Author Topic: Recent Sohh.com Interview with DJ Quik (Good Read)  (Read 283 times)

=[Euthanasia]=

Recent Sohh.com Interview with DJ Quik (Good Read)
« on: June 11, 2002, 11:14:59 AM »
I don't know if anyones posted this up already, I can't see it anywhere but here's a very recent interview from sohh.com with Quik:

With over a decade in the game and five above average albums under his belt, DJ Quik is finally feeling free. No longer a major label commodity, Quik is poised to make moves on the independent scene. He has a new album, Under Tha Influence, a new label, Euponic Records and a new sense of liberty. SOHH got a chance to sit down with Quik and find out about the new album, upcoming projects and some secrets to being a blazin' producer.

So how is Under Tha Influence different from past DJ Quik albums?

This record is like, I finally get to put some West Coast beats with some East Coast rappers and do it real big and its not a regional type record. Pharoahe Monch is on there, Talib Kweli, Shyhiem, El Debarge, AMG, Hi-C, KK, Suga Free, I even got Wanya from Boyz II Men on there. Production-wise, 90% of it is analog, just like back in the days, but it's solid, slow-moving, punchy and clear. It's a fly record that stands on its own.

In an interview with MTV, you said your old style was "for the birds." What did you mean by that?

I was just saying that I was kind of getting a little souped. I was listening to too many people at once, giving me advice and sh*t and it started to affect my music and it kind of softened it up a little bit.

< B>How was it working with everyone on this project?

We partied like every night. It was serious in there while everybody was working, but when we knew it was a hit, we started enjoying ourselves. It's a fun album, but it's serious at the same time.

How much has Dr. Dre been an influence on your production lately?

Well, you know, it's funny, we learn from each other. And he's been in the game four years longer than I have, but there are some things I learn from him and some things he learns from me and we can kind of share with each other. He actually teaches me more about the business than the music, ya know.

As far as producing, you're considered one of the top cats in Hip-Hop right now. How come you don't get out and produce for more artists? You could blow up like Neptunes-style...

In the past, when I see people do it like that, and not to include the Neptunes in this, they seem to burn themselves out and saturate their sound. And, then they burn out and you don't see them anymore. I've always based my sh*t on longevity man, and I think it's about spacing it out and being selective with the artists. I mean, I can easily go out and produce anybody but what would that say about my sound and my style? After awhile it would just get burnt.

I suppose you have to turn a lot of artists down when they want beats?

Yeah, all the time. And some people get mad and be ready to scrap. But I ain't saying that they ain't got skills, I'm just concentrating on the projects that I got.

So what kind of equipment do you use?

Everything man. Everything. Computers are cool, but nothing sounds like equipment that you can turn on and it heats up. People always saying that they want computers to make their record sound cool and sh*t, but that's just a computer chip; it ain't an old warm piece of equipment with tubes in it, warming up the sound. Warm equipment, warm sounds.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

=[Euthanasia]=

Re: Recent Sohh.com Interview with DJ Quik (Good R
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2002, 11:16:13 AM »
The track, "Addictive", you produced for Truth Hurts is straight heat. Are you gonna do more work with Aftermath? Maybe get on that Rakim album?

I'd like to, yeah. But yeah, I'm definitely gonna do something on Rakim's joint.

Have you heard of Beat Generation Series? Where producers like Pete Rock, Jay Dee and Marley Marl put out albums focusing on the production?

Nah, that's hot though. Jay Dee is one of my favorites.

Would you ever consider putting out an album like that? An instrumental joint, like nothing but "Quik's Grooves?"

At some point, but right now I'm focusing on launching my label. But I've always thought about doing that but I didn't want it to be all soft and soupy sounding, like jazzed out and boring. I don't want to be boring.

So what's your relationship with Tha Row and Suge like nowadays?

We don't talk much. I've only seen him like twice since he's been out of jail. We're all busy doing our own stuff, but I wish him luck and I hope he comes back and blows up. But you know, I got my label going now.

The battle between you and MC Eiht will go down in Hip-Hop history as one of the best. On Rhythm-Al-Ism, you gave him a shout out saying ya'll should hook up and do a record. Did anything ever come out of that?

Yeah, we talked and we actually did a record too. It might come out soon, it's hot. It features Xzibit, Defari, Sporty Thieves, Hi-C, AMG, MC Eiht and myself. I have to finish it, it's real long, and it's like an epic song. I have to finish it and keep it movin'. And I'd like to get down with dude again.

One thing that Hip-Hop heads like about you is that you don't hold your tongue for anyone. Are you dissing anyone on this album?

Nah, actually I didn't have any beefs on this record. Ya know, having enemies and striking people wrong is like inevitable. But for the most part on this record there is no beef.

Condolences on the passing of Mausberg last year. Do you still have some material from him? Are you gonna put it out or is the album good enough?

Thank you, that's much appreciated. I got a couple of songs but I'm gonna hold on to them, I'm just gonna keep them. I don't think I'd want to put them out and if I did it would be much later.

So what's up with the rest of the crew? 2nd II None, Suga Free, AMG, Hi-C?

