Author Topic: Detroit Thread- Why Nobody From Detroit Has Blown Up Besides Eminem?  (Read 488 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I've thought since the late 90's that it was going to be Detroits time to grab the spotlight.  With Eminem blowing up, I thought he was going to take Detroit there with him.  They've had the most intense underground scene for the last 10 years or so, but Eminem has now fallen past his prime, and still there has been no other platinum rap artist to come out of Detroit.  Detroits style is dark, grimy, and suicidal, maybe that's why they stay underground.

-Royce was all set to blow up.  Workin with Dr. Dre and Eminem, he probably could have gotten a deal with Aftermath back in the day.  But he made two major mistakes, he signed with Tommy Boy for the money, and then his manager revealed to Vibe that Eminem was taking Dre through songs word for word for the new Chronic album.  So Dre stopped working with Royce.  (that was the rumor)

-Eminem brought out D-12 and the group album went platinum but still no one from the crew has had any success going solo.  Proof's been talking about a solo record for 3 years now, and Bizzare's record must not have been dope enough to earn him a contract with Shady/Interscope, which means the album will most likely flop.

-The Obie Trice project came out at the hieght of Shady Records, Dre hooked him up with a banger "Shit Hits The Fan", the first single "Got Some Teethe" got it's fair share of radio and video play, the album was marketed and hyped by the marketing machine of Interscope Records, yet the album struggled to even sell gold, maybe one day it will crawl to platinum, but that doesn't count.  I still think Obie's best work was back in the day with "Dope, Jobs, Homeless".

-Eminem's producers the Bass Brothers have made a couple of attempts to showcase other Detroit talent.  That one cat, I can't remember his name, had that single called "That's The Way We Roll", I think he was even signed to Web/Interscope, but the album was never released.   Then they have this new cat King Gordy, he has a few decent cuts, on "Nightmares" he spits like Biggie on "Notorious Thugs", still the album has fell way below the radar.

..............Detroit may stay permanently underground.  Which isn't necassarily a bad thing.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 05:08:46 PM by Allah's slave: Ibrahim Abdullah »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

rafsta

Trauma-san

Hmm.... lesse here.

D-12 made tons of money and went platinum.

Kid Rock is an international superstar, and has went multi-platinum multiple times.

Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise is from Detroit, what yall know about Robert Bradley?

The White Stripes are also from Detroit, and are international superstars, considered one of the best bands in the world, and pretty much run rock right now. 

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Hmm.... lesse here.

Kid Rock is an international superstar, and has went multi-platinum multiple times.

Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise is from Detroit, what yall know about Robert Bradley?

The White Stripes are also from Detroit, and are international superstars, considered one of the best bands in the world, and pretty much run rock right now. 

Clearly my thread was talking about hip-hop albums.   

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
I think their sound is not for the mainstream...Look at Slum Village...they do have a fan base but was popular only becuz Kanye Was on their single

Trauma-san

Hmm.... lesse here.

Clearly my thread was talking about hip-hop albums.   

Yeah, I hijacked it.  There's a word you're familiar with. 

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I think their sound is not for the mainstream...Look at Slum Village...they do have a fan base but was popular only becuz Kanye Was on their single

Still, Slum Village never went platinum.  Another example of a Detroit group that never quite blew up.

BigBDrugStores

-Eminem's producers the Bass Brothers have made a couple of attempts to showcase other Detroit talent.  That one cat, I can't remember his name, had that single called "That's The Way We Roll", I think he was even signed to Web/Interscope, but the album was never released.
Ally life

realz

• Muthafuckin' OG
DJ Rokz
www.myspace.com/djrokz

GET AT ME!!!!
rokz111 on aim

ABN

Cheers struggled to go gold ??? according to www.riaa.com itīs certified platinum.

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
J Dilla is from Detroit
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

wcsoldier

Cheers struggled to go gold ??? according to www.riaa.com itīs certified platinum.
Yep  Cheers went platinum around March 04

Jome

If there was any justice in the Detroit world of record sales, Royce da 5'9'' would have gone platinum, and D12 would struggle to see gold..

ABN

If there was any justice in the Detroit world of record sales, Royce da 5'9'' would have gone platinum, and D12 would struggle to see gold..

there is no such thing as justice in the music industry when a guy like 50 Cent sells millions of records and KRS-ONE struggles to sell over 50k.

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Alot of times that only means that the album has only shipped platinum, not actually sold platinum.  That album was slow out the box, it only did maybe 100,000 or so the first week and left the charts altogether a few weeks later.   It's possible that it went platinum, but I doubt it.