at this point in time, I probably wouldn't get into it a whole lot since I'm hearin it so late. But I'm sure that if I was older and I heard it when it dropped, I'd think it was much better than Game's album.

wow, you've never heard a king T album?  dude tha kingdom come dropped like a couple of years ago, and it is much better than games album.  funny how in the first part of your post you said these guys accused people of being too young or not hearing enuff music, but thats not the case...then you went on with your post, and that is exactly the case, lol.

Its obvious that you have not heard much rap if game is in the top 20.  Tray Deee is my fav rapper, and I don't even think I would put an eastsidaz album in my top 50.

Rudki

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2005, 04:44:44 PM »
wow, you've never heard a king T album?  dude tha kingdom come dropped like a couple of years ago, and it is much better than games album.  funny how in the first part of your post you said these guys accused people of being too young or not hearing enuff music, but thats not the case...then you went on with your post, and that is exactly the case, lol.

Its obvious that you have not heard much rap if game is in the top 20.  Tray Deee is my fav rapper, and I don't even think I would put an eastsidaz album in my top 50.

EXACTLY

Hey R-Tistic dont get me wrong, im not hating on anyone, or being a dick because no one agrees with my lists, im just stating that there are so many albums better than the games, many can vouch for me on that....

and that King T album dropped in 2002 (it was meant to be released in 98 I think) check it out great production by Dre, Quik, Ant Banks, Battlecat etc and we all know about T' s  rappin so.......

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2005, 04:49:42 PM »
King T's album fell on deaf ears.  It made zero impact.
The Game's album is one of the biggest westcoast albums in years.

I'd put The Game's album higher for sure.

Rudki

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2005, 04:53:42 PM »
King T's album fell on deaf ears.  It made zero impact.
The Game's album is one of the biggest westcoast albums in years.

I'd put The Game's album higher for sure.

Lil Jon has made a much bigger 'impact' than DJ Quik or Ant Banks.

would you list him higher then those 2 aswell?

Acgrundy

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2005, 05:14:52 PM »
vanilla ice and mc hammer both made a bigger impact than the game.  who gives a fuck about impact.  impact can have nothing to do with how good the music is. 

Wild_Elmo

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2005, 05:34:42 PM »
Hey R-Tistic, I just realized why you favor The Game. Correct me if I am wrong, but was it you that produced a song for The Game?

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2005, 07:04:17 PM »

I said I hadn't heard THAT King T album, I heard the album with played like a piano a long time ago. Saying that somebody hasn't heard enough rap to put Game in their top 20 is completely absurd for a few reasons. For one...as I said, it all depends on YOUR taste, and many people may favor the style of music that Game is doin and that the album has versus what is on many of the older west coast albums have. I have heard hundreds and maybe thousands of rap albums before, and with west coast shit I've heard a whole lot of albums. Thing is, regardless of where I place Game's album, these albums all have many pluses and minuses to them, and it depends what you value more. Doggystyle is my favorite album ever, but I'll admit, he wasn't talkin about SHIT relevant on most songs. He was just flowin, yappin about nothin on a lotta songs, but I could care less, because it's still my favorite album. I'm nothing near a Game bandwagoner, but I think I view his album in a different light than many of y'all. Even amongst all the name droppin he did, it is a very very very solid and above average album. Great singles, great production, strong lyrics on some songs, and had very mass appeal to it, which is somethin most west coast albums don't have. Many of y'all just have completely different taste from what I do. I always say I have a commercially west coast ear, and that's what appeals most to me.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2005, 07:08:40 PM »

EXACTLY

Hey R-Tistic dont get me wrong, im not hating on anyone, or being a dick because no one agrees with my lists, im just stating that there are so many albums better than the games, many can vouch for me on that....

and that King T album dropped in 2002 (it was meant to be released in 98 I think) check it out great production by Dre, Quik, Ant Banks, Battlecat etc and we all know about T' s  rappin so.......

Many could also vouch for me if I did say Game was Top 20, so that doesn't say much. It's NO WAY POSSIBLE for anybody to really tell somebody that an album is BETTER period, because that is all subjective to the person judging the albums. To me, I don't really go by any criteria, I just judge how much an album moves me, and how much I want to listen to it and discuss it and play it for other people like "ey you heard this new shit?" If you feel it's 100 west coast albums better than Game's, then you do, and I won't argue with it. But I'll NEVER tell you that any album is better than another one, but say it as if it's a fact and not just opinion.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2005, 07:13:23 PM »
Hey R-Tistic, I just realized why you favor The Game. Correct me if I am wrong, but was it you that produced a song for The Game?

Yeah, but bein honest....even tho I know him and most of the BWS camp and work with them, that really has NO influence in why I thought it was a good album. I mean Murs is my cousin who I've known all my life...if I was gonna be bieased, I'd put all his albums in the Top 20 as well. Game's album just appealed to my ears a whole lot, and that's the end of the story.