Author Topic: Latrell Sprewell to sign with the Lakers?  (Read 1448 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Latrell Sprewell to sign with the Lakers?
« on: September 05, 2005, 12:07:11 AM »
Lakers: Sprewell's price might not be right
By Vincent Bonsignore, Staff Writer

Latrell Sprewell doesn't like the money the Lakers are offering, but he appears to be running out of options.

Sprewell, the talented but controversial free-agent guard who played last season in Minnesota, is seeking a deal starting at $5 million per season. He has spoken to the Lakers, which can offer only the $2.5 million remaining from its midlevel exception.

But lately, potential suitors San Antonio and Denver eliminated themselves from consideration by using their full $5 million midlevel exceptions to sign Michael Finley and Earl Watson, respectively.

That leaves only Miami, which has its full $5 million slot, and the Lakers as the remaining logical landing points for Sprewell.

Sprewell's agent, Robert Gist, confirmed Friday he hasn't been in contact with the Heat, but he has talked with the Lakers.

"When Latrell thinks about the Lakers, he gets a big smile on his face," said Gist. "Playing alongside a great player like Kobe Bryant and for a great coach like Phil Jackson is something he's very intrigued by."

Sounds interesting...That would fix the fuck out of the weak bench problem the Lakers seemed to be having. Kobe and McKie would start in the backcourt Odom and Brown in the frontcourt and Mihm at center...Then they could have players like Devean George and Latrell Sprewell stepping up big off the bench...This is how it'd look:

Aaron McKie...Smush Parker/Sasha Vujacic/Tierre Brown
Kobe Bryant...Latrell Sprewell/Tony Bobbit/Von Wafer
Lamar Odom…..Devean George/Jumain Jones/Luke Walton/Laron Profit
Kwame Brown…..Brian Cook/Slava Medvadenko/Ronny Turiaf
Chris Mihm…..Andrew Bynum

Coach: Phil Jackson

Though there is another option...They could start Kobe and Sprewell in the backcourt and have McKie coming off the bench. That would give the Lakers an amazing line-up to start the game up with...The only potential problem I see with this idea is the lack of a true point guard. Kobe Bryant is naturally a shooting guard and having him run the point doesn't seem completely fair, even though he's done it. McKie was brought in to run the point, but has played the 2 guard position his whole career...Smush Parker will be seen running the point more than ever. Sasha Vujacic is barely developing in the NBA as a point guard. Tierre Brown will most likely not be a Laker next year. That leaves the Lakers with no TRUE point guard. I do, however, trust in Phil Jackson's taste for the type of players he needs. I trust in the Lakers' plan...PeACe

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Latrell Sprewell to sign with the Lakers?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 12:10:12 AM »
whoa lakers r slowly moving up the depth charts WOW if this is true

Tha G In Deee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • If it don't make dollaz, it don't make sense.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 01:21:43 AM »

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 07:10:48 AM »
First good move by the Lakers in a while if this is goes down.  :D
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Doggystylin

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 09:19:25 AM »
sprewell and mckie are old and washed up, I thought the lakers already learnt their lesson in what happens with old washed up players

-VZA-

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 09:32:16 AM »
sprewell and mckie are old and washed up, I thought the lakers already learnt their lesson in what happens with old washed up players
i love my lakers but i gotta agree with this.
Ninja Babes - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NinjaBabes
like women who have abortions... i'm not havin' it.  ~canibus~
bust a nut inside your eye just to show you where i come from.  ~phife dawg~
like a man without no arms... you can't hang.  ~method man~
<--my future wifey

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 10:08:07 AM »
if itz tru, theyd prolly start Sprewell unless he was playin shyt.
cause if they dint, hed prolly be throwin a tantrum and ask to get traded eventually.

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 11:16:51 AM »
Well they have a bunch of role players with One Superstart and One Potential Super Star in Odum.  It's going to be fun to see how Phil Jackson coaches this team

wcsoldier

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 11:30:42 AM »
Salary cap wise, now LAL is a lil limited, regarding that it's a good choice. Even if he's 35, Spree is still a good player defense n offense wise, could be the third scorer

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 11:48:32 AM »
People need to understand we have no money to spend..it' all about 2007..

I guess it's cool...Kobe needs a back up..remember last season k.rush was dogin it and kobe end up avg like 45 minutes per game when Rudy t was there...phil is not going to allow that shit to happend..so bring him in..hopeflly he could still score points...even if he is on the downside of his career

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 10:46:39 PM »
People need to understand we have no money to spend..it' all about 2007..

I guess it's cool...Kobe needs a back up..remember last season k.rush was dogin it and kobe end up avg like 45 minutes per game when Rudy t was there...phil is not going to allow that shit to happend..so bring him in..hopeflly he could still score points...even if he is on the downside of his career

Did you read the article? Sprewell was leaning towards accepting the 2.5 mill per year the Lakers had to offer...Kobe doesn't need a back-up, and that's exactly why a talented young Rush was traded for practically nothing (a 2nd round pick from Charlotte). Rush is a pure shooting guard, Rudy-T only played him some of the time when Kobe was on the bench (rarely) in the beginning of the season instead of playing Rush and Kobe on the court together so that Rush could get the minutes he deserves...Phil will know how to incorporate Sprewell into the offense if he signs, I trust in that...If Sprewell starts, the line-up will look like this:

Kobe Bryant...Aaron McKie/Sasha Vujacic/Tierre Brown
Latrell Sprewell...Smush Parker/Tony Bobbit/Von Wafer

^^Great starting 5^^

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 02:52:36 PM »
could be a good pickup. i kinda wonder how Kobe and Latrell's chemistry on the court would be. If youve watched Spree's career...he is definetely a scorer. He definetely has the shoot first pass second mentality. He might not have the green light so much in LA with Kobe tho. Spree and Kobe on the fast break would be a highlight film tho.

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 02:57:56 PM »
How are Lakers fans happy about the signing? Didn't yall see the way he dogged the T-Wolves cause he couldn't feed is family with that petty muli-million dollar contract offered?

WestCoasta

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 03:14:03 PM »
I just don't think the Lakers need a distraction/head case like Sprewell...........

mrceo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • More Greens Than The Jolly Green Giant
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 05:54:02 PM »

Kobe Bryant...Aaron McKie/Sasha Vujacic/Tierre Brown
Latrell Sprewell...Smush Parker/Tony Bobbit/Von Wafer

^^Great starting 5^^

Great???? Uhhh I wouldn't say great AT ALL, good maybe