Author Topic: ABC Accused of "Indecency" during Live 8 broadcast  (Read 243 times)

Trauma-san

ABC Accused of "Indecency" during Live 8 broadcast
« on: July 15, 2005, 05:29:28 AM »
The funny thing is, I'm not positive that ABC showed Snoop, I don't think they did.  The FCC is suing them because Roger Daltry said something crazy during "Who Are You", and they showed it on T.V.  I didn't even notice it.

Hilariously, though, they didn't even see Snoop on MTV and VH1 cussing like a MOTHERFUCKER.  He said the word "Mothafuckin" at least 10 times without it being censored, because the censors couldn't see it coming in "Who Am I?"

ABC accused of Live 8 indecency

Parents group asks FCC to levy a fine on all stations who failed to censor obscenities in show.
July 14, 2005: 6:25 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A parents group on Thursday accused the ABC television network of violating broadcast decency standards when it failed to censor all profanity uttered during the recent Live 8 concert, an event held to draw attention to poverty in poor countries.

The Parents Television Council, which has filed numerous complaints about potentially indecent material on television, asked the Federal Communications Commission to levy a fine on ABC stations for failing to censor the July 2 performance of "Who Are You" by The Who.

"The program was aired on a tape delay, which should have given ABC ample time to edit all obscenities from the concert prior to broadcast," Tim Winter, PTC executive director, said in a statement.

The complaint was filed against the Washington, D.C., ABC affiliate WJLA, but the council asked the FCC to take action against all the ABC stations that aired the profanity, according to a spokeswoman for the organization.

U.S. law bars radio and television broadcasters from airing obscene material, and limits them to airing indecent material, typically profanity or sexually explicit content, to late night hours when children are less likely to be watching.

"Unfortunately, one inappropriate phrase sung by one performer was initially missed and made it into the East Coast network feed," ABC said in a statement. "It was subsequently edited out of the West Coast feed."

The FCC in the past has gone both ways in handling profanity on television. It decided against taking action when ABC aired the profanity-laden film "Saving Private Ryan." Yet the agency said NBC stations violated the law when Irish U2 rocker Bono swore during the 2003 Golden Globe Awards program, although it issued no fines.

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: ABC Accused of "Indecency" during Live 8 broadcast
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 06:07:06 AM »
Nothing got censored on the bbc.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 06:30:57 AM »
what did he say?

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 06:35:20 AM »

he performed uncut..

he said fuck, motherfucker and bitch lots of times i believe.. i did notice when i watched it

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 06:40:41 AM »
Yeah he just pretty much said what you would hear on his album (shit, fuck, bitch, nigga...and so on). I think he was on at about 6:30pm and their had been people on swearing before him too.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 06:43:13 AM »
wait the guy from the who curses, does that song even have curses in it?

Kal EL

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 06:47:56 AM »
The song doesn't
fuck the FCC, its the fuckin' who man!!!!!!

WHO ARE YOU
The Who

I woke up in a Soho doorway
The policeman knew my name
He said, "You can go sleep at home tonight
If you can get up and walk away"
I staggered back to the underground
The breeze blew back my hair
I remembered throwing punches around
And preachin' from my chair

Who are you
Hu hu hu hu
Who are you
Hu hu hu hu

I took the tube back out of town
Home to the rolling pin
I felt a little like a dying clown
But with a streak of Rin Tin Tin
I stretched back and I hiccupped
Looked back on my busy day
Eleven hours in the tin pan
God there's got to be another way

Who are you
Hu hu hu hu
Who are you
Hu hu hu hu

There's a place where I know you walked
The love falls from the trees
My heart is like a broken cup
I only feel right on my knees
I spill out like a sewer hole
Yet still receive your kiss
How can I measure up to anyone new
After such a love as this

Who are you
Hu hu hu hu
Who are you
Hu hu hu hu
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 06:52:32 AM by Kal EL »

Diabolical

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 01:34:38 PM »
Yeah he just pretty much said what you would hear on his album (shit, fuck, bitch, nigga...and so on). I think he was on at about 6:30pm and their had been people on swearing before him too.

lmao @ Roger Daltrey saying "nigga".

Roger: Hey Pete hit that amp wit yo' gitar nigga!
Pete: Fuck off you cunt.
John: Calm down ladies.

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 05:51:47 AM »

Hilariously, though, they didn't even see Snoop on MTV and VH1 cussing like a MOTHERFUCKER.  He said the word "Mothafuckin" at least 10 times without it being censored, because the censors couldn't see it coming in "Who Am I?"

lolol

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 01:25:04 PM »
I didn't hear the guy in the Who swear or use any profanity whilst performing. The only ones I saw swearing were Snoop (on multiple occasions), Green Day, and Bono. The tv companies can't be held responsible for this. Its a live event, like a sporting event is, they don't have sport on a delay just so they can edit out the players swearing at each other, and the crowd chanting obsenities. The fact that its live means that they have no control over what is being performed.

All I can say is that some parents are way too protective of their children, and why do they always have to make a big issue out of this kind of thing.

Doggystylin

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 07:14:40 PM »
man that shit was hilarious, it would show some of the crowd and you could tell they couldnt wait for snoop to get off stage

Trauma-san

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 05:00:55 AM »
What everybody's missing is that it WAS on delay.  They bleeped the hell out of Snoop, but the people censoring it didn't know the song, so they kept missing stuff.  They only have about 6 seconds to bleep it, and they'd bleep the wrong word, or whatever.  They missed tons of stuff, like "My Shit's On Hit Legit and Now I'm On Parole" 

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 05:16:28 AM »

lolol

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 09:36:26 AM »
The BBC over here showed full uncensored coverage of the whole thing, and nobody is threatening any legal action or anything against them. Only in America would this sort of stuff happen. It sounds like ABC even tried to censor the concert but just didn't catch every word, so what is the fuss all about?

ecrazy

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 02:14:23 AM »
Its stupid, its just some stupid people at home with a letterhead who say they are an organization out to get money, im going to start my own group, the GFPWHFGAL
The Group for people who hate gay ass lawsuits, who is with me?