Author Topic: LAL WAIVE FORWARD B. GRANT  (Read 137 times)

wcsoldier

LAL WAIVE FORWARD B. GRANT
« on: August 11, 2005, 03:25:36 AM »
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- The Los Angeles Lakers waived forward Brian Grant on Wednesday, taking advantage of a one-time provision to the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement that allows teams to save nearly $30 million in luxury tax penalties.

Grant was part of the trade that sent Shaquille O'Neal to the Miami Heat last July. The Lakers acquired Grant, Lamar Odom, Caron Butler and a future first-round draft pick.

Grant was the Lakers' second-highest paid player after Kobe Bryant and still is owed $29.8 million on his contract.

He averaged a career-low 3.8 points and 3.7 rebounds last season while bothered by chronic tendinitis in his knees. He also had a neck injury in training camp and spent a month on the injured list because of the tendinitis.

The Lakers will have to pay nearly all of Grant's remaining contract, even if the 33-year-old player signs with another team as a free agent. The Lakers will gain no additional salary cap flexibility until after the 2006-07 season, when Grant's contract expires.

By removing Grant's salary from the NBA's luxury tax calculations, the Lakers benefit because the league assesses a dollar-for-dollar penalty for the amount teams spend over the luxury tax threshold, which will be $61.7 million for next season.

``This is a one-time opportunity to take advantage of this situation, and exercising this will give us greater roster flexibility and the ability to improve our team,'' Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said.

Addicted To Cake

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Whos Next?
Re: LAL WAIVE FORWARD B. GRANT
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 03:36:53 AM »
that guy is fuckin trash. he should feel ashamed of himself for stealing all that money last season.

acbaylove

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 03:46:47 AM »
He's a good person, i've loved him in the past because he was obviously undersized by almost every PF and C's in the NBA, but he still had the heart to do it. He failed in L.A., dramatically. And he wasnt worth all them money. Bye bye Brian.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 12:22:35 PM »
that sucks...but look at the bright side..he still gets 29 million
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

WestCoasta

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 02:55:27 PM »
the thing is, they still gotta pay him, regardless if he's on the team or not, it's that new NBA Union rule

he won't be on the team but he WILL be makin $14 million  :o

unfuckinbelievable, that much god damn money for sittin on your ass, I'm so jealous

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 12:00:46 AM »

Bright side?...That fuckin' sucks ass...

Well, at least the Lakers can save on their luxury tax and pick up someone who can actually contribute now, hopefully a big name point guard...Marko Jaric, Derek Fisher, Derek Anderson, Nick Van Exel :o...PeACe

WestCoasta

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 12:29:19 AM »
Marko Jaric is sorry for the Lakers, Nick Van Exel is old and has bad knees, Derek Fisher costs too much, but Derek Anderson I think they are interested in cuz he doesn't want a long term deal and is cheap, better than Fucky Atkins

acbaylove

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 04:10:54 AM »
Derek Fisher costs too much, but Derek Anderson I think they are interested in cuz he doesn't want a long term deal and is cheap, better than Fucky Atkins

Actually i think Derek Fisher whould accept the LLE, while Derek Anderson only wants the full MLE. Fisher is def cheaper. But only if Golden State waives him.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 12:27:10 PM »

Bright side?...

bright side for him..its embarressing to be cut..but he knows he's sitll getting paid
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

acbaylove

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 12:46:29 PM »
Plus i def dont understand why someone should be blamed for the contract he signed. Damn, he didnt force nobody to make that contract. Somebody gave it to him, and somebody acquired him knowing he had to get them money. Why all this hate? He looks like a very good person, he has family, he did business. It's good for him. And for Divac, too. Who's in the same position.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 01:59:11 PM »
Marko Jaric is sorry for the Lakers, Nick Van Exel is old and has bad knees, Derek Fisher costs too much, but Derek Anderson I think they are interested in cuz he doesn't want a long term deal and is cheap, better than Fucky Atkins

You haven't seen Marko Jaric really play...I think he has potential to easily be on Steve Nash status...He's only 27. He was playing great for the Clippers last season during the first half, but second half of the season he had that little injury which kept him down a lot, put him in the shooting guard (and even small forward) position, and cost him many minutes, which all really lowered his averages...If Marko Jaric can stay healthy, he would be the perfect fit for the Lakers...Great passer, nice ball-handler, very good offensively, and knows how to play defense...He'd be the best fit for the Lakers right now...Nick Van Exel is not that old (34) and his bad knees are said to be improving... He has at least 3 years in him (hmmm ???...Phil's contract is 3 years), and he can still be a great offensive and defensive threat for the Lakers...Derek Fisher will sign for as cheap as Derek Anderson, if not cheaper...Fisher is currently getting 6 mill a year from GS, and when they waive him he can sign for much cheaper...Derek Anderson wants 5 million a year, which is not bad, but I'd prefer Fisher...Whatever the Lakers get, I bet it'll be an improvement over Atkins...Whoever says Atkins would be better than any of those 4 players mentioned hasn't seen a Laker game all season...Chucky Atkins might be good for 10 minutes off the bench for an offensive push, but a starter? He plays no defense whatsoever! Whatever the Lakers next move is, I'm willing to bet they will be twice the team they were last year...PeACe