Well, there's no more 2nd II None, they broke up. We're getting started on the Suga Free record [right now]. AMG is working on his record and Hi-C is about to release his old catalog and a new record too. And the new record is kind of funky man, he's been experimenting with it.

Will we ever see the return of the Penthouse Players Clique (PPC)?

Damn! I'm glad you know that! If Penthouse comes back, it'll probably come back as a younger group like a part two. Playa Hamm's sons are grown up and they bustin'. Actually, one of his sons, I'm gonna have my nephews work with him. He sound like Playa Hamm and Rakim mixed together. Yeah he's funky, he's got a look to, he looks like a little young West Coast thug ya know. And my nephews produce, so I'll probably put them together and make a new Penthouse with all original family members with my family and Playa Hamm's family. I've been having them in the studio just f*cking around, bullsh*ttin and buildin' with each other. I think it'd be tight and it'll probably have guest appearances from some of the original Penthouse cats.

What about El Debarge? We gonna see an album?

Yeah, I'm gonna do it on my label. That's actually a priority because now his music is getting regenerated by everybody by being sampled. Dude is still tight and he still composes like that. I want to get him in the studio and do something else like that.

How do you feel about Hip-Hop now in the new millennium?

I'm cool with it. I just don't want to see it become corny. I think Hip-Hop is street music, and the street is all based on credibility and on truth. I don't want to see it get sacrificed for the money. I've been hearing some funny records where they crossbreed Hip-Hop with some R&B and that sh*t right there is not cool to me. I mean, I got singing on my records, but it's like hip-hop singing and Dancehall singing and I have El Debarge on the R&B type records. So I think I know how to do it where it don't sound cheesy.

You got any advice for up and coming producers?

,Yeah, for everybody that wants to do this, know that your equipment defines your sound. Try to get the best equipment and make records that define you. Don't bite nobody and fight to carve your on niche. If you do that, you'll be around forever. Especially if you can keep being creative and make a sound that's totally distinctive to you.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Doggystylin

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2002, 11:23:18 AM »
props, thanx for the interview homie, it was a nice read, quik is real, i would put him 2nd to dre but at some things hes even better

Dr._Funkenstein

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2002, 11:35:47 AM »
Cool interview! I'm really looking forward to Hi-C's third record.

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2002, 11:37:24 AM »
>= link=board=general;num=1023830099;start=0#1 date=06/11/02 at 16:16:13]The track, "Addictive", you produced for Truth Hurts is straight heat. Are you gonna do more work with Aftermath? Maybe get on that Rakim album?

I'd like to, yeah. But yeah, I'm definitely gonna do something on Rakim's joint.

rakim over a quik beat.. interesting.. should be swwwweeeeeet.

>= link=board=general;num=1023830099;start=0#1 date=06/11/02 at 16:16:13]One thing that Hip-Hop heads like about you is that you don't hold your tongue for anyone. Are you dissing anyone on this album?

Nah, actually I didn't have any beefs on this record. Ya know, having enemies and striking people wrong is like inevitable. But for the most part on this record there is no beef.

apart from probably the hardest diss to suge ever made on wax... lol

DreSnoop00

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2002, 11:39:05 AM »
props, thanx for the interview homie, it was a nice read, quik is real, i would put him 2nd to dre but at some things hes even better

word
dj quik is one of my fav producers...i gotta pick up the new album, thanks for postin that up 704D, it was cool reading it
peace

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2002, 11:45:22 AM »
Dope, Thanks For Postin That Up 704D!

Great Read

peace

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

Doggystylin

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2002, 11:49:21 AM »

apart from probably the hardest diss to suge ever made on wax... lol

hmm....obviously i havent heard this album throughly yet, wheres the diss?, and explain it, cause im thinkin of one part right now but it can mean somethin else too

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2002, 11:51:42 AM »
Dope, Thanks For Postin That Up 704D!

Great Read

peace

Don Seer

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2002, 11:52:58 AM »
listen for "big red bitch"  and wind it on back ;D

the whole first verse is blatantly directed at Suge.

its on  50 ways (track 9)

BL7

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2002, 12:21:20 PM »
We'll never hear production from Quik as good as Rhythm-al-ism again. Fuck! >:(

Sikotic™

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2002, 12:35:39 PM »
listen for "big red bitch"  and wind it on back ;D

the whole first verse is blatantly directed at Suge.

its on  50 ways (track 9)

OOOOOH YEAAAAAH!!!!

I thought he was talkin' about the devil tempting him or somethin lol. I shoulda known when he said a man in a suit. That's a obvious diss.

And thanks for the interview 7O4D. Props
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Dedicato

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • AFTERMATH MUSIC
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2002, 12:42:32 PM »
Thx for posting the news! Quik is das bomb!

Woodrow

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2002, 12:44:00 PM »
I still dont think its a diss...

Have you guys forgotten about Eazy E? He dissed death row whenver he got the chance.

-Engelwood

Doggystylin

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2002, 01:45:07 PM »

OOOOOH YEAAAAAH!!!!

I thought he was talkin' about the devil tempting him or somethin lol. I shoulda known when he said a man in a suit. That's a obvious diss.

And thanks for the interview 7O4D. Props

shit thats what i was thinkin too!, lmao

lol @ quik sayin that hes all good with suge or whatever, lol