Author Topic: Kanye West Vs Beach Boys  (Read 391 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Kanye West Vs Beach Boys
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2005, 01:10:16 PM »
^^ ok, mathematically, you might be right (Springsteen is still good and REM dropped their best album in 1994 btw), I just hate the dramatization. Itīs not like I have too much money to buy all decent CDīs coming out, so why complain about the bad? The music scene is itself bigger today than it used to be, cause itīs easier to start making music today, if you donīt have high ambitions. That leads to a lot more trash of course. There is, bottom line, still enough decent stuff

and i knew the trauma part was a joke, but i had the impression you found the quote something very original...sorry for that

Whether or not Bruce or REM are good now or in the 90s or in the 70s doesn't take away from them being good in the 80s (Bruce was nothing in the 80s compared to how good he was in the 70s, and you think Monster is the best REM album? Most say Document or Automatic). Any way, the point is that I think the music scene isn't as good right now as it is bad. If you want to factor out all the indy talent then we can just take the top 100 or 200 only count them. Either way there is more bad than good, and the good is not as good as the good of yesteryear. That's how I see it anyway.

mauzip

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2005, 01:12:37 PM »
www.kanyewestsounds.com

^^download it there legally and for free^^

i think it's a good mix album :)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 03:56:44 PM »
^^ ok, mathematically, you might be right (Springsteen is still good and REM dropped their best album in 1994 btw), I just hate the dramatization. Itīs not like I have too much money to buy all decent CDīs coming out, so why complain about the bad? The music scene is itself bigger today than it used to be, cause itīs easier to start making music today, if you donīt have high ambitions. That leads to a lot more trash of course. There is, bottom line, still enough decent stuff

and i knew the trauma part was a joke, but i had the impression you found the quote something very original...sorry for that

Whether or not Bruce or REM are good now or in the 90s or in the 70s doesn't take away from them being good in the 80s (Bruce was nothing in the 80s compared to how good he was in the 70s, and you think Monster is the best REM album? Most say Document or Automatic). Any way, the point is that I think the music scene isn't as good right now as it is bad. If you want to factor out all the indy talent then we can just take the top 100 or 200 only count them. Either way there is more bad than good, and the good is not as good as the good of yesteryear. That's how I see it anyway.

1. REM: I meant Automatic. Itīs ī92, not ī94, I just checked my copy, itīs nevertheless 90īs.

2. Yeah, there is more bad than good...I guess youīre a few years older than me, but i doubt you were around in the 70īs (correct me if Iīm wrong). What my parents and some other people their age (around 50) say is just that there was ALSO a lot of trash in the 70īs that we simply just donīt know nowadays, cause nobody gives a fuck anymore. Not as much of it, but more than you or I would think. Pretty logical if you think about it, the good stuff will be listened to years later, the trash is forgotten about.

Now I agree that very little of the good today can compete with the very best of yesteryear, but there is some. People tend to glorify the past and while the 60īs and 70īs were a better era for pop than weīre in now - I agree completely - once in a while an album that comes out nowadays can compete. You can check my list for that if you want.

So, generally youīre not wrong, but if you wanna "do the math", I donīt think the 70īs added up to that huge hell of a plus some people think they did and today we donīt have the dramatic ass minus people tend to see. Itīs just not THAT simple and drastic IMO

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 05:35:57 PM »

1. REM: I meant Automatic. Itīs ī92, not ī94, I just checked my copy, itīs nevertheless 90īs.

2. Yeah, there is more bad than good...I guess youīre a few years older than me, but i doubt you were around in the 70īs (correct me if Iīm wrong). What my parents and some other people their age (around 50) say is just that there was ALSO a lot of trash in the 70īs that we simply just donīt know nowadays, cause nobody gives a fuck anymore. Not as much of it, but more than you or I would think. Pretty logical if you think about it, the good stuff will be listened to years later, the trash is forgotten about.

Now I agree that very little of the good today can compete with the very best of yesteryear, but there is some. People tend to glorify the past and while the 60īs and 70īs were a better era for pop than weīre in now - I agree completely - once in a while an album that comes out nowadays can compete. You can check my list for that if you want.

So, generally youīre not wrong, but if you wanna "do the math", I donīt think the 70īs added up to that huge hell of a plus some people think they did and today we donīt have the dramatic ass minus people tend to see. Itīs just not THAT simple and drastic IMO

I wasn't around in the 70s, but I do know that it didn't end up with a huge plus and I never meant to imply it did. The disco years alone take it ay down, but it was a plus none the less, and that's all I was implying. I know all about the bad music of the 70s, but here's the thing; in the 70s even the bad artists played their own instruments and wrote their songs, and if they didn't they were amazing vocalists. Today we have an RnB scene where people rarely write what they sing (whiis okay because hardly anyone wrote their own songs in Motown either), but the natural talent of the stars of the 70s stands out. Why? Because for the most part who had to be a very good singer if you weren't a writer. There were a lot less big acts that were products of the corporation. Why? Because it wasn't easy to fake talent back then. Today we are in a digital age. Britney doesn't have to know how to sing well because computers can fix that and she lip synchs on stage. You couldn't fake Debby Boone's voice to sound great when it really sucked.

And in general what are kids growing up with now? Yesteryear most kids involved with music had their own band and grew up playing instruments. I'm sorry but I will never consider creating a beat on a loop progran and rapping over it as creative as composing music on a piano and writing lyrics to go with it.

Sikotic™

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 05:40:13 PM »
WTF does he know about hip hop anyways?

That quote will be dismissed and I'm now d/ling the mixtape.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 07:44:26 PM »

Now wait a minute. He may very well be talking out of his heroin needle holes, but you shouldn't just assume he doesn't know anything. Can you say for sure he doesn't listen to hip hop?

davida.b.

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 08:46:05 PM »
^^^Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Beach Boys worked with the Fat Boys, right?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 08:51:22 PM »
^^^Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Beach Boys worked with the Fat Boys, right?

Trauma would know.

Sikotic™

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 08:54:24 PM »

Now wait a minute. He may very well be talking out of his heroin needle holes, but you shouldn't just assume he doesn't know anything. Can you say for sure he doesn't listen to hip hop?

Of course I can't. Doesn't matter to me even if he was a hip hop head. His opinion is dismissed. Period.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2005, 07:29:37 AM »

Of course I can't. Doesn't matter to me even if he was a hip hop head. His opinion is dismissed. Period.

What's so dismissible about what he said? Music is less creative now than it once was.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 09:37:40 AM by Kill